Anker to Launch USB-C to Lightning Cables in March

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple late last year began allowing third-party companies to produce Made for iPhone or "MFi" certified USB-C to Lightning cables, and as a result, multiple companies have been announcing the upcoming launch of new USB-C to Lightning cable options.

Anker today said that it plans to launch its first USB-C to Lightning cables in March 2019. Anker's Powerline+ USB-C to Lightning cables will feature an aluminum shell and protective braided nylon for durability, while the Powerline version will feature aramid fiber for improved strength.

[​IMG]

The cables will be available in both three and six-foot lengths, with pricing to be announced at a later date.

Anker is also coming out with a USB-C to Lightning Audio Adapter, designed for Macs with USB-C ports and the new iPad Pro. The adapter will allow Lightning headphones to be plugged into a USB-C port. The USB-C to Lightning Audio Adapter is set to launch in April 2019.

Starting tomorrow, Anker is launching its Powerport Atom PD 1, the smallest 30W charger on the market. Priced at $29.99, it uses gallium nitride, a new material that's being used in ultra small chargers for heat dissipation purposes. Anker's new Powerport Atom PD 1 and the upcoming cables will be available on Amazon.

[​IMG]

Along with Anker, several other companies are coming out with USB-C to Lightning cables in the near future. Belkin and Griffin both have Lightning to USB-C cables coming in the near future at prices starting at $24.99 and $19.99, respectively.

Prior to 2019, Apple made the only official USB-C to Lightning cables available for purchase, which are priced starting at $19.

Article Link: Anker to Launch USB-C to Lightning Cables in March

2. brunozs macrumors member

3. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Just in time for the next iPhones to ditch lightning cables for good.

5. garoto macrumors member

Everyone, just skip this. Lighting connector is on its way out. Stick to USB A and whatever adapters you currently have. Paying $20-30 for all this nonsense cables and companies is the broke equivalent of death by a thousand papercuts.

6. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I love Anker, but $60 is a lot to shell out on a cable (even if they have lifetime warranty).

7. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

It’ll go good with your $250 Monster HDMI Cable ;)

8. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Doesn't matter - lots of people will continue to have a need for lightning cables for years to come. Heck, there's still a (shrinking) market for 30-pin cables, for goodness sake!

9. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

What does it say about a Chinese company that sells chargers in US but refuses to have their products go through proper safety UL certification?

10. markaceto macrumors member

markaceto

There are roughly 800,000,000 iPhones in use today. Think they'll probably sell a few cables.

11. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I thought Anker was a European company.

12. joueboy macrumors 65816

Well if you buy Apple original flimsy and frays in 2 months of daily use. Then Anker pays off in 6 months, but $60 for one time payment is a lot to shell.

13. chrfr macrumors 604

Where did you get the $60 number from? There's no mention of Anker's cable pricing in this article.

14. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Did you have to make the same foolish comment on both macrumors and on reddit? You pulled that number out of nowhere

15. martyjmclean, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019

martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

[​IMG]
    A single PowerLine+ II cable is $55.67, but no I just pull numbers out of nowhere.

16. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

0459E54D-3A26-4B14-8DD4-5757F92DF1B7.jpeg

You got a link to that? I’m scouring Amazon and the most expensive Powerline cable is under $20.

Nobody is charging that much for a cable.

17. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

Here's one of them.

18. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

You’re in Australia. Ok. I have no clue about prices there. Sucks for Australians, I guess. In the US, $18.

19. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Umm. This announcement is intended for people who already bought the more recent Lightning-port iPhones. You know… like the X, XS, XR, etc.

Many people who have those Lightning-port iPhones also have USB-C port Macs, iMacs and MBPs. So clearly these cables allow them to fast-charge their phones from their Macs with USB-C ports.

20. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

I bought 10 foot cable on amazon, but it's USB-C to USB-C. Works great and Im looking forward to using it with Ankers new PD1 Atom. I'll lose about 2 foot of length but the travel size should be much smaller than my current Apple set up.

21. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Funny, I search Amazon for "Anker PowerLine+ II cable", and I see lots of variants in the $12-$20 price range.

22. mrow macrumors regular

Does Anker sell products in Australia? I’m guessing not because that is obviously some third party that probably imported a bunch from the US and is selling them for a big mark up.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2019 ---
    Originally from California, founded by former Google employees. They moved the headquarters to China so they could be closer to the manufacturing.

23. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

My XS Max charges quickly (about 1% / minute) using a normal Anker Lightning cable and an adaptor plugged into my MBP charger. Maybe not as fast as the specific Apple cable but still acceptable and faster than when plugged into a PC USB port.

24. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

yeah, that's a massive markup by some third party importer, not from original supplier.

25. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

Oddly enough Anker sells a 10 ft one on aliexpress for $14.00.