Android users: How much have you spent in the Play Store? Wanna find out?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, May 9, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

After recent b.s. surveys proclaiming iOS users fly in planes and drink wine while Android users ride buses and drink beer, I decided to look and see just how much money I have spent on Google/Android products.

Wanna see how much you have spent after all this time on IAPs, apps, music, movies, Google devices, etc? Well you can. Download an app called "My Paid Apps" by Jens Geyti and let it look up all those purchases and then add it up. The total might surprise you. A lot!

Link to app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jkg.mypaidapps

Reminder, if like me you have a ton of data, it may take up to 20 minutes to get all the data and spit out the info. Let it run in the background while you do something else. (Additionally, if you bought apps through Amazon, I don't believe it shows up here or if you bought devices from Best Buy or whever, like I have, that info is also missing.)

Here's a few pics showing my data. I started purchases in the beginning of 2012, so this is roughly 2 years worth and I tend to support developers by paying for pro versions or donating $.99 for no adds.
    This data flies in the face of those recent surveys, and this doesn't include all the money I spent on iOS or now Windows Phone.

Grand total given to Google in 2 years from me: $17,629.43
    What about you?

Attached Files:

2. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Mine was about $320 minus the cost of a Nexus One.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have paid for 5 things on Google Play with a total spent of $6.25. I've had my HTC One since last July.

4. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

To further break it down

In App purchases: $160 (mostly live holdem poker)
    Apps Installed: $50
    Apps Uninstalled: $50
    Books: $35
    Music: $30
    Nexus One: $530

All this since late 2009 though.

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Holy &@%#! :eek::eek:

If your apps, movies, and devices account for roughly $1,800, where's the other approximately $16,000 from?

And truth be told, do you really believe your personal experience is representative of the vast majority of consumers? I spend more on tech than most and I can guarantee I don't come anywhere near your expenditures. I hazard a guess that most of us on these forums spend quite a bit more than most people so polling here isn't really going to prove anything either.

And I guess I'm living proof of those studies (which I also don't necessarily buy into either) as I use both Android and iOS and generally fly yet usually prefer beer. ;)

6. mclld macrumors 68000

7. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

I pay for Google Music All Access monthly and maybe £30 of apps and games and books since i've had Android.

And i've bought Nexus 4 & 5 devices from the Play Store.

So about £700 maybe in like 3 years.

8. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I've probably spent less than 15 bucks on the Google pay store and on the app store 200 tops :) and that's since apple launch it.

I don't rent/buy movies or books and a lot apps have free alternatives, specially on Android.

9. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Thanks for the app quite interesting

My amount just for apps in about 2 years

[​IMG]

10. Fernandez21, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Since April 2012 I've spent $700 on 119 items. That includes $400 for a Nexus 5 that was actually free (I got a Moto X free on contract and traded it for a Nexus 5. Then I did a warrantee swap with Google, which is where that charge is coming from even though they never really charged me, just put a hold on my account until they got the old unit ). $275 on apps and $25 for in app purchases.

Though I'm guessing I've spent at least twice that in iTunes, not even including all the money I've spent on Apple hardware.

11. ozaz macrumors 65816

App requests full access to my account. Understandable I suppose for it to do what it does. But makes me feel a bit uneasy. As an aside, how common is it for apps to request this? I don't think I've noticed it before with other apps.

I think we can safely call you an outlier :)

Good question!

12. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

since july 25,2012:

$36.61
    avg:4.58

6 apps, 2 dlc

13. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

It appears I've dropped $161.23, but that also includes 7 months of Google Play Music All Access, so more like $90 on paid apps. $4.13 average, mostly brought up by the All Access subscription, I probably spend an average of $2-3 on apps I buy.

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

In app purchases? Maybe someone's really addicted to tapped out and smurfs village?

15. Hot Tech Today macrumors newbie

Hot Tech Today

As a developer, I see about 1/6th the sales on Android as I receive on iOS and my app has a significantly smaller competition base on Android (not a game).

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

€310 here ...

----------

I assume App is calculating it wrong. Those totals equal $1762 .... It merely puts a comma in the wrong place.

17. tbayrgs, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Don't think so MRU, my math shows $1.853.33 for the last three screenshots. The total item count is very different as well.

Also, FWIW, my total since July 2012, excluding devices is $211.77, including $7.99/mo for Google Play Music All Access since launch and quite a bit for games for my sons.

18. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

$6.99 on 1 app I need.....but I've had it since 2011.

19. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

His total item count is 2,381 so it very well could be $17,000

His money adds up to $1,852 but that's still unaccounted for 2,114 items

I'm taking answer A) smurfs & tapped out. FTW

20. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

:p, missed it in your first post, good for a chuckle.

And he actually typed out the total in his first post so he must agree with it.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Jesus in that case !! :eek::eek::eek:

22. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Not quite. Dead Trigger and Asphalt 8 FTW. ;)

But IAPs doesn't just mean game purchases. This includes donations to devs, upgrading to pro versions of apps, etc. I have given a lot of money to 3rd party developers, especially if I think they have a great app.
    I like to think I have had a small part in bringing the Play Store into parity with iOS. Because in 2011, the Android app store was really crappy. Now I'm trying to do the same thing with the Windows Phone store.

----------

As stated above, a lot has gone to developers, but that gets counted as an IAP.

P.S. Also just realized I forgot to add in the screenshots of books, magazine and music subscriptions.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Will you be my benefactor ;)

No in all seriousness, fair play to you :) it's a very generous and kind thing to do.

24. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

That's good though, you really have helped Android grow.

25. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Cheers mate.

I give what I can, when I can. Pay it forward. ;)