Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My Question would be, is she ignoring the criticism now or the criticism in awhile she was employed at Apple? (Rhetorical) Because those are two different things, either way, a woman in her position and experience that she has, I wouldn’t let negativity drag me down, but if it’s constructive criticism, then that is a totally different perspective that we all have to be open to under our employers to better ourselves.
True. We can all benefit in positive ways from the appropriate coaching (positive criticism) Well much the criticism on MR is not that and much is just drivel.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have bought from Apple 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years and I never had a problem with my purchase experience. I can tell this from experience even when the Store was crowded.

Last year I bought a 2017 MBP, iPhone X, product red leather case, iPad 12 Pro, Apple Pencil, keyboard, Apple Watch and was out of the store with in 15 to 20 minutes.

Recently bought a 4 TB external, went there on a crowded Saturday night and I had it within a few minutes and I was out. The only thing that took long was getting the battery in my old iPhone 6s replaced. Took about an hour, just used the time to do some window shopping. Oh, I forgot about getting the lamination on my 2015 MBP replaced, that took about few days, can’t remember,

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
I wouldn’t read them either.

However, it is one of the rare times you can observe the elusive chair potato get its nickers in a wad and begin waxing poetic about Steve the dead guy.

That’s always good for a bit of entertainment.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and midkay

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
last 2 Apple stores i visited didn't feel different at all. i dont know what people are complaining about and i also have no clue what Angela did to make it better/worse.

I have three Apple stores in my region, all which were renovated under her leadership. Two of which is impressive, and it seems so much more organized, the lighting and the store is better/the way the products are set up looks more ‘User friendly’, etc. My point is, you’re going to find varying opinions on her style and if it correlates to the person visiting the store, but I thought she made some nice changes in my area, for the better.

Reactions: midkay and s15119

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Went to a group interview at my local Apple Store a month ago. The Hiring Manager spoke very highly of the changes she made though I didn’t really see any. The store was just as much an overpopulated fire hazard before and after she was at the company.

Reactions: fcs132 and DeepIn2U

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I don't get the vitriol towards her. She is not great but I am not sure she is that bad. For me the worst Apple executive is Eddy Cue.

Reactions: Analog Kid

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Oh it’s like that is it. Another high profile person who sticks their head in the sand and believes what they want to believe - while simultaneously trying to convince others of the same.

Next she’ll only be giving interviews to outlets that only print positive stories about her.
I understood that reference

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I wouldn’t care what any of you thought either with what Apple paid her. But still this is funny stuff. 5 year plan. Executed. Mission accomplished. Lol. Might be better to shut up now much as she did when she was there. Heck it took her 5 years to work up the courage to speak (or be permitted to speak) at an event.

Reactions: AndyUnderscoreR

TipsterCH

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2019

angela_ahrendts_hero-250x330.jpg
Former Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts today did an interview with Bloomberg, where she spoke about her time at Apple.

The opportunity to take the Apple Store experience "to the next level" and have a greater impact on surrounding communities was one of the reasons why Ahrendts joined Apple. She also cited programs like Today at Apple, designed to "help reskill the current generation," as factors in her decision to work for the Cupertino company.

Ahrendts said that looking back at her tenure, the redesign introduced at Apple retail stores around the world was one of her major successes, as were the Today at Apple classes.When asked about criticism of the changes that Apple put in place in its retail stores, Ahrendts said that she doesn't pay any attention to it. "I don't read any of it, and none of it is based on fact," she said. "It's everyone trying to find stories."

She went on to say that when she left Apple, customer retention rates were at an all-time high and loyalty scores hit historic highs. "I know the facts," said Ahrendts.

Ahrendts said that she has no regrets and there's nothing that she would have changed about her work, though she did wish she had moved faster. "We did a lot in five years, but I always challenge myself to move faster and do more," she said.

All in all, Ahrendts called her time at Apple "mission accomplished" because the company was able to reach the goals of its 5-year plan.Ahrendts left Apple in mid-April and has since joined the board of Airbnb. Her role has been taken over by Deirdre O'Brien, now Apple's Senior Vice President of Retail and People.

Ahrendts' full interview can be watched over on Bloomberg.

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts on Apple Retail Criticism: 'I Don't Read Any of it, and None of it is Based on Fact'

Oh yeah, but that the employee rating was on a all time low for several cycles which lead to very good people leave? Including myself! I met her once, she seems like a nice person. But she has no ****ing clue!!!! She ruined everything with that ******** experience. It‘s all about the money. I recently visited the store I worked. I heard a manager telling to the employees „we need some more results today“, like, really? Is that your problem? You should care more about how they feel. But hey, I‘m so happy that I flew out of this sick, capitalistic (well most of the products are still good though) sect and followed my dreams! **** you Apple!

Reactions: fcs132 and mrxak

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
I think that it is difficult to go through all criticism when you are responsible for a large company like Apple. That’s why you use internal and external surveys, mystery shoppers etc. But if your metrics are not set correctly, you will miss some important ones.

I was some time ago at an Apple Store to buy an iPad. I usually buy online, but I needed one the same day, so I went to the store. I knew exactly which model I wanted, but for some reason I was not able to reserve one. First I had to talk with one who had to talk to one employee to set up a reservation for someone who could sell one to me, when the seller was available around 20 mins later he had to find the model in their storage and then come back to me, and then I could walk out with my new iPad. It was cumbersome. I did get after a few day a questionnaire from Apple, but the questions was more directed towards how the employees interact, not at all about the flow and not much about the overall shopping experience.

I think one of the issues here is that I would agree that Apple is a luxury brand, but still they are widespread and popular. Especially the iPhone is a product which is widespread. That is where the mismatch comes. If you visit a Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany’s or any other luxury shop there are not many customers in there. And as a luxury brand you don’t need many to make a profit. Actually fewer customers keeps the exclusivity factor up. But if you want to visit the stores, although they want to sell, they are more than welcome to tell you about the products even when they realise you will not buy or even in the position to buy one. That’s because the shops work as advertising space, and the brand must be visible. Those who buy luxury products do it for the status, not just (or all) for the product quality in itself. So the common man need to know how to identify what is high status luxury. Apple is in a bit different position at least when it comes to the iPhone. While it started as a more exclusive model, it quickly became mainstream. It was the Ferrari but started to sell like Toyotas. Their retail stores should adapt more to that requirement. I don’t think creating the town hall meeting space is a bad idea, but when you want to buy something keep it simple, and likewise when you need help or repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.