Android is number one OS among US phone buyers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by henrikrox, Oct 5, 2010.

1. chukronos macrumors 6502

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Funny how we are comparing one OS on multiple phones and carriers compared to 1 Phone with 1 OS, I still think Apple is ahead, however what would be interesting is if Apple would ever allow other MFG's to use there iOS.

3. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

There is nothing funny about it. So the OS is on multiple devices, so what. Does not negate the comparison of OS to OS. Think what you want, if you want to stay in the dark.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Android is gaining fast momentum from Verizon and Sprint. Both of these carriers are pushing Android pretty hard with devices like Epic 4G, Evo 4G, Droid X and Droid 2. You can find some of android phones for free. Mobile OS war has just began... Android is gaining momentum, but we will see what happens when WM 7 comes out this holiday season on T-mobile and AT&T.

5. Bleak macrumors member

Compare this to the current laptop/desktop scene. Android is windows and iOS is iOS! Multiple companies with one OS beating one company is not something that should surprise anyone.

6. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Buy one get one free offers and free phones on contract sure boost Android's OS expansion... and yet not one single Android phone has been able to best the iPhone's sales. Unless you have stock in google, this Nielsen report is a big... meh.

7. No ice please macrumors 6502

Cause all my friends that don't even know what android is,all they want is "that droid phone with the cool keyboard". If android phones didn't have physical keyboards their market share would be half of what it is.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd be more interested to see retention and a question about whether people would switch if ETFs weren't an issue. Seems like it would be more telling data.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If iPhone was on Verizon and T-Mobile I know we would be seeing a much different story. Pretty much everyone I know wants an iPhone, but can't because they are on Verizon.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My guess is that over time we will see:
    • Android market share to increase. Almost a given since multiple phones from multiple companies will use the Android OS.
    • RIM based phone market share to continue to decrease at a slow rate with Android becoming more popular and the iPhone being is accepted in more business settings.
    • iPhone sales to continue to climb, but at a slower rate. Then level off at some point.

That's my guess and I'm sticking to it. :)

11. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Who's more in the dark? the one that looks at a number of variables or the one with blinders on and narrow criteria?

12. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Hmm thats mind boggling... An OS that is available on multiple carriers and brands of phones is outselling an operating system that is only available on one carrier and one phone in the US... I just cant figure it out...

13. samcraig macrumors P6

who cares. enjoy your phone - whatever OS you have. No need to worry about what the other guy has. Unless you're feeling insecure.

14. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

The more interesting question is, when? Will the levelling off happen prior to the next iPhone revision being released? If so, wouldn't the newest iPhone rejuvanate sales, and thereby stop the levelling off?

15. doboy macrumors 68000

Sadly you're in the dark if you think comparing Android OS to iPhone is comparing OS to OS. Have you ever heard iPad and iPod touch also uses same OS as the iPhone?

16. doboy macrumors 68000

17. budman1961 macrumors regular

I think today alone 4 new phones with some flavor of android were announced.....if you whore enough product out with cheap price points, yes, you will sell a metric ton of them.

Apple? 1 phone, 1 carrier, market domination. The facts are the facts. Pick the #1 Android phone, and see how it stacks up.:)

18. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I just think it is funny that a year ago die hard iPhone fans were laughing off Android. Claiming it would never get off the ground and die before it ever gained widespread adoption. The iPhone was going to kill it off before it ever got any market traction.

So what will things look like in another year? It will be interesting to watch and in the end strong competition means we all win with better products.

I guess that is great if you want a world where everyone carries the same exact phone. I know a lot of iPhone fans want it that way, but I like the different choices that Android gives you. When it comes to this stuff it is all opinion. Google is taking the Windows path to build their smartphone market share and Apple is doing what they always do.

19. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

Why do people keep bringing up market share as if it matters...

First of all, Apple's mobile division is making more profit than all the android phone makers combined. And the same goes for development for iOS apps being more profitable for android apps.

iPhone's numbers are still in growth, the issue is that Smart Phones are an emerging market, everyone is growing, is it really surprising that the amount of growth of 1 companies sales is less than the amount of growth of the other like 8 companies combined?

Apple is also selling a uniform experience, the majority of the current iPhone sales are iPhone 4s, they all share the same specs and are all in the top tier of phones. Android has phones in entry, mid and top tier. I mean they are still selling Android phones that use Android 1.6, still making phones that use 528mhz processors, I mean if you look for example at Verizon's current Android phones, there are 7 available as new phones (not refurbs) of those phones if you use the number of reviews to estimate sales/popularity, #1 is Droid Incredible, #2 is Droid X... #3 is LG Ally. Go to T-Mobile's site, look at the android phones and sort by best sellers. #1 MyTouch 3g, #2 MyTouch 3g Slide, #3 Garminphone.

How about amazon.com of their top 10 android phones the obvious ones are there of course, all 4 Galaxy S phones, the Evo, the Incredible and the Droid 2, the other 3 phones, the HTC Hero, the Samsung Moment, and the HTC Aria (which are all a penny on amazon shocking right?)

Of the top 24 android phones on Amazon: only 9 can be considered top tier/current tech phones. 16 cost $0.01, 4 are under $99.99, 3 are $149.99 and 1 is $179.99

Retailers are forced to lower prices to make these phones seem like a comparable value despite the component and sell thru prices being roughly the same as iPhones.

My point is Android is moving more phones yes, but they are moving more lower spec phones than top spec ones, and are being forced to lower the prices as even the newest android phones are outdated rather quickly.

At the end of the day Android is cannibalizing it's own market.

Sure you can argue that the competition is good cause it's lowering prices for consumers, but it's also lowering perceived value, reducing profit and ultimately slowing innovation for the companies that sell these phones. They are so focused on competing with spec sheets that they aren't innovating any where else. None of the other manufacturers have the type of profits needed to try things like apples new antenna, sure it's a flawed design, but that doesn't change the fact that developing something like that required a tremendous R&D budget and shows apple is looking to innovate. In much the same way apple chose to go with a better quality camera instead of a higher resolution camera.

Alright alright...

TLDR

Basically market share is really irrelevant compared to profitability and apple's sales are still growing, so ****.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't get why this nonsense is always posted here

21. Nevpaurion macrumors regular

I had android for quite a while and I've just recently been given an iphone 4.
    To be honest there isn't really a "better" OS it's really just about what you want from your phone. Fanboys on both sides of the fence aside, people just want phones that do what they need them to do, period.

From my experience apple's product is more stable, a fashion statement, operates more smoothly, and is prettier both OS wise and physically.

With android you can pick exactly what kind of phone you want, as most carriers offer different phones with the android OS on it. Don't want a fat phone with a keyboard? No problem, get one of the touch screen only hand sets. Feel the need for a qwerty keypad? No worries there's plenty of android phones with that as well. You also get much more control and customization ability with android, I mean for pete's sake you can't even use your own notification tones with iphone.

In the end it's just different phones for different people. As of right now iphone 4 manages to suit enough of my needs to out weigh the things I miss from Android so I'm sticking with it, and I'm more than happy to do so as I love the phone.

22. doboy macrumors 68000

Excellent post!

That's why all these vendors making android phones need to differentiate themselves from each other by putting their own customized skins that make it so difficult to update to the latest operating system.

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple = quality over quantity.
    Google = quantity over quality.

The iPhone is doing extremely well for just one model/device. There's a new Android smartphone every other week. There are 5 Droids (X, Incredible, 2, 1, Pro), 4 Galaxy S phones and a laundry list of HTC phones. The iPhone was/is able to outsell ALL of these devices combined for years, until the recently ended quarter when 10.6 million Android phones were sold compared to iPhone's 8.6 million. iPhone is a phone, Android is a platform. You can't compare the two directly, more like iOS versus Android.