Angela Ahrendts on Apple Retail Criticism: 'I Don't Read Any of it, and None of it is Based on Fact'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Former Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts today did an interview with Bloomberg, where she spoke about her time at Apple.

The opportunity to take the Apple Store experience "to the next level" and have a greater impact on surrounding communities was one of the reasons why Ahrendts joined Apple. She also cited programs like Today at Apple, designed to "help reskill the current generation," as factors in her decision to work for the Cupertino company.

Ahrendts said that looking back at her tenure, the redesign introduced at Apple retail stores around the world was one of her major successes, as were the Today at Apple classes.
    When asked about criticism of the changes that Apple put in place in its retail stores, Ahrendts said that she doesn't pay any attention to it. "I don't read any of it, and none of it is based on fact," she said. "It's everyone trying to find stories."

She went on to say that when she left Apple, customer retention rates were at an all-time high and loyalty scores hit historic highs. "I know the facts," said Ahrendts.

Ahrendts said that she has no regrets and there's nothing that she would have changed about her work, though she did wish she had moved faster. "We did a lot in five years, but I always challenge myself to move faster and do more," she said.

All in all, Ahrendts called her time at Apple "mission accomplished" because the company was able to reach the goals of its 5-year plan.
    Ahrendts left Apple in mid-April and has since joined the board of Airbnb. Her role has been taken over by Deirdre O'Brien, now Apple's Senior Vice President of Retail and People.

Ahrendts' full interview can be watched over on Bloomberg.

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts on Apple Retail Criticism: 'I Don't Read Any of it, and None of it is Based on Fact'

2. bcash97 macrumors newbie

bcash97

Does she think that all criticism is baseless? I personally felt very lost last time I visited an Apple store.

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

4. Franco Borgo macrumors newbie

how can she know if any of it is based of fact if she did read them :)

5. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

How can she say it's not based on fact if she hasn't read any of it? Wow. Mind blown.

6. iRalph macrumors member

So if she didn’t read any of it how does she know it’s not based on facts ?

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Good for her. I’m glad she is speaking out. A lot of unfair criticism directed her way.

8. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

exactly what I was going to say. I don't care to bash people but her statement makes no logical sense.

9. johnyslats, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

She talks about helping to create the next “Apple Music kids” at around the two minute mark. Don’t have a clue what that even means and really don’t think she does either

10. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Seriously. Too crowded. Too impersonal.

It could be a chance to grow. But let’s just ignore the criticism. That’s what strong leaders do.

11. Diamond Dog macrumors member

Diamond Dog

Lol, the fact that she can't even stay consistent long enough to last ONE sentence speaks volumes. Good riddance.

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

It’s like celebrity gossip. If you’re a celebrity you don’t have to read something to know it’s all garbage.

There is valuable feedback and then there’s internet noise. Leaders shouldn’t waste their time on the noise.

13. martyjmclean, May 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2019

martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

She makes it obvious (and admits) that she doesn't "understand tech", so I don't know why she keeps trying... or became a board member for Airbnb.

14. brenton289 macrumors member

Sounds like Apple will be better off without her. It's that sort of attitude that has fed the current culture of Apple.

15. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

....shut up.

the retail stores suck ass now. literally no organization, stand in this line to stand in that line, no help whatsoever. annoying af to go into now.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Angela isn’t a celebrity and shouldn’t be compared to one. The Reality is, she doesn’t have to acknowledge anything that said outside Apple, and she’s no longer employed there anymore for one, and number two, if she’s confident in her skill-set that she did everything she could to improve the company, then that’s all that matters, not the negative rhetoric that others will interject.

17. Exponent macrumors regular

Wow, talk about arrogant - and so keeping in line with the current Silicon Valley zeitgeist!

18. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

She’s more successful than many, but not reading the criticism doesn’t mean she is not aware of the criticism. She forged her own path.

19. niji Contributor

niji

wow.
    total denial.

that apple sign-on bonus of USD 68 million was worth it, huh, angela?

20. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Why would she? Apple could sell diapers on a restaurant and you'd all still buy them.

21. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Apple will miss Angela as she's the nearest to Steve in terms of form and design of the Apple shops that Apple have ever had.

22. reden macrumors 6502a

The worst thing about Apple stores is when you are trying to buy something, and no one can help you, at a STORE lol. I remember I had to stand and wait for 20min to buy something, so absolutely ridiculous.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My Question would be, is she ignoring the criticism now or the criticism awhile she was employed at Apple? (Rhetorical) Because those are two different things, either way, a woman in her position and experience that she has, I wouldn’t let negativity drag me down, but if it’s constructive criticism, then that is a totally different perspective that we all have to be open to under our employers to better ourselves.

24. RealKrS macrumors regular

When her departure was announced, I really didn't expect to still be reading about her today. MR, please let her go already :(

25. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Besides, much of the celebrity gossip ends up have some truth to it.