Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile accessory maker Anker has opened pre-orders for the first Apple-certified USB-C to Lightning cable under the Made for iPhone (MFi) program, and will start shipping the cables later this month.

anker-usb-c-to-lightning-cable.jpg

Apple late last year began allowing third-party companies to produce MFi certified USB-C to Lightning cables, and as a result, multiple companies have announced the upcoming launch of new USB-C to Lightning cable options.

However, as noted by The Verge, it looks like Anker will be the first to make the accessory available, thanks to its PowerLine II USB-C Cable with Lightning Cable.

The cables will be available in both three and six-foot lengths and in different colors, but pre-orders are currently only for the three-foot White PowerLine II, which costs $15.99. An equivalent one-meter (or three-and-a-quarter foot) USB-C to Lightning cable from Apple costs $19.

All cables support Anker's Power Delivery system (using its separately available USB-C Wall Adaptor), have a 12,000 bend lifespan, and come with a lifetime warranty. The company originally planned to launch the cables in March 2019, but initial pre-orders will now ship around February 20.

Article Link: Anker Opens Pre-Orders for First MFi Lightning to USB-C cable, Shipping February 20

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I have a few Nintendo Switch USB C power adapters already. At this point, I would love to have a USB-C to lightning adapter like the original European micro USB adapter.

Reactions: redneckitengineer

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Whoa so much saving, whole 3 dollars! What is the point? If the price was 10 or 8 usd, that is something worth buying
maybe the licensing fee to Apple is $2-$3 dollar so it doesn't sound like there is a lot of profit on this cable.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
maybe the licensing fee to Apple is $2-$3 dollar so it doesn't sound like there is a lot of profit on this cable.
So why bother then? The only reason for buying 3rd party cable is if it is darn cheaper than 3 usd. Anker has not quality cables, I have one but it is slowly deteriorating opposing to Apple ones (and I use Apple ones way way more, Anker is just sitting in the drawer since I have many lightning cables from Apple devices).

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Whoa so much saving, whole 3 dollars! What is the point? If the price was 10 or 8 usd, that is something worth buying
They last longer than Apple branded ones. I just can't imagine paying another Apple's lightning that start breaking on the lightning end. I'm glad it comes with free when I buy the iPhone but after a couple months they're like China junk my original iPod Mini 30 pin cable still intact but these I think we're designed to fall apart quicker, gotta make money.
frayed-lightning-cable-670x335.jpg

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
So why bother then? The only reason for buying 3rd party cable is if it is darn cheaper than 3 usd. Anker has not quality cables, I have one but it is slowly deteriorating opposing to Apple ones (and I use Apple ones way way more, Anker is just sitting in the drawer since I have many lightning cables from Apple devices).
My experience is completely opposite. Apple cables break very easily, Anker ones last forever

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Once my included cables break I replace with Anker so while I don't need this now, it will be nice when I do.

Reactions: DotCom2

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
So far, I have found Anker products, from battery pack to cables, to be very good. The price is higher but it is probably because of the certification.

Reactions: Petetastic

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
It's indeed hard to get excited about a cable, given these already exist on the market too, but at least it's $10 cheaper than Apple's Lightning to USB-C cable.

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
They last longer than Apple branded ones. I just can't imagine paying another Apple's lightning that start breaking on the lightning end. I'm glad it comes with free when I buy the iPhone but after a couple months they're like China junk my original iPod Mini 30 pin cable still intact but these I think we're designed to fall apart quicker, gotta make money.

This. Almost all of our Lightning cables have done this and there is plenty of information online about it. All of the Anker braided ones have been fine.

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018

Well, if you’re detaching the cable with the method this ******* is using then deal with constant replacements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Don’t know what people are doing to their cables, but I’ve never had a lightning cable break down. Never.

That just means you never use your phone while it is plugged in. Apple lightening cables are the least reliable cables I have ever used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.