Angry, confused, annoyed, going back! (Dissatisfied with Apple restrictions)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Macs4u, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Macs4u macrumors 6502

Hi,

After spending alot on mac stuff im feeling slightly annoyed. I have a 27" imac, 15" macbook pro unibody, iphone 3gs, iphone 3gs for partner. ipad on the agenda and im getting a little fed up of being restricted and paying out all the time.

For instance , i want to use the iphone to its full capabilities its the app store and money. The push email, mobile me , money.

It seems apple have gone down the route of TELLING PEOPLE WHAT THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO AND LOOK AT. For instance the ipad, has no flash, has no way of downloading free stuff apart from the free rubbish in the app store.

I have never spent so much money since i went from windows to apple. My kit upo to yet has cost me in the region of £4000!!! For the same spec going pc and say htc hero i would have halved that outlay. Yes osx is nice and slick, no viruses but god you pay for it!!

I know windows has virus's malware etc etc but im seriously considering selling up, buying the mother of all virus scanners and going back to windows and a pc so i can choose what i want to do, look at, install etc etc

Anyone else feel the same??

Matt

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't feel the same
    But you are entitled to your opinion and are free to choose your own path

The Apple ecosystem isn't for everyone
    Perhaps you are one of the ones that it doesn't suit well

3. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

If you don't like it don't buy it, it's not hard. I'm perfectly happy with everything I've ever purchased from Apple. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. Simples.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Use Microsoft Security Essentials, Firefox or Chrome, and don't download or open random/sketchy stuff.

I went back to Windows 7 on my desktop, and I remembered how nice it is to be able to customize things!

5. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

apple has never said you have to buy any of their products its all by choice.

6. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Hadn't thought of that. The amount of free software/trials/shareware etc. I've got on my MBP. Of course, that won't happen for the iPad.

I'm like you. The iPad is an incredible let-down. For me, the 4th gen iPhone is the dealbreaker. If it's still essentially the same form factor and OS, I'm jumping ship. Windows 7 looks nice and there are some really nice smartphones out there.

I don't want to leave OS X but, after five years, I'm also getting a little fed-up with Apple's arrogance.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What you have to realise is the iPhone is just an advanced phone. The iPod Touch is just a very advanced MP3 player. The iPad is virtually the same as the iPod Touch just bigger.
    These aren't computers. They are toys, casual gadgets.

8. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah , well apparantly ive ready somewhere that the iphone 4g will have multitask? , I cant see why it doesnt have that now?

Also , according to here and google the ipad will never have flash as apple dont want people going onto the web to play free games , instead they want people to shell out money all the time in the app store.

Im fed uop of spending now. Everything is geared around apple taking your money , itunes, appstore, mobileme its never ending.:mad:

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Macs4u

How about installing W7 on the kit you already have. It's quite powerful, and it'll save you the expense of hopping back all at once.

10. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I use my AppleTV for whatever I want to download/watch. As others have said, maybe the Apple environment is just not right for you, but I would argue that with just a little search/reading of threads on the forum and you will find a great wealth of advice for "unlocking" or should I say expanding what your Mac products can do for you.

11. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Your complaints about your mac stuff are that it costs more money and the ipad? And you made an entire thread for this?

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Why not? I have two or three dozen apps on my iPod Touch, only two of which I paid anything for (and each of those only $1, one of which is a big-studio game). It costs a dev $100 to get in on the app store and they need to go through the approval process, but there aren't all that many Mac devs who haven't at least bought a student membership.

That said, you're all correct that Apple is heavily restricting what you can do in terms of system-level customization to the iPad and iPhone. That's because you guys aren't who the devices were designed for--you should probably be buying Android, because you are the target market for that platform.

Apple isn't building a new device platform for everybody, they're building a platform for a large market of people who "just want it to work" and a big group of relative technophobes who can barely use a computer at all now and desperately want something simpler. Hardcore geeks like me, and presumably y'all, may or may not enjoy it, depending on our needs/desires in terms of tweaking and customization. Me, I'm fine with it, though I probably wouldn't use it as my primary computer. Others, such as the OP, have different priorities.

That doesn't bother Apple, and that's why it's such a great thing to have an open market where other products can compete for your dollars and a spot in your pocket.

Go, buy an Android device, and be happy. It's not like Apple betrayed you, they've just chosen to make a device that doesn't quite suit your needs.

I don't, however, see how that affects your enjoyment of the MacOS at all. Maybe some people are into skinning the OS and such, and Windows does have some strengths, but my Macs do more for me with less hassle than a Windows machine would, and I work with plenty of PCs at work so I know what both OSes are capable of. There's a reason we're an 80% Mac shop.

Personally, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised in five years if Apple's line wasn't divided into a mobile iPhone segment similar to what it is now, a beefed-up iPad-OS based segment that covers tablets as well as what the current low-end iMac and MacBook does, and a "pro" segment running the MacOS that's targeted at content creators and people like me, who build the stuff for the iPad/iPod consumers.

The iPad is going to be iLife and the MacOS FCP and Logic. Were this to come to pass I may or may not stick with the iPad line, but for the market as a whole it's a wise move--NOBODY has thus far succeeded in making a computer as a true appliance, which is of course how the original Mac was envisioned in 1984.

And even if the iPad and Apple itself doesn't succeed, that's where the world's going to head, like it or not.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nice blog. Try not to have tantrums when people don't agree with you.

I like both PC's and Macs for separate reasons, but no one forced me to get a Mac (other than having to have one to program apps for the iPhone).

14. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'm OK with Apple's paradigm. I perceive it as being relatively good value for what I get. However, everybody perceives value differently and not everyone could be expected to feel the way I do. Each to their own.

You apparently have to way to get value added services like MobilMe, iTunes, AppStore etc cheaper than what Apple give it to you. You should go that route. Me, I like the integrated approach.

Wait...surely you're not complaining that Apple is offering you so many choices and options?

15. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Well let's see - you buy a nice, quick Windows PC and aside from a bunch of junkware, it comes with nothing worthwhile. You have to pay for decent antivirus and security apps, you have to pay for productivity and games software that's any good and up to date, and you have to pay for all the other bits and pieces of resources and peripherals to hang on the edge of it. Not much different really.

Except for one thing - you can buy your Windows stuff from anyone and everyone, so by the time you've spent all that money, there's too many vendors and suppliers to hold up for blame. With Apple, all the stuff comes from them or through them, so they're an easy target for an over simplified argument.

16. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Not exactly true!

Overclockers Uk is about 5 mins away from me so i can buy EVERYTHING I WANT from there. Also , ilife is free on the mac yes , but so is windows live essentials!

Yes they may not have the same poilished look of the ilife stuff but they are free!

And all the productivity and games you say for the mac also have to be paid for.

And games on a mac are terrible.

I think im gonna sell up and move on.

Matt

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds like the right choice for you
    Hope it works out and you find the experience you are looking for

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You're a PC. Windows 7 was your idea. I hope they paid you adequately! ;)

19. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

This was the main reason I went to Apple - various bits on my PC randomly not working made me go for Apple. Apple hardware, software, peripherals etc. means that if there's any problems, the problem is with Apple and will be easy to solve. Right? Wrong...!

I've had endless problems that Apple haven't been able to solve. My current issue involves my Apple TV not connecting to my netowrk, not streaming and vanishing from iTunes. Everything involved is Apple but it still doesn't work as advertised so I don't really see the point in the extra financial investment.

20. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

It somewhat depends on what you want to do with the system doesn't it. There's nothing in Live Essentials that I'd say was worth the $0 price tag because it offers nothing I want, while iLife certainly does. And to be honest, anyone who buys a Mac with the idea of using it as a gaming platform is always barking up the wrong tree because it never has been. The iPad/iPhone/iTouch is a different matter in that regard though.

The point is that just about everything people need to run on their systems costs money, so the argument that it's just on the Apple side of the fence and the implication that it doesn't happen on the Windows side is just not true.

I use both Macs and Windows systems, for fun and in my profession, and they have strengths and weaknesses both. If I had to pick one or the other I'd take the Mac simply because it's less bother to me to use it and more productive for what I need, but it's horses for courses, so that - like any such argument- is just a matter of personal preference, taste and need.

In the end, I'm grateful that Apple produce the products they do because it provides choice - whether I, you, or anyone else wants to avail themselves of that choice is a matter of personal interest only.

21. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Flash sucks. They aren't not putting it on the iPad so you have to buy App Store games, it's because it is a CPU hog and it is dying. Apple is just trying to quicken it's demise :D

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You are right because I can't customize anything on my desktop.. yeah what ever. :rolleyes:

23. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Like owning a BMW

Had 2 VW Golfs before...
    Since owning my first BMW a few years ago and now my 2nd I have never spent so much on my car! I am fed up with paying for a better, nicer and faster car! I don't want to pay the extra cash for having perfect iPhone integration! Even the nice iPod integration cost me money!
    :rolleyes:

You pay more to get more.
    I will never go back to VW, even if it costs me more money now.

Like others have said.. no-one forces you to buy anything. If it's too expensive for you, move to Win 7. Many seem to like Win 7 here, so it must be pretty good. Not as good as Mac OS X of course.... but pretty good. ;)

24. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What are you looking for? Help? An opportunity to vent? An apology on behalf of Apple? Unless you have a question, you're wasting our time.

Judging your Macs on the basis of your iPhone is like if I bought a PC and an Xbox, then threw the PC in the garbage because I didn't like the games available on the Xbox.

Most people buy one Mac, usually a cheaper Mac, to find out if they like the platform and are comfortable with it. You have only yourself to blame for the £4000 price tag.