Angela Ahrendts Officially Leaving Apple Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As noted in a regulatory filing from February, Apple's retail chief Angela Ahrendts is leaving the company today, with April 15 marking her last day at Apple.

Apple in early February announced that Ahrendts' role as Apple's head of retail would be ending, with Deirdre O'Brien taking over. Deirdre O'Brien was formerly Apple's vice president of people, but her title is now Senior Vice President of Retail and People as she is maintaining her current responsibilities while also overseeing Apple's retail initiatives.

Over the weekend, Apple removed Ahrendts' profile from its Apple Leadership page in preparation for her departure.

According to Apple, Ahrendts is leaving the company for "new personal and professional pursuits," though it is not clear where she plans to go after leaving Apple. Apple did not give deeper detail on the reason for her departure, but she is departing amid a significant drop in iPhone sales in China and some other emerging markets.

Ahrendts has been the head of Apple retail since she joined the company in 2014, and she has overseen the launch of the redesigned Apple Stores and customer experiences that have been rolling out across the world over the course of the last several years.

Under Ahrendts' leadership, Apple ditched the Genius Bar and instead adopted the more casual Genius Grove, cut down on third-party accessory sales, and turned its retail stores into gathering hubs with Today at Apple classes, artist performances, and more.

Prior to working at Apple, Ahrendts was the CEO of famous fashion company Burberry, and before that, she held positions at Liz Claiborne and Donna Karan. Ahrendts joined Apple at a time when Apple was experimenting with luxury products, launching the super expensive 14 karat gold Apple Watch in 2015, which never really caught on and was ultimately discontinued.

In a farewell note announcing Ahrendts departure to employees, Apple CEO Tim Cook called her "a much-loved and accomplished leader" who had played "a transformative role" shaping the Apple retail experience.
    Deirdre O'Brien will be reporting directly to Tim Cook going forward. She will continue to oversee talent development and Apple university, recruiting, employee relations and experience, business partnerships, inclusion and diversity, and more, along with retail experiences.

At the current time, Apple has more than 500 retail locations across five continents and more than 35 online stores around the world.

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts Officially Leaving Apple Today

2. RedGala macrumors regular

RedGala

3. hlevolve, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

hlevolve macrumors regular

hlevolve

I haven't been any more impressed with the Apple stores since she took over from the point they were at when Ron Johnson was still doing it. So I guess bye is about all I can say. I'm sure some of her changes applied more to certain segments of the population but for me personally the stores seemed to get a bit worse during her management of them. They always seem chaotic when I go in there.

4. m4mario macrumors regular

m4mario

Too bad. She made some big strides. Retail employees felt connected to her.

5. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Rather puzzling, her departure, when she was rumored to succeed Cook.

6. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

What part don't you understand? The buh?....or the bye? Buh bye!

7. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Dunno, never understood how a Burberry manager would fit in a tech company (yeah watchbands?!) :p

That was never a real rumor...

8. mcfrazieriv, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019

mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

I'll never forget the fond memories...

That brilliant debut stage performance when she slipped the word "cervix" instead of service...
    Her fashionable appearances at store openings that lasted mere minutes before disappearing back into the void.
    The beautiful tree gardens in Apple "squares" - formally known as what they really were, "stores."
    Those divine watch counters within department stores... her attempt to turn Apple into a fashion statement.
    And finally, her olympic sized stock packages she was given to do absolutely nothing original.

Take care, your excellence. En Taro Tassadar.

9. haydn! macrumors 6502a

For the most part, her vision for retail was right. Stores are becoming less about cold sales and more about experiences. The Today at Apple stuff was a great example of how bricks and Mortar retail can stay relevant in a digital age.

I guess the bigger question was, did Apple need it. Did shifting the focus away from traditional retail contribute to the decline in sales? Is that why she’s leaving or did just have enough and want to try something new.

10. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

--- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2019 ---
    Not related but she's the spit of Carol on The Walking Dead... Wonder if any execs from Curry's/PC World/Dixon's are looking for a job?

11. strategicthinke macrumors 6502

strategicthinke

She will be missed. I love what she's done in the company.

12. brunerd macrumors member

brunerd

I actually liked the surety of a central Point of Sale, sure it's cool to flag down any rando employee and hope they can get want you want if you manage to make eye contact with them or they aren't busy finishing an iPhone sale and setup (and all you want is a doo-dad), but when you can just go stand in line and know you'll be able to check out, that is "priceless"... also it seems water fountains have disappeared at some of the new stores (even bathrooms)...

I welcome another perspective on what makes a good shopping experience: water, bathrooms, and a clearly discernible checkout.

13. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Think this story will unite Apple fans, glad she is gone!

14. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

If, by experiences...you mean horrible experiences...then, yes! She excelled at her job. :confused:

15. mikethemartian macrumors 6502

Didn’t she take the gift store on the main Apple campus that was unique and turn it into a regular Apple store?

16. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

17. iObama, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019

iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

Angela did a great job, and I'm sad to see her go. I've never been happier with Apple retail, both online and in store.

18. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

She was too much woman for Apple. One look at her replacement confirms that. Modern Apple at its finest.

19. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

Is she the woman who redesigned Apple stores but just placing huge trees in them?

20. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

21. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Oh boy the town squares nonsense and when Apple employees kept saying stores

22. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I’m older so she always reminded me very strongly of Glenn Close in her youth.

Well these forums will lose their favorite scapegoat. I’ve seen this woman blamed for so many things that had absolutely nothing to do with her position, I had wondered where logic and reason had fled.

I’m waiting for someone to post “Bye, Felicia”.

I can’t say I was a fan of everything she did. But to be quite honest I’m not completely sure myself exactly what successes and failures were hers to own and how much belonged to others.

23. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Unsurprisingly, will be played in the Apple Movie by Jennifer Aniston.:p:D