Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
What about the lame memory card issue on android? A verizon saleman told me you have to use one, or you won't be able to play music or save email attachments. That's kinda a big downside right?

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
What about the lame memory card issue on android? A verizon saleman told me you have to use one, or you won't be able to play music or save email attachments. That's kinda a big downside right?

I never had any memory card issues however I did decide to stay with me iphone
Pry

kdarling

macrumors P6

Every device needs storage memory.

With some, you must choose the size when you buy it, with no way to go higher later.

With others, you can choose the size you need / afford now and upgrade later when you need more or memory prices drop.

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
Seriously anyone can take a crappy picture with the any camera (even high end DSLRs) if they don't know how to take a good photo to begin with, and also it doesn't help when the environment you are in is not good for photos to begin with.

I have always said that taking good photos has more to do with the skill of the person taking the photo than the actual camera itself. The camera is merely a tool, and in the wrong hands that tool is useless no matter how good of a tool it is. Cameras with more options, bigger sensors, etc, are all just better tools than cameras with less options, smaller sensors, etc. It still takes skill to make use of those tools so that they aren't wasted.

Here is another little fact, megapixels don't mean anything. Nokia announced some new phone with higher MPs than the iPhone 4, and I laughed when they promoted the fact that it has a "Carl Zeiss" lens. Two things about that, one is that megapixels mean nothing, sensor size is the important number not MPs. Second is the fact that Zeiss is the THX of camera lenses, the name is sold so that it makes products look better, it actually has nothing to do with quality.

So yeah, good job Nokia for basically fooling people into thinking the camera on the back of a phone is really better than it is.

Apple might make a big deal out of the camera on the iPhone 4 as well, but at least they did the right thing, make as big of a sensor as you can, have an easy way to control focus, add built in HDR support, and make sure it does good HD video. After all is said and done it isn't the greatest camera out there, but it definitely is the best camera out of any phone out there.

Um, no. Have you ever used a modern cameraphone? Apple might have improved the camera for the iPhone 4, but it's still got a long way to go before you can compare it to a high-end cameraphone like the more expensive nokias and SE, the new lens is larger, yes but it is still tiny compared to other cameraphones. The iPhone also lacks a proper flash, a tiny LED-flash is not a sufficient solution

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Um, no. Have you ever used a modern cameraphone? Apple might have improved the camera for the iPhone 4, but it's still got a long way to go before you can compare it to a high-end cameraphone like the more expensive nokias and SE, the new lens is larger, yes but it is still tiny compared to other cameraphones. The iPhone also lacks a proper flash, a tiny LED-flash is not a sufficient solution

The quality of pictures matters more than specification.

Check out the Flickr collection for iPhone 4
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=iPhone4&w=all&m=&s=int&mt=&referer_searched=

Having looked at this - I conclude this. The iPhone 4 camera is "good enough".

If I wanted even better pictures - I'd rather buy a device called a "camera", than have to carry around a Nokia.

C.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Well if you know anything about photography you will notice that all of these photos are extremely noisy. Fine as snaps but rarely more than that. Try and enlarge one of these or zoom in and the quality drops dramatically.

As I said - good enough for snaps but for any decent quality get a camera.

The quality of pictures matters more than specification.

Check out the Flickr collection for iPhone 4
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=iPhone4&w=all&m=&s=int&mt=&referer_searched=

Having looked at this - I conclude this. The iPhone 4 camera is "good enough".

If I wanted even better pictures - I'd rather buy a device called a "camera", than have to carry around a Nokia.

C.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Reception issues. (dont tell me its not a problem. I had a 3gs never had a dropped call, on iphone 4 even with a case on 1 out of 2 calls i dropped. Thats my reason for trying android... also i tried multiple phones.)

It's not a problem.

I don't lose any reception and I never drop calls.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Well if you know anything about photography you will notice that all of these photos are extremely noisy. Fine as snaps but rarely more than that. Try and enlarge one of these or zoom in and the quality drops dramatically.

As I said - good enough for snaps but for any decent quality get a camera.

Yes, obviously, anyone very serious about photography would not choose an iPhone, a Nokia or anything with a sensor smaller than a fingernail.

All capture methods have some noise. But I wonder if you are looking at the deliberate adding of grain by by the Ansel app?

Either way I do think it is worth pointing out that some of these images are clearly a lot better photographs than many people take with their DSLRs. Which is why I'm happy to assert that the iPhone camera is good enough.

The combination of good-enough image capture, alongside a basket of image manipulation tools, seems to stimulate the production of some really compelling images on the iPhone.

It's worth checking out other galleries for other devices and comparing the outcomes.

C.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
It's not a problem.

I don't lose any reception and I never drop calls.

Then you must live next to
A cell tower. Anyone who says the iPhone doesn't have reception problems is on denial. My 3GS was fine, but I've been through 3 iPhone 4s and they all have the problem and I haven't changed location
Either

Roo Zilla

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
Then you must live next to
A cell tower. Anyone who says the iPhone doesn't have reception problems is on denial. My 3GS was fine, but I've been through 3 iPhone 4s and they all have the problem and I haven't changed location
Either

Dropping calls is not necessarily because of the phone. When I had the 3GS, I used to get multiple dropped calls per day. Now, with i4, I've dropped I think 2 in the past month. My signal level hasn't changed, I always got strong signal, live and work near NYC. AT&T though, finished upgrades in my area this past summer, just around the time I got my i4. The probably did something to alleviate some of the congestion around my area.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Dropping calls is not necessarily because of the phone. When I had the 3GS, I used to get multiple dropped calls per day. Now, with i4, I've dropped I think 2 in the past month. My signal level hasn't changed, I always got strong signal, live and work near NYC. AT&T though, finished upgrades in my area this past summer, just around the time I got my i4. The probably did something to alleviate some of the congestion around my area.

I agree however in my case I'm in the same area and later in time and it's gotten worse... My mom has my 3GS and it's great... It's then phone and there is a problem

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
You only need a memory card if the handset you get doesn't have any onboard storage, or barely enough for anything else besides maybe a few apps. If I recall correctly lots Android handsets have pretty good onboard memory. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, I'm not an expert. >_<

kdarling

macrumors P6
Don't forget that with Apple you get much less crapware than any other phone. That alone gives the Iphone an edge.

On iOS, the stock apps we don't want to use are always there in our face. Thinik of all the times people complain about Stocks or Compass or Contacts etc. The best we can do is hide them in a folder on a spare homescreen if any.

On Android, we can delete any shortcut from the homescreens. Then the app is just left in the overall program list, which I like, because I can change my mind at any time and put it back on a homescreen... or just use it directly from the programs page without adding a shortcut.

lush242000

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
On earth
On iOS, the stock apps we don't want to use are always there in our face. Thinik of all the times people complain about Stocks or Compass or Contacts etc. The best we can do is hide them in a folder on a spare homescreen if any.

On Android, we can delete any shortcut from the homescreens. Then the app is just left in the overall program list, which I like, because I can change my mind at any time and put it back on a homescreen... or just use it directly from the programs page without adding a shortcut.

Coming over from a blackberry, the amount of crap apps on the Iphone is much more tolerable than the junk that was pushed to you on a berry.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

iOS lets you set app restrictions in settings, restricted apps get their icons removed from the home screen.;)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Coming over from a blackberry, the amount of crap apps on the Iphone is much more tolerable than the junk that was pushed to you on a berry.

Doesn't matter if they pushed a hundred of them. The Blackberry lets the user hide apps on the main menu.

iOS lets you set app restrictions in settings, restricted apps get their icons removed from the home screen.;)

AFAIK, that's only true for Safari, YouTube, iTunes and the App Store.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I am not sure the complaints about Android Market are valid. There are plenty of ways to browse and buy the applications. As far as the the numbers and quality of applications is concerned, there is an interesting article today on Infoworld: "Developers say outlook for Android better than iOS" The surveys among app developers indicate that developers are switching the allegiances en masse.

tesilential

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
I am not sure the complaints about Android Market are valid. There are plenty of ways to browse and buy the applications. As far as the the numbers and quality of applications is concerned, there is an interesting article today on Infoworld: "Developers say outlook for Android better than iOS" The surveys among app developers indicate that developers are switching the allegiances en masse.

I agree that the future will probably belong to Android unless iPhone goes to all carriers.

As for now though, theres no comparison in the quality of the software.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I agree that the future will probably belong to Android unless iPhone goes to all carriers.

As for now though, theres no comparison in the quality of the software.

The iPhone is already available on most networks in many countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.