Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kantar Worldpanel has released new smartphone operating system market share data for the first quarter of 2015, providing a regional breakdown of Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows Phone and other mobile platform adoption in the United States, Australia, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico during the three-month period ending March.

Kantar-Q1-15-USA1.jpg
Android continued to have the highest market share among mobile platforms worldwide, as expected, although the continued success of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus helped drive iOS adoption higher in the first quarter. Kantar Worldpanel claims that 32.4% of Apple's new customers in the five big European countries surveyed switched to iOS from Android during the first three months of the year.

The regional breakdown for each platform per country:

United States:
Android: 58.1%
iOS: 36.5%
Windows Phone: 4.3%
BlackBerry: 0.4%
Australia:
Android: 52.3%
iOS: 38.4%
Windows Phone: 7.3%
BlackBerry: 1.6%
United Kingdom:
Android: 52.9%
iOS: 38.1%
Windows Phone: 8%
BlackBerry: 0.7%
France:
Android: 64.6%
iOS: 19.4%
Windows Phone: 14.1%
BlackBerry: 1%

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Android Switchers Drive iOS Adoption in Europe During First Quarter

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
these 7 % in Spain account for stolen iPhones from tourists by the way. just kidding ... or maybe not ;)

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
So I take it that there are almost no wealthy people in Spain, Argentina, Brazil, or Mexico? :D

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Windows Phone doesn’t seem to be doing all that bad in Europe.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
I have 3 tablets, but only 1 phone.

I have an iPad Mini Retina, an nVidia Shield, and an ASUS Vevo NoteTab 8. As far as I know each one is considered a best in class device for the OS they run. I respect them all and use them all.

When I am working, I trust my iPad implicitly. I teach Information Security. I am a student and write papers. My iPad coupled with a clamshell replaced my laptop last year.

When I am playing (experimenting or games) I use the Android. Its Linux base makes it a powerful ally. I am enjoying it as a console replacement. If Steam used Android as its base, my shield devices would be the ultimate for entertainment.

When I am watching movies I like to watch them on the Asus. Most of my movies are iTunes based. I installed iTunes for Windows and watch on it as opposed to my iPad because the screen format matches the video format.

I would not change any of the three of them.

Market share is irrelevant. I have three different devices. And I enjoy them all. Market share does not change their value.

I have an iPhone though. Android is good for games, and I like it for that. Windows is good for compatibility to enterprise systems, it does a great job. But when I need to depend on a system, and get work done...

It's an Apple every time.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Google and the Android OEMs should be absolutely embarrassed that a high end device from one manufacturer has so much market share.

I mean seriously you're selling $50 phones off contract, there are dozens of you, and you outspend Apple in marketing by a country mile. What the heck is wrong in Android land?

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
But but but......

Android users have been telling me they have 80% of the market and iOS has less than 15%.

Of course, they quote sales estimates from Strategy Analytics that show these sales figures and somehow think that's the same thing as subscriber share (actual devices in use). Something most of us knew all along.

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Moral of this study. People like cheap android phones. They should show the market share for premium Android phones. 100% Guaranteed it would be a lopsided victory for Apple.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Really quite amazing that Apple can make one/two phones a year and that competes with the hundreds and thousands of Android phones created year on year.

Good Game Apple.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
So I take it that there are almost no wealthy people in Spain, Argentina, Brazil, or Mexico? :D

I would say that all of these countries are in the "emerging market" category. And Apple has not had as much traction in those areas. Clearly cost is a driver there which makes Apple less attractive. Size also matters because often the phone is the only "computer." that someone will have access to.

The new sizes for Apple helps, but only in later years where the older models become available in the secondary market.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Wp

I think I'm most surprised by the Windows Phone numbers. Didn't realize it was doing as well as that.

I've still never met/seen anyone that actually has/had one.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Google and the Android OEMs should be absolutely embarrassed that a high end device from one manufacturer has so much market share.

I mean seriously you're selling $50 phones off contract, there are dozens of you, and you outspend Apple in marketing by a country mile. What the heck is wrong in Android land?
Not really, but OK. Different strategies for both OS's. Apple wanted to control iOS from the start which is why they make the iPhone and iOS. Google wanted to get Android out for everyone to use which is why many manufacturers make Android devices. It is honestly no different from Windows and Microsoft in that regard. Just because it is a different strategy to get from point A to point B doesn't mean there is anything 'wrong.' In the end, Google and Apple both want the same thing: For you to use their operating system.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
Fascinating Trends

It is so fascinating scrolling through the interactive chart. Most of the year Android dominates the market and overtakes every other platform. But then, ever September, Apple announces their new phone, and in a matter of two months it not only meets the massive lead Android had, but it dramatically overtakes it.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Not really, but OK. Different strategies for both OS's. Apple wanted to control iOS from the start which is why they make the iPhone and iOS. Google wanted to get Android out for everyone to use which is why many manufacturers make Android devices. It is honestly no different from Windows and Microsoft in that regard. Just because it is a different strategy to get from point A to point B doesn't mean there is anything 'wrong.' In the end, Google and Apple both want the same thing: For you to use their operating system.

Agreed...for the Android OEMs (besides Samsung) looks like a zero to very little profit to be made - but for Google, it makes sense- they want eye balls for Ads and they have a billion of them. I don't follow Google finances to say if they are making or not making money from the Android OS but at a high level its a good plan for them.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Spain emerging market? What?

In the same way that Italy and Greece are. They are part of the EU, but they do not have a stable economy like Germany and UK. High unemployment and high debt, low GDP growth. Maybe there is a different term to use here, but my other comments I think apply.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
But but but......

Android users have been telling me they have 80% of the market and iOS has less than 15%.

Of course, they quote sales estimates from Strategy Analytics that show these sales figures and somehow think that's the same thing as subscriber share (actual devices in use). Something most of us knew all along.

It think you are a little confused and mixing Kantar numbers with worldwide numbers, but don't let that break your rant

----------

In the same way that Italy and Greece are. They are part of the EU, but they do not have a stable economy like Germany and UK. High unemployment and high debt, low GDP growth. Maybe there is a different term to use here, but my other comments I think apply.

Italy, Spain and Greece are not emerging countries,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.