Android Phone that matches the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ssdeg7, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ssdeg7, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Hi, I would like to know if there is an phone with Android that matches or gets close to the iPhone in hardware and specs taking into consideration the cost (not subsidized). I need the phone in the next two weeks so unreleased phones are not really an option.

For example if a phone has 8mpx rear camera, 1GB of ram but costs $900 maybe it's not worth it.

Edit: The carrier doesn't matter, as long as it is GSM

2. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I am a soon to be former droid owner and my opinion is nothing compares to what the iphone as a whole(itunes, cases, docks, and apps) brings to the table.

3. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Totally different devices. Nothing to compare. It's up to you.

4. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

But which gets close or is a good phone to buy, one in which you get great specs for a reasonable price?

Any suggestions?

5. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

When it comes out, the Motorola Atrix 4G is going to be the best phone in the world.

6. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Who is your provider?

7. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Droid x or droid incredible. Both have same processor speeds and with sd card similar storage size.

8. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I probably should have asked this before giving my suggestions.

9. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Provider is not a problem, though I would like it to be GSM not CDMA.

10. aohus macrumors 68000

depends on what kind of phone user you are.

if you like to fully customize your phone with no lockdowns, get an android.

if you want a phone that has slightly less functionality than the android, but easy to use, get the ip4.

im an android guy, so the best android device out there by far is the motorola atrix, coming to at&t. its by far the most powerful spec wise smartphone out there.

i have to have a 4.0+ inch screen. so its my personal preference. until iPhone goes 4.0+, im sticking with android, and even then, i'd have to think if i were to make a switch to iPhone.

11. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

So basically it's Motorola or HTC, no good SonyEricsson Androids out there?
    The phone is really not for me, it's for a friend, I love my iPhone 4, but he want's an Android and since I don't own one I would like to know from those who do.

12. aohus macrumors 68000

ericsson is notoriously bad with delivering updates, as well as samsung.

the best android hardware makers are HTC and Motorola.

im currently a droidx owner, in my personal opinion, its the best android phone out there thus far for android.

with the new android devices coming out, i'd recommend the atrix for AT&T subscribers, and the droid bionic for Verizon subscribers. dual core + tegra2 SoC = win win.

eventually honeycomb will be on android devices, im thinking 6 months from now.

13. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Might as well get the latest and greatest. The Atrix is very intriguing to me. I might have to consider it when it comes out. Seems I still have an upgrade left :D

14. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

15. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

The problem is that I need it now, and probably the Atrix will cost way too much in which case I personally would rather buy an iPhone

16. aohus macrumors 68000

how would it cost a lot? its the same price with contract, $199 + contract... shouldn't be a suprise here, unless he wants to buy it unsubsidized.

as for the my touch4g, i would imagine he should wait for the new phones that are soon to be released. why does he want one now? buy older tech now? better to get the new phones at the same price.

17. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Atrix would probably do the 199-299 subsidized price. But if you need it now and don't care about the provider, the Sprint Evo 4G gets really good reviews

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/19/htc-evo-4g-review/

18. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

He needs it without contract and it's a gift which we need in the next 2 weeks. A fair price without contract would be I guess about $400, he doesn't need a phone that does everything, it doesn't need a gyroscope or many gadgets, it would be nice if it had a nice design, two cameras, a rear one with 2-3mpx (don't need 5 or 8 or something like that) and with android, I think 800 MHz is fine for someone who will not play much.

19. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Hi!

No! There is not an android that matches the iPhone 4 in any way, shape, or form.

My recommendation for you is to wait about 5-6 months for the new iPhone 4S or 5 to come out.

20. aohus macrumors 68000

you should probably reread his OP

i know you're an ardent apple fanboy, but please, just reread his requirement.

its evident that his friend wants android no questions asked. please, reading comprehension goes a long way.

21. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Maybe that's true, and that would be a good option, but I need it in the next two weeks, and well, my friend wants an Android, do you know of any good Android phones?

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are many phones that match or exceed the iPhone's specs. What they don't match is the operating system and integration with itunes (some will say this is an advantage, and others will call it a disadvantage).

I've had an iPhone, and I've had a couple of android based phones.

Smart phones are more then their specs, its their ability to get the job done in way that works well with the owner. I'd be less inclined to a spec whore and more to see which platform fits your needs the best.

23. aohus macrumors 68000

i think this can be narrowed down by which carrier he will be on.

24. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I just answered the OP's thread title, "Android phone that matches the iPhone 4"

which is none...reading comprehension goes a long way

25. aohus macrumors 68000

yet you don't read the OP? good job kiddo.