Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
eva01 said:
Just realized that Full Metal Panic! Second Raid has been out for a while o_O now i am downloading all of that too. Chidori is so awesome

Where would one acquire such works if one wanted? I used to know a few friends who ran an ftp site, sadly now I have no connections to anything good as far as anime is concerned.

If anyone knows anything, a PM would be great. I would love to get back into some Anime....but I don't really have the time to go figure out what to watch or were to get it :(

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
efoto said:
Where would one acquire such works if one wanted? I used to know a few friends who ran an ftp site, sadly now I have no connections to anything good as far as anime is concerned.

If anyone knows anything, a PM would be great. I would love to get back into some Anime....but I don't really have the time to go figure out what to watch or were to get it :(

A good site is animesuki.com. They are a central hub for all anime series that are currently airing in Japan and have not been licensed here in America. Shows like Naruto and One Piece cannot be found there as they have been licensed. You can find Bleach there since it hasn't been licensed...yet. Boxtorrents.com is another good site for older series. That's where I got FMA and Bebop.

On another note, I finished converting an episode of Bleach to iPod format last night and it's not feasible to watch them on the iPod since the subtitles are illegible. If you speak Japanese however, it's great. :D

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
eva01 said:
Just to drag up this thread since i am working on affording to get my own site back up and running :p

Bought ROD 7, Gilgamesh 2, and Nausicaa these past two days

I have a box of anime at home worth $400 from RACS, and I haven't even had a chance to open it yet!

It has ROD7 in it, as well as Chrono Crusade 6. I get to put the lid on two series. I have decided ROD sucks. It started off super cool, and then got too surreal and retarded. Same with the OVA. Oh well.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Counterfit said:
I have Blame! 1, it's ****ed up. They might as well have printed it white on black to save ink! Tokyo Babylon didn't appeal to me much, too many bishonen. I guess the only CLAMP I like so far is Chobits.

I hate anime with bishounen in it. Maybe because I am not a girl, my immediate reaction is "gay."

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
PharmD said:
On another note, I finished converting an episode of Bleach to iPod format last night and it's not feasible to watch them on the iPod since the subtitles are illegible. If you speak Japanese however, it's great. :D

man that sucks much so :/ too bad, try putting it into MP4 quality, from what i hear the resolution under that is higher than with h264 although file size is larger

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
tsaxer said:
Yeah, I have had to wean myself a bit lately, but, I like Trigun, at least the early eps, bought it and then it came on CN grrrr....
FMA is a little too depressing/frustrating for me. I really dug Bebop, Mononoke, Kenshin, Chobits. Love hina was kinda funny. Azumanga is ADHD, and funny for it. Totoro - I love the scene ar the bus stop, it's understated but funny. I really have seen too many... And I am a sub snob. I can only take a few dub versions, most just hurt.

Edit: I saw Chris Gore's review of the New Bebop set on AOTS; his verdict was that there was nothing new except 5.1, so if you already have it, might want to save your money.

You liked Mononoke? That dude hasn't made a good movie since Kiki. Trigun was my biggest and only ripoff. I never bought Pioneer (now geneon) again until the prices came down a tad.

Love Hina was great until the 3rd dvd, then it got stupid. I did like Azumanga Daioh, though. Especially the scene when the teacher got hit in the face with the pan.

Kenshin had a good first season, but the 2nd one stunk so bad I didn't even watch the third.

I like dubs sometime. The problem with me is I try to understand the japanese more than I watch the story if I have subs. I can't enjoy it. :) The best dub was Slayers after they figured out who was going to voice Amelia and Zel.

I would never watch DBZ in Japanese. Everyone's a woman except Picolo and Vegeta. Their battle cries are along the lines of "why can there not be peace between us, my good friend?"

XNine

macrumors 68040
BAH! Animesuki is over-rated too.

The best places to get Anime (before its licensed in America) are IRC channels. I suggest Aone and Anbu. They have some of the best rips and subtitles available.

I've stopped watching Fansubs for the past couple of years. I remember seeing series like .Hack//Sign, GITS:SAC, Excel Saga (before that became a POS), Saikano, and many others way before most people did in the states. I was all about .Hack and everyone was like "WTF is that?" And I was like "BAKA!!!!!" and then they cried.

If I had the time/motiviation I'd get back into learning Japanese. Great language. Difficult for us round-eyes. :D

I REALLY want Blade of the Immortal to become an anime series. Man, they could really make it good (the Manga is one of the best around).

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Miyazaki is amazing i have loved all of his movies.

and BLAME! kicks ass, it is a wonderful manga, go check it out at borders, the anime is just a tiny little thing to show off art and to let people know there is a manga

and Blade of the Immortal is kick ass, i love that manga so much

but we all know Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is awesome

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
eva01 said:
man that sucks much so :/ too bad, try putting it into MP4 quality, from what i hear the resolution under that is higher than with h264 although file size is larger

I'll try that when I get home. I'm currently at school learning about Inflammatory Bowl Disease. Fun!

Edit: To clarify, Since the video iPods technically aren't available yet, I'm basing this all on viewing the video in iTunes in the small window where the album artwork is shown. It seems lo me like this window is the same size as the new iPod.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Onizuka said:
BAH! Animesuki is over-rated too.

The best places to get Anime (before its licensed in America) are IRC channels. I suggest Aone and Anbu. They have some of the best rips and subtitles available.<snip>

So despite the foreknowledge that I will be ridiculed, how does one proceed to join/browse/get info off of an IRC channel? I know a few people on them but have never done so myself so I have no idea how to start. Sorry for the complete beginner question, but I am a complete beginner in this :eek:

If I had the time/motiviation I'd get back into learning Japanese. Great language. Difficult for us round-eyes. :D

When you were into learning the language, were you self-teaching? with software or online tutorials? I was quite interested in giving it a go recently, but again am not sure were to start.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
i was taking japanese at school till i had to drop out due to my illness from hell.

and personally i HATE IRC despise of it with all of my being.

animesuki is the only place i get anime because for the most part (minus naruto, because it is my stand against the dubbing company) i refuse to steal anime

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
darkwing said:
Love Hina was great until the 3rd dvd, then it got stupid.
Don't bother watching Love Hina Again, because they take the last 7 volumes of the manga, and stuff it into about 90 minutes.
I did like Azumanga Daioh, though. Especially the scene when the teacher got hit in the face with the pan.
AD (both manga and anime) is very very funny :cool:
I like dubs sometime. The problem with me is I try to understand the japanese more than I watch the story if I have subs. I can't enjoy it. :) The best dub was Slayers after they figured out who was going to voice Amelia and Zel.
I've always liked the Cowboy Bebop dub. And the dubbing for Howl's Moving Castle borders on excellent.
I would never watch DBZ in Japanese. Everyone's a woman except Picolo and Vegeta. Their battle cries are along the lines of "why can there not be peace between us, my good friend?"
I'd never watch DBZ anyway :rolleyes:

I think I'll finally get ar]ound to watching some of the stuff I bought last month and at Otakon. I bought Gunsmith Cats last month, and the Iria: Zeiram box (okay, not really a box. a 3 DVD case, with super-duper full-color tin!) at Otakon. I've seen both, but I should watch the extras for Iria.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Counterfit said:
Don't bother watching Love Hina Again, because they take the last 7 volumes of the manga, and stuff it into about 90 minutes.

I've always liked the Cowboy Bebop dub. And the dubbing for Howl's Moving Castle borders on excellent.

I think I'll finally get ar]ound to watching some of the stuff I bought last month and at Otakon. I bought Gunsmith Cats last month, and the Iria: Zeiram box (okay, not really a box. a 3 DVD case, with super-duper full-color tin!) at Otakon. I've seen both, but I should watch the extras for Iria.

honestly why do people steal anime from boxtorrents?

XNine

macrumors 68040
eva01 said:
honestly why do people steal anime from boxtorrents?
There's a large difference between stealing, and fan-subbing and distributing work that will not be released in America. Macross 7, Tekkaman, and others will never be officially released here, and rather than pay some bastard from China or Hong Kong for their crappy DVD rips, get a fan-sub of superior quality.

Plus, ADV used to have their own fan-sub department who subbed new Anime that wasn't licensed in America yet, just to see if it was popular and worth them investing money in to bring over here and officially license.

Fan-subbing is ideal for getting people into new series without paying royalties until you know its worth it.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Onizuka said:
There's a large difference between stealing, and fan-subbing and distributing work that will not be released in America. Macross 7, Tekkaman, and others will never be officially released here, and rather than pay some bastard from China or Hong Kong for their crappy DVD rips, get a fan-sub of superior quality.

Plus, ADV used to have their own fan-sub department who subbed new Anime that wasn't licensed in America yet, just to see if it was popular and worth them investing money in to bring over here and officially license.

Fan-subbing is ideal for getting people into new series without paying royalties until you know its worth it.

fansubbing i am fine with but what is 90% of what is on boxtorrents? Licensed anime.

XNine

macrumors 68040
eva01 said:
fansubbing i am fine with but what is 90% of what is on boxtorrents? Licensed anime.

They try not to allow those things on the site.

See:
bt.gif

it's on the front page there for everyone to see.

http://www.boxtorrents.com/

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Onizuka said:
They try not to allow those things on the site.

See:
bt.gif

it's on the front page there for everyone to see.

http://www.boxtorrents.com/

yet they still have naruto up there, witch hunter robin, ai yori aoshi, onegai twins, i could go on forever and other anime, not including movies or live action.

that is just a stupid PR thing to make it seem like it isn't their fault that licensed anime is up for download there

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Onizuka said:
It depends on what you're into. Chobits...Eh. Not so great. Neon Genesis is a classic but IS over-rated, IMO.

Series: Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig.
Serial Experiments Lain
Hellsing
Great Teacher Onizuka
X the TV series
Azu Manga Daioh
ROD the tv series
Earth Girl Arjuna
Saikano
Last Exile
Not really a huge anime fan, but I enjoyed Last Exile immensely and as do with Record of Lodoss War (series 1 only)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
angelneo said:
Not really a huge anime fan, but I enjoyed Last Exile immensely and as do with Record of Lodoss War (series 1 only)

didn't really care for last exile, probably because of the CG, but for some reason FMP is CG and i love it

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
PharmD said:
I'll try that when I get home. I'm currently at school learning about Inflammatory Bowl Disease. Fun!

Dang I bought a new bowling ball last night. Do you think I could get inflammatory bowl disease from it? :)

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Counterfit said:

Too late. Saw it, it sucks. I've bought all of Love Hina because I watched the first dvd and liked it, so I bought it all. Big mistake!

Counterfit said:

Definitely.

Counterfit said:

Yeah bebop's dub was good. I liked dragon ball the original much better. They could have ended DBZ after Freezer and I'd have thought it was cooler. GT sucks. It's like a lot of things. Sailor Moon was cool the first season, but they ruined it making more. More sometimes sucks. A lot.

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
darkwing said:
Dang I bought a new bowling ball last night. Do you think I could get inflammatory bowl disease from it? :)
Doh, I meant bowel. You'd better watch your back with those shady bowling balls though. No unprotected bowling. ;)

I also converted the same Bleach episode into mp4 and it looked about the same as h.264. After further review of both codecs, the subtitles are readable, you just have to squint a bit. I guess the final verdict will come when my new iPod does and I can view them on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.