Android Vs. iPhone (2.2 vs 4.01)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fenderbass146, Sep 18, 2010.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

This is my best attempt at an unbiased review for people possibly thinking about switching worlds.. Either iphone to android or vica-versa

I have had ipod touches and iphone for the last three years including 1st gen ipod touch iphone 3g, 3gs, and 4. I absolutely loved all of my iphones, but due to the reception issue with the 4 I figured it was time for a switch and after the greatness of the iphone 4 i couldnt go back to a 3gs so i decided to give andriod a try

Enter into the picture. Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate with Verizon.

I have been using the galaxy s and have found things i have loved and things I also have not.. Here is my honest and trying not to be biased pros and cons list.

Android: Pro's
    Service Provider choice. in my case Verizon.
    More Device choices.
    OS customizations and mods are unlimited
    Widgets
    Expandable Memory and User removable batterys
    Better Notification Systems
    Browser Ad-ons
    Free GPS Navigation-3D
    Doesnt need itunes to sync and more media can play on it avi dvix etc...
    True multitasking

Con's
    Operating system as not as poilished. Sometimes lags or glitches.
    Android market not even close to as good as app store
    Devices are not as good as iphone 4 yet.
    Battery life.

iPhone 4 Pro's
    The best device available for media and internet.
    The screen resolution is amazing. However color isn't as good as superamoled so its a trade off
    The camera is the best phone camera on any phone.
    Very responsive and user friendly straight forward.
    Glass design makes phone sturdier and feel richer.
    Multitasking. Not true, however apple did a great job with it. Also app managment is done better
    Overall easier to use.
    App Store-itunes-gamecenter-itunes.

iphone cons.
    Tied to att
    no device choices.
    Reception issues. (dont tell me its not a problem. I had a 3gs never had a dropped call, on iphone 4 even with a case on 1 out of 2 calls i dropped. Thats my reason for trying android... also i tried multiple phones.)
    Very limited. What apple says goes.
    both pro and con is itunes...

For me personally:
    Verizon is slightly cheaper because my girlfriend is on Verizon so unlimited text to her + 500 for only $10 vs. $20 with att. Besides that it is the same.

Better service: In my basement i couldn't even make a call with att on both iphone 4 and 3gs.. with verizon i can talk down there full bars for hours... also I have yet to have a dropped call.

I work at Best Buy and got an unbelievable warranty on my fascinate.

I have 30 days left to decide... if apple does something about antennagate. I would possibly switch back. However so far I am pretty happy with the phone.. and extremly happy with verizon.

I hope this appears to be a unbiased thread.. I know when i was making the decision to possibly switch I would have loved to read something like this.

2. Nicallen63 macrumors newbie

Nicallen63

This is actually pretty helpful for someone like me who is thinking of switching from the Droid X on Verizon to an iPhone 4. Thanks.

3. shandyman Suspended

i disagree with your comment about content that can play on the iPhone, with certain apps, you can watch divx,xvid,avi,mkv, etc on there just by copying them over, i know, i do it every day.

the reception issue isn't that bad, it seems to just be down to luck, me and about 20 peeps i know cannot even replicate the death grip issues, some had proximity probs, 4.1 cleared that up. iPhone is getting better with each update, with 4.1 HDR photos, which is nice for on the go, game center, etc. 4.2 brings wireless printing, airplay, etc.

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Yep, reception issues vary from location to location. Some people have great service with AT&T and some people have poor service. This is not a new thing with AT&T, but the iPhone 4 may or may not help this issue. Personally I have gotten less dropped calls versus my iPhone 3G. Everyone's experience may vary. I am glad if someone finds a phone and provider that they are happy with, that's why competition is good for the consumer.

Personally none of the cons mentioned for the iPhone 4 are there for me.

Tied to att
    Never had issues with AT&T like some people do. The pricing isn't the best, but I get rollover minutes and their service is great in my area.

no device choices.
    Not technically true, there is the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4. Thats two choices, and while it is obvious the iPhone 4 is better, some people might not need the extra features and so the cheaper price is a good thing to offer.

reception issues
    Already talked about above, this varies from location to location. No issues here.

Very limited. What apple says goes.
    This is the closest thing to a "con" that I see. I think Apple is going in the right direction with their app store policies though. They seem to be realizing that customers don't like draconian policies.

iTunes
    You don't have to use iTunes to use an iPhone. Only to set it up, back it up, and do firmware updates. Okay so that is still technically using it, but using iTunes for those things isn't the end of the world. For putting music, videos, etc on the iPhone there are apps that will do that just fine, even ones that will playback different video formats.

5. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Well what you've quoted as pros and cons are not facts - they are personal opinions and well, everyone's got their own opinions.

6. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

This is probably going to sound like a "fanboy" statement but that alone should just negate you from buying a droid. If one of its cons is that its simply put, not as good as the iphone 4, then why even choose between the two?

edit: i'm aware this is all your opinion and Im saying it in regard to you, not everyone in general.

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

It appears you main reason for the switch is reception issue. This is an obvious factor. If you can't get good reception in your area no matter who the provider then you need to make that factor the most important.

What good is an iPhone if you can't get good reception in your area. Same can be said with droid x from Verizon.

There are equal amount of complaints about reception with AT&T and Verizon.

As for me I chose reception. In fact both AT&T and Verizon I would say are equal in my area, Philadelphia. I can't complain one bit about AT&T honestly. I also hear alot of satisfied Verizon customers in my area as well as t-mobile. The only carrier I hear loads of complaints is sprint.

Again there are probably equal amounts of AT&T bashers compared to Verizon bashers.

Marc

8. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Your comparison is obsolete.

iOS is at 4.1 already.

Second the iPhone is only tied to at&t in the States not a big problem for the rest of us, as we get to choose our network.

And thirdly the reception issue is an at&t issue as it was proven not to be much of an issue at all everywhere else in the world.

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

I've had an iphone 3g for nearly two years now and recently moved into a new place where the reception sucks at home (okay at work), so I'm considering moving to another provider. What I can say about iphones is that not much changes year to year, they simply refine the features and hardware to make it better, whereas the android devices have more drastic changes month to month. If you buy a phone and are locked into 2 years, like the iphone, at least you know you'll get one major OS upgrade within that time frame and good apps support for at least two years.

Not having owned a droid, I don't know the full truth to it, but since they have so many different models, it seems like each manufacturer can't possibly provide great support for each model, and I don't just mean fixing bugs, I mean bringing genuine new features over the next year or two. However, that being said, Android phones have a much better variety of form factors. Look at the Droid 2 world edition for example, it has the regular touch keyboard, a swipe keyboard, and a landscape keyboard. It will also work on Verizon and GSM provider, giving some of the best flexibility in providers.

11. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Hi there,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

OP is VOID Wrong OS Compared

Thread Title: Android vs. iPhone (2.2 vs 4.01)

Yet you are comparing Android 2.1 Eclair _NOT_ Froyo ver 2.2 ?

This is very misleading as they do differ substantially.

The Samsung Fascinate is a Verizon model and this link confirm it's running 2.1
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...selectedPhoneId=5528&capId=142&phoneTopRated=

Accuracy of the post is thereby useless and _void_.

13. shandyman Suspended

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Good point...:)

15. Al3x87 macrumors member

this is better than brasil - spain on soccer.
    and i never had problems with reception on iphone 4. i had a nexus one for 3 months and i think android is better than iphone os. android has more free apps than ios, android it's more customizeble than ios,but android's battery life it's always shorter than ios's

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Only the N8 has any semblance of a say amongst all those phones IMHO.

17. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I did mean 2.1 for android.. however i have a jailbroken iphone4.0.1
    Yes these are my opinions and i feel i have a first hand experience. Being an iphone user for 3 years and having an android for a week now and also working at best buy i see all of the new devices.

From my experience the iphone hardware is still better then any phone out there. Yes this is an opinion, however using most android devices and all the iphones, I have found the iphone to be better

It runs smoother and is easier to use.. anyone who argues that has never used an android device

Also its the iphone 4 thats the problem with reception. My 3gs in the same area had no problems.

Also I have yet to see a camera thats better then the iphones. Go head try prove me wrong... At least from the top anrdoid devices none of them compare. Especailly for video.

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

I love the free turn by turn on android devices.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

Great pix. Makes me regret selling the one phone second one from the top. The Nokia N8 doesn't wow me, but glad it should be an improvement to the N82. If the N8 ever came out in red, I'd buy it.

James Whatley (who reminds me of Brandon Flowers of The Killers) was in Nokia World recently. Compare the pix...

iPhone 4
    http://yfrog.com/ncu6kaj

Nokia N8
    http://yfrog.com/n1361yj

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Has to be the most useless comparison i've seen. The background is different and so is the lighting.

21. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Seriously anyone can take a crappy picture with the any camera (even high end DSLRs) if they don't know how to take a good photo to begin with, and also it doesn't help when the environment you are in is not good for photos to begin with.

I have always said that taking good photos has more to do with the skill of the person taking the photo than the actual camera itself. The camera is merely a tool, and in the wrong hands that tool is useless no matter how good of a tool it is. Cameras with more options, bigger sensors, etc, are all just better tools than cameras with less options, smaller sensors, etc. It still takes skill to make use of those tools so that they aren't wasted.

Here is another little fact, megapixels don't mean anything. Nokia announced some new phone with higher MPs than the iPhone 4, and I laughed when they promoted the fact that it has a "Carl Zeiss" lens. Two things about that, one is that megapixels mean nothing, sensor size is the important number not MPs. Second is the fact that Zeiss is the THX of camera lenses, the name is sold so that it makes products look better, it actually has nothing to do with quality.

So yeah, good job Nokia for basically fooling people into thinking the camera on the back of a phone is really better than it is.

Apple might make a big deal out of the camera on the iPhone 4 as well, but at least they did the right thing, make as big of a sensor as you can, have an easy way to control focus, add built in HDR support, and make sure it does good HD video. After all is said and done it isn't the greatest camera out there, but it definitely is the best camera out of any phone out there.

22. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I had a Nexus One prior to the iPhone 4. The biggest things I miss are the customization, notification system, Google Navigation(love it), and the browser speed. iPhone 4's browser is noticeably slower. I don't find the OS to be any more or less responsive unless I had many widgets and/or more intensive live backgrounds running. As for the device itself it compares well minus the camera which isn't nearly as good as iPhone's. Unless you game most of the general apps are on both stores and many are pretty comparable with some having less polish on Android.

23. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Overrated lately. I read about more headaches and steps to achieve something in the JB forum than any other. I want it to work not spend my afternoon ******** around with it and googling how to fix something I botched by digging in my phone's code to change the clock color. I guess I'm the Jeremy Clarkson of the JB world. I get this half ass feel with the whole thing.

24. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Being tied to AT&T is not a negative. I dropped Verizon for its sorry call quality and customer service before the iPhone came out. Plus take a look at the Droid phones - 90% are fat and fugly. There there are the apps. Even if I wanted to switch the apps I use daily simply aren't on the Droid platform.

25. aohus macrumors 68000

but 10% of Droid phones are super nice then right? that means choice. iPhone users dont have that choice. they are limited to one carrier and one smartphone device that has iOS on it. thats kind of a dealbreaker for millions of users.