Anki Drive AI-Controlled Cars Will Be Available on October 23 for $199

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

First introduced at WWDC, Anki's iOS-controlled AI-based racing game is set to debut later this month. Unlike standard racing toys, Anki Drive is largely self-operating and is described by the company as a "video game in the real world." The concept is similar to slot car racing, with added enhancements that include artificial intelligence, machine learning, and smartphone-based controls.

The Anki cars are placed on a specially designed vinyl track and connect to an iPhone with Bluetooth-LE. Using software and tiny cameras, the cars calibrate their positions on the track and handle steering on their own. Players control the gas and the guns using an iPhone and the Anki Drive app, shooting at other cars on the track to score the highest number of hits.

[​IMG]
    Hits translate to points, and points can be used to both upgrade cars and weapons. Each of the Anki Drive cars has its own unique name, personality, and statistics, with some offering greater acceleration speeds while others have more energy. Engadget went hands-on with the Anki Drive and has a description of the gameplay:
    Anki Drive has several different gameplay modes, including a multiplayer mode that allows several players to compete against one another and a single player mode where one of the cars is controlled through AI. Each of the Anki Drive cars has its own name, personality, and statistics, with some offering greater acceleration speeds while others have more energy. No car can be fully upgraded to match the others, which makes each one unique.

[​IMG]
    Anki Drive will be available in the United States and Canada on Apple's website and in retail stores beginning on October 23. Each bundle, which includes two cars, chargers, and a race track, retails for $199. Two additional cars can be purchased for $69 each.

The Anki Drive app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Anki Drive AI-Controlled Cars Will Be Available on October 23 for $199

2. jonyive4 macrumors member

3. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I actually check the AppStore every few months to see if it got released without me knowing #

4. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

It'd be cool if they could adapt to extended tracks. Then you could have tournaments with your cars/weapons upgrading throughout the event.

5. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

It soft launched in Singapore, so maybe it's coming soon?

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Pretty cool concept but for $200 with only two cars I doubt it will sell well...

At that price as a kid I'd rather have an Xbox 360, PS3 or Nexus 7, which I'd likely use for much longer, not just as a novelty/demoware.

7. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

It's out... but only in Singapore :(

8. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

9. Sardonick007 macrumors regular

Sardonick007

10. q64ceo macrumors regular

Do you know what would be awesome?

RC cars controlled via bluetooth

11. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

what's with these comments? What is this, the 1st Gen iPhone launch? I say test out the product and see how it feels first before cracking on the price.

12. Tech198 macrumors G5

Looks like a toy....

I saw this at WWDC event this AI stuff

Maybe i'm missing something, but these look the typical remote controlled cars i as a kid on a trace track, but instead have camera bult in so they can steel by themselves without a remote....

Whats the practical use for these in the real world ? or this is all they do?

13. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

$200?!?!?!

Hmm, should I buy a new iPhone 5S, or that Anki thing....?

14. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I've pretty much been wondering the same thing myself. I wouldn't knock the price for what it is (there was probably a decent amount of R&D that went into it). But I'm highly curious as to what the target audience of this product is hah. It definitely seems too high priced to be like any other toy. Besides people over the age of 20 who like model train sets (and other things like this) I don't know who else they'd sell it to

15. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
  16. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I still prefer the AR drone to dive bomb the cats while in a different room...

17. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Why are the cars so expensive if all of the processing power is in your phone?????

18. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I nearly forgot about this :eek:

19. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

I believe the main novelty point beyond simple remote controlled cars is that there is a digital intelligence in these cars.

It seems they have a game where cars shoot missiles at one and another, and the computer keeps track of hits and misses. Seems it is an impressive piece of technology.

However it is also simply a toy, that while cool is hard to justify, expecially ON TOP of the cost of the idevice.

20. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Sort of exists already, but with wifi, yet serving the same purpose. AR Drone.

21. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Some people will buy it for a Christmas gift.... And it'll be neat for a few days but ultimately these things will just end up in storage on top of the Wii Fit.

22. See Flat macrumors member

it says two additional cars for 69$

does not say 69$ each, and certainaly does not say 79$

23. EricTheHalfBee Suspended

They already have those. And compared to the Anki stuff they are Fisher Price.

You are missing a lot. These cars have an onboard processor that links up with your iPhone over BT LE and between the two of them allows the cars to function by themselves (AI). The cars are almost like role-playing characters. You earn points to spend on upgrades changing the character of the car and what it's capable of. Different cars have different characters and will react differently to the same situations they encounter on the track. You can take your "upgraded" car to a friends and try it out against their car.

The cars can function completely by themselves following a set of rules and objectives related to choices you've made. You can also control them yourself by making some of the decisions during gameplay.

Think of how many people there are who build Sumobots to "fight" each other. From what I've seen these Anki cars are more complex/capable than most Sumobots. When you think of the cost and compare it to a Sumobot suddenly they don't seem that expensive at all.

24. gCloud macrumors 6502a

U have to tilt the phone, 5s phones are already tilted :)

25. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It's unclear from that sentence if MacRumors meant $69 each or for the two, but The Verge's article which seems to be a lot more complete makes it clear that it's $69 each (assuming they're not wrong).