Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
it's interesting to see Windows mobile/WP7 at 7% of new purchases (compared to 25% for iOS) ... I didn't realize it was so popular.

P.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
iOS needs to evolve. It is old and stale...

How terrible is the notification system? And it's been around for almost 4 years!

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
And next week there will be a new survey that says the opposite. These reports are getting old. Must be a slow news day.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
This argument is getting old now. As usual, iFans are in denial.

While his specific point might be an old one, it does hold some validity. New Android phones can be had at prices and with deals that undercut the relative expensive nature of the iPhone. That's not to talk down Android whatsoever, only to say that Apple is perhaps not taking full advantage of that smartphone segment (save for the old 3Gs at relatively low prices). Android is and has been successful in large part because it is more prevalent at all price points, and is available on more carriers.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Some will be bothered about IOS not being the most dominant. I personally don't care, I just want the best mobile OS.

You'll care when the majority of developers will jump to Android because it has more users. Why do you think most people still use Windows? Because it has more software. Once you get behind, it's tough to keep up. Look at Windows Phone 7. They have to pull really hard to get some developers to build apps for them.

I have to say I'm impressed how Google managed to get this off the ground so fast. Microsoft is still struggling, and they have a pool of traditional .Net developers behind them to potentially build apps for their mobile platform.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Once again, the seperating into 'smartphone' and 'tablet' markets makes little sense.

As the capabilities of both devices grow we'll soon find that the only difference between the two is screen size.

Do we consider the 13" Macbook to be in a different market than the 15" Macbook Pro? No, they're both laptops.

And thus, everyone will soon wake up and realize that ALL iOS devices should be compared against ALL Android devices. These 'smartphone only' lists may still make sense in 2011, but in 2 or 3 years these kind of measurements will be seen as worthless.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

Keep in mind that this is smartphone marketshare only. It doesn't include the iPhone and iPad, or android-based tablets. Include those and you'd have a much different picture.

Edit: Small White Car gets it. Exactly what I was trying to say. Although I would argue it doesn't make sense to look at smartphones only even now.

srathi

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
As much as I want to see Apple sell phones, I also like to see healthy competition to keep away anti-trust issues. Apple is for people who like quality high-end stuff and Android is for Kmart shoppers ;)

iPhone 3GS is available for $49 at Walmart. Your point?

Simiber

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
1to rule them all..!

So one manufacturer Vs the rest, I think there would be something wrong with apple having more dominance than every other (notable) smartphone maker put together..!

Plus, like many have already said, competition is good..!

Now please let iOS five be good..! I get tingly thinking about it..!:D

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
And yet the entire Android platform generates less revenue in a year than iTunes does in a single quarter.

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
For once, I'd like to see a pie chart that includes iPod Touch and iPad, which also run iOS. What's the Android device equivalent of the iPod touch?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
As relevant as saying Apple sells more phones than Android does . . . oh wait, Android isn't a phone seller/manufacturer.

Well Apple doesn't sell its software for use on any other phones (or computers), so how is it competing with software-installed numbers on all hardware types? If people were shifting from Samsung or Motorola phones with Apple iOS to Samsung or Motorola phones with Android, than Apple would be losing in the software market.

This has always be a case of apples to broccoli (yeah, it's not even a fruit versus fruit comparison).

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
This was inevitable given the number of phone models each OS is on. It was clear to see from way off. However if Apple are making more money than Google from these units it won't be anything for them to worry about.

It's much like Windows and OS X, there's the volume model (Windows) and the Apple model. I'm happy with my iPhone and I haven't met anyone who's been unhappy with theirs either, that said, I've also not spoken to any friends who are unhappy with Android.

Competition is good and while ever there is the competition then innovation will be driven more than if there was a monopoly, so this can't really be seen as a bad thing.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
As much as I want to see Apple sell phones, I also like to see healthy competition to keep away anti-trust issues. Apple is for people who like quality high-end stuff and Android is for Kmart shoppers ;)

Considering you take a shot at economics and try look mature/pro/high-en, it's funny you have a forum signature with your apple gear and best app. Do you realize how retarded and insecure are you just for trying to look cool with a sig like that?

And what's wrong with K-mart shoppers in the first place? ****ing racist.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
History just repeating itself

Android scares the hell out of Apple :eek:

Of course, because Apple is making the same mistakes that let Windows get +95% market share in spite of Apple's early lead in PCs.

A "closed" eco-system has no chance against an "open" eco-system.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I really hope that Apple sees trends like this and realizes it's time to change their game plan. No more once a year phones. Time to kick the innovation level up a few notches. Time for over the air OS updates, over the air app installs, wireless syncing and everything else Android has offered for some time now.

Baloney on so many levels. Apple doesn't need to be like Android to succeed unless you define success as market share. Market share means nothing if you have the margins like Apple does. Fake Steve Jobs (Dan Lyons) said it best last year. To paraphrase, "In three years Android will be huge but we will still have the better business." And if you want to equate market share to developer interest, well, there are articles all over today announcing that developer interest in Android is waning because of fragmentation and tablets while interest in iOS is rising.

So what's better? More people using your product than the other guy's or having sustainable growth and good profits year in and year out?

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Once again, the seperating into 'smartphone' and 'tablet' markets makes little sense.
I'm worried about you.

There's a huge difference between a phone (or at least a device that contains a phone) and a tablet.

But then again, everyone has different tastes. Some can't tell the difference between a Steak and SOS... :eek:

righttime

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Big news!

Wow. A platform that is available on all four major carriers and has dozens of phones, passed the iPhone (which *just* became available on its second carrier) in overall usage. So I guess Google should be patting themselves on the back for this historic achievement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.