Animoji Karaoke Takes Over Social Media Following iPhone X Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

An animated cat, fox, pig, and rooster singing Bohemian Rhapsody is the epitome of a new social media phenomenon dubbed Animoji Karaoke.

[​IMG]

Over the past week, both reviewers and customers lucky enough to have the iPhone X in their hands have shared fun, humorous videos of Animoji in action, ranging from goofy voiceovers to full-out music videos.

Animoji, for those unaware, are custom animated characters that use your voice and mirror your facial expressions captured by the iPhone X's new TrueDepth camera system. You can even record yourself as a Pile of Poo.

iPhone X users can create Animoji recordings up to 10 seconds long in the Messages app, but the internet discovered that iOS 11's new screen recording feature allows for much lengthier clips. Enter Animoji Karaoke.

The idea was conceived by technology reporter Harry McCracken, who decided it might be fun to lip-sync a song and have an Animoji character mimic his performance. From there, similar videos have spread on social media.

To create your own Animoji Karaoke, play a song loudly enough for it to be picked up by the iPhone X's microphone while lip-syncing. After messaging the Animoji, tap on it, and tap on the iOS share sheet to save it as a video.

A few people have gone a few steps further by stitching together multiple Animoji clips and editing in some other post-production effects.

Animoji might end up being a gimmicky feature that fades over the coming months, but for now, Apple is certainly benefitting from a wave of free viral marketing. If you see a singing fox in your timeline, now you know why.

Article Link: Animoji Karaoke Takes Over Social Media Following iPhone X Launch

2. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

What have we become? $1145 to play with animated emoji. :(

3. RCS31 macrumors regular

I know people like to make fun of this new "feature" but it's actually quite cool.

4. iCamera macrumors newbie

iCamera

I agree. It is quiet cool and it is almost 2018. kudos to Apple to make such an amazing device that will shape the industry

5. mozumder macrumors 6502a

And some of you thought this would be a useless feature.

6. Act3 macrumors 65816

it will be, animated poop is a gimmick, like a spencer store thing

7. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

It's a gimmick, but the videos put me in a good mood. Nothing wrong with a little fun.

8. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

It’s fun. Don’t be such a killjoy.

9. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

Yes. Because this is the only thing, and I mean only, that people paid for.

10. Act3 macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

these were fun for a short while too

11. DancinDatzuk1 macrumors newbie

DancinDatzuk1

I find this incredible. Wish I had the time to do it myself. Laugh people, have a little fun. Hope Apple pays some of these folks and uses them in a commercial.

12. SuperBrown macrumors member

13. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Great free marketing for the X. I wonder if something like this could be integrated into the Clips app?

14. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502

I agree Apple one of the most creative companies in the 1970s and now the bloated bosses get excited about emojis. Oh my days. What's gone wrong with society?

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The thing I hated most, kinda the most fun part of the iPhone X so far.... that notch and gestures I'm still combing to terms with. Faceid works very well though.....though more we read, seems to be unlocking for most families :p

16. macford macrumors member

macford

I have to say the Bohemian Rhapsody made me laugh. My kids absolutely love the animated poop emoji and recorded a ton of different video to send to friends last night. I think they think its the greatest achievement in the history of technology. And I'm enjoying the rest of the phone.

17. Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

‘Stupid gimmick’ or not, I don’t care, that Bohemian Rhapsody one was genius! Apple should use it and pay whoever made it a handsome sum, just need to put an Apple logo at the end and you have one amazing ad.

18. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Right because this is the only thing the X can be used for. :rolleyes:

19. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502

Having fun would be discovering the great outdoors not this materistic s**t!

20. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Outstanding! :D

(One of my favorites songs, from a favorite band)

It's not like, cost = that_one_function ... it's a little fun feature to kind of demo the facial scanner.

21. robjulo macrumors 6502a

22. DancinDatzuk1 macrumors newbie

DancinDatzuk1

Why can you not do both? Why are you on here reading and posting on this “s**t” when you could be off the grid eating with the bears?!

23. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I still think these things look creepy... :eek: