Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I think, money will win in the end. The more money you make from your phone, the more you can put into R&D. The more you spend on development, the better your product.

Not really. Read Steve Jobs's quote on R&D. I'm not treating his quotes like the Bible, but I'm sure he trained Tim Cook to act like him. They are NOT going to rely on R&D money.

"Innovation has nothing to do with how many R&D dollars you have. When Apple came up with the Mac, IBM was spending at least 100 times more on R&D. It's not about money. It's about the people you have, how you're led, and how much you get it."

Last edited:

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
You are posting to a wrong forum. Go to investment forums with this stuff. For regular phone users vendor profits do not matter (if anything, higher profits simply indicates how much you were ripped of). Market share is another matter. The more Android devices there is, the more app developers will be interested to develop for Android. As far as phones are concerned, Android Market already offers the same (probably even greater) number of apps as App Store. Very soon the developers will be treating iOS like a poor cousin (remember Mas vs PC story?).

If developers are not making money they will not develop for the platform.

What the Android market share number does not reflect is an accurate addressable market, because the Android system is simply too fractured.

This fractured Android market not only makes it difficult for developers to reach users, it also increases your costs in developing your application. All of which are significant barriers.

Another thing to consider. If Google isn't making money from Android the community is at risk they will stop supporting it.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Typical fanboy reactions. They give away iPhones for free, too. But some cost $100 and $200 and $300, just like Android phones.

I test iOS devices as my job (for our app), and I much prefer them over my current Android device. I'll probably get a 5 in June or whenever they come out.

But at this moment, Android has a bigger share of the mobile OS market than Apple. And yet, Apple is making bazillions more dollars.

Not sure why everyone is so threatened with the idea that Android currently has a small advantage...

You mean bigger smartphone market share. I'm interested in knowing whose OS is the most popular, and I think it's Apple.

But I agree, there are fanboy reactions here.

----------

And your point is?:confused:

Few use Ice Cream Sandwich. It does not dominate.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
is the high end phone market. Apple has conceded high end smartphone market to Android. Compared to Android phones, iPhone is way behind:

* no 4G (LTE)
* only 512 MB RAM (half of Android phones)
* only 800MHz CPU (half of what Android best phones offer)
* only 2 cores (same story - half)
* no HD screen
* VGA front facing camera (5x lower resolution than Android phones have)
* no memory card support

Yet the iPhone sells more units in one month than any individual Android handset sells in an entire year. Be gone troll.

TwinMonkeys

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
I don't like going out of my way to bash Android. For Apple to create great products doesn't imply that their competitors don't bring some good ideas to the table. That being said, here's some thoughts on the phone market.

* Google has more than 50% market share, yet can't really find a way to really monetize Android. With patent lawsuits against Google from Oracle, I'm really starting to wonder where Google goes with Android. Are they going to subsidize this forever making no money off of it?

* iPhone business is very healthy. People dismissed the iPhone 4S as not being enough of an upgrade over iPhone 4, but the reality is that the iPhone 4S was targeting 3GS users that hadn't yet upgraded because their plans weren't done. Apple has accomplished their goal with 4S IMO.

* RIM is approaching a dangerous point in market share. Their App situation isn't good today - what happens when they sink in share even further? Few companies will make apps for them at all.

* I want Windows phone to succeed to some extent just so there's always some more choices available and pressure on Apple to create the best products possible...but its getting sort of sad that their tiny market share is dropping. Can Balmer survive there much longer?

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
is the high end phone market. Apple has conceded high end smartphone market to Android. Compared to Android phones, iPhone is way behind:

* no 4G (LTE)
* no HD screen
* no memory card support

What bubble do you live in? This kind of "hardware" spec list is not what moves the mass market.

Yes, there are users who care about the stats like above. But as an example, the 600 million China mobile subscribers who are about to get access to iPhones...an overwhelming majority of them could care less.

It is only about two things.

1. What functionality does your phone offer.

2. Does the phone meet your price point.

One could add a third item, which is culturally which one do you want as well.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
And your point is?:confused:

it's pretty obvious... whats the point about bragging about an OS when you cant install it on most of the phones that they were made for.... makes it rather pointless no matter how cool you think it is cause chances are you can't run it on your phone.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

* no 4G (LTE)
* no HD screen
* no memory card support

No, actually.
-They have 4G. My dad is using it right now.
-The iPhones use retina displays. It's as high res as needed. They are capable of playing 1080p video.
-The iPhone does support memory cards with an extra dongle, though they do not come with a slot.
-The iPhone has a 1GHz A9 processor, not 800MHz.

And you are combining specs from different Android phones to make one theoretical super-phone then comparing it to just one iPhone model.

The high-res front-facing camera is useless, too, and the extra RAM is not needed for what the phone is used for.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't like going out of my way to bash Android. For Apple to create great products doesn't imply that their competitors don't bring some good ideas to the table. That being said, here's some thoughts on the phone market.

* Google has more than 50% market share, yet can't really find a way to really monetize Android. With patent lawsuits against Google from Oracle, I'm really starting to wonder where Google goes with Android. Are they going to subsidize this forever making no money off of it?

* iPhone business is very healthy. People dismissed the iPhone 4S as not being enough of an upgrade over iPhone 4, but the reality is that the iPhone 4S was targeting 3GS users that hadn't yet upgraded because their plans weren't done. Apple has accomplished their goal with 4S IMO.

* RIM is approaching a dangerous point in market share. Their App situation isn't good today - what happens when they sink in share even further? Few companies will make apps for them at all.

* I want Windows phone to succeed to some extent just so there's always some more choices available and pressure on Apple to create the best products possible...but its getting sort of sad that their tiny market share is dropping. Can Balmer survive there much longer?

All good points.

The RIM, Microsoft aspects are the real meat here in my opinion. What is going to be more interesting is not what happens between Apple and Google.

It is what happens with RIM and Microsoft. It is quite possible that the story of RIM is already over. But Microsoft does have potential.

What these Android market share numbers tell though, is that Microsoft needs to get into the game soon. There are still plenty of signs that Microsoft has a play to make yet.

But in the end, I think the phone market will end up with two systems.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag

Honestly, I think Google is going to pull a Zune with Motorola and leave all the OEMs in their current mess that they made for themselves.

Only future I can see for RIM (and admittedly I'm just a random person on the internet) is stuff like this. They lost and either due to ego or something were not able to correct the problem in time (Microsoft was faster to see the problem then RIM was...that is really sad).

Windows Phone 7 was a nice step in the right direction but I fear Windows 8 will be Windows XP for tablets but in reverse (lets tack a desktop operating system on a tablet operating system). Microsoft seems to have a plan but they keep nailing their feet to the floor.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA

Honestly, I think Google is going to pull a Zune with Motorola and leave all the OEMs in their current mess that they made for themselves.

NAG, in one aspect I completely agree with you. Google needs to focus on just a handful of devices for Android. Not the 100's that are out there now.

However, Samsung is the top Android developer out there today. Google can't ignore that.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
So a bunch of hardware with no specific one having any kind of large sale who are running an OS that is free and made by an advertising company has more share than one phone with a stable OS made by one company (Apple Co.) has moved up to the front of the pack. But considering that Google makes absolutely no money on the OS and is more of a marketing gimmick we are suppose to get what out of this information?:rolleyes:

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Congrats to both Apple and Android. Talk about a major *flip* of the entire phone industry. When Apple said it was reinventing the phone. They weren't kidding. Looks like the only ones that "got it" in time were the Droid phones.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
NAG, in one aspect I completely agree with you. Google needs to focus on just a handful of devices for Android. Not the 100's that are out there now.

However, Samsung is the top Android developer out there today. Google can't ignore that.

I don't know if Google can really follow Apple's strategy. Sure, they should reduce the number of models out there and clean it up a bit, but I think they're aiming for a different group of users.

Apple makes their stuff work well with their other stuff, controls the system a lot, and makes it easy for the technologically challenged.

Google can easily pick off the other side: the people who think it's cool to have a hackable phone, the ones who like to have an unregulated market, the ones who want a lot of different models to choose from, and the ones who don't like to be controlled. Personally, I think these people are shortsighted. They don't realize that the regulation is, for the most part, good for them, and having a stable App Store separated from the hackstore Cydia is key.

----------

Whats wrong with being an obsessed irrational fanboy?

The problems are "obsessed", "irrational", and the lack of a comma between the two words.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
The hostility against Android in this forum is amazing.

Derp.

Nice trolling :rolleyes: but I see very little hostility and some sound analysis from posters. The real question is if Google can't make money from Android then where will they go in say 5 years. I figure their goal is selling apps but Android users are know for not buying so where to now.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Typical fanboy reactions. They give away iPhones for free, too. But some cost $100 and $200 and $300, just like Android phones.

You're right, and I don't get what the big deal is about giving them away for "free". Obviously, the real payment goes to the carriers, who pay Apple for the phone. It's not free, just cheaper. The old iPhones are the low-end models, but I still think they're great.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That's what most Mac users said about the PC and Windows in the early 90s.

1980/90s all over again

Now fast-forward to the 2010s and we had 2 of the biggest PC manufacturers debating whether to even be in the PC market at all.

Both Dell and HP were seriously contemplating their existence in the PC business.

Market share is both a blessing and a curse. Sure you can boast about sales numbers... but it's slowly killing you from the inside.

It seems that selling cheap low-margin PCs isn't exactly a dream... and I think the Android OEMs are getting a taste of this too.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
apple wank posts are so entertaining to read, trying to reason with each other about what is better is POINTLESS

get what u think suits your needs and chill, there's a market for both my god

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Nice trolling :rolleyes: but I see very little hostility and some sound analysis from posters.

LOL, right.

----------

apple wank posts are so entertaining to read, trying to reason with each other about what is better is POINTLESS

get what u think suits your needs and chill, there's a market for both my god

Fanboys only want ONE market. Just like Big Brother... just like Steve Jobs.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
"Right" is right. The most irrational, unreasonable posts have been from the two Android-supporters here. I think I only saw one Apple fanboy post.

Oh sure throw some rational non-fanboy non-obsessed logic in this thread :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.