Anki's 'Vector' Home Robot Now Available for Purchase

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Recognition macrumors 6502a

Recognition

Think of Anki as a baby, learning and growing into a mature robotics company, I believe he’s not talking about Vector exclusively growing but the company as a whole growing, learning and doing more with each new product it develops.

2. dave61 macrumors member

dave61

3. JosephAW, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018

JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

A red flag goes up whenever someone tells me that I can trust them as part of their sales pitch. The "good robot" phrase is like a car salesman or mechanic saying they are "honest" or say "trust me" right up front.
    Usually when you hear something like that they usually do the opposite to you. We learn this is a regular tactic in politics.
    In today's vernacular that would be google or face book saying that protecting your private information is important to them and they will never sell your personal information.

4. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Or spend the money on a gym membership and meet REAL people. Ha ha. Only joking. How D'you switch it on again? Oh yeah. Funny. Little robot Speaks. Like human. Me like humans.Just not to talk to directly.

5. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

Only in the sense that if won’t fall off over the edge of one. Which probably isn’t what you meant, but still blows my mind because I’m old.

6. laz232 macrumors 6502

In my opinion, anyone that seems to buy this kind of useless consumer crap, cannot complain about Trump withdrawing from the Paris climate accords.

Consumerism, and the jobs require to obtain the money to support this consumerism, is no doubt a large factor in the strain that we are putting on the environment.

Here is another mindless little toy to keep us amused for a few hours before it makes its way to the scrapheap. Good job Silicon Valley!

7. martygras9 macrumors 6502

martygras9

Preordered for my oldest for Christmas. Arrived on Tuesday. He’s gonna be stoked!

8. Morgenland, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018

Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

9. barkomatic macrumors 601

I couldn’t resist and got one. It doesn’t have a practical purpose but it does a pretty good job of being a pet and I don’t regret the purchase. Think of it as a much cheaper Aibo.

10. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I’d pick this up for my kid for Christmas if it was more like $150 and if she didn’t have a little brother who will end up breaking it. She loves robots. We both think it’s really endearing and expressive. I feel that toys like this are laying the groundwork for much more useful robots in the future. You have to start somewhere!

11. WilliamG macrumors G3

Not to mention the agonizingly slow response times.

12. vcboard macrumors member

Wanted to try, but the problem is most of the time my work desk is not clean enough like in the ads video. It'll likely only stay in its charging dock.

13. usarioclave macrumors 65816

14. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

In what way?

15. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Anki still make and sell 'ol Cozmo. There's a blue 2019 variant.

The main problem I have with Vector is that it's what Cozmo should have been from the start: Untethered autonomous (vs. Cozmo 'running' on iPhone).
    Plus; Vector essentially benefits from re-using the Cozmo design/tooling, and can leverage a large part of the R&D.

I do like the Anki toys, but Cozmo doesn't meet the hype/expectations, and doesn't appear to deserve reciprocal bug fixes (they took out the self-charging)

16. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

I like the direction, but it is far too limited IMO. Also, the "smart speaker" feature is clunky requiring an extra step and has a noticeable delay. Alexa integration later in the year will be a necessary touch.

I like my Roomba, it can navigate my house, has a personality of sorts and cleans the floor. Perhaps if they put googly expressive eyes and a smart speaker into that my lizard brain and cold heart would be convinced it is a pet. But with things like this the marketing is always years ahead of the product. If only my little robot pal could fetch a pen or a fork, or nudge the TV remote over in an adorable way.
    I do like the idea of a remote security guard filming things, keeping an eye on things.

17. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Sounds like a perfect description of one of my old Girlfriends! :D

18. mrklaw macrumors 68020

I'd like a companion to my roomba. Something like the old 'Big Trak' (Showing my age) that can trundle around and pick up obstructions from the floor that Roomba would otherwise eat - socks, slippers, that kind of thing.

19. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

What you're advocating is that unless something can be absolutely perfect, have every feature/ability, and have everything that it would need in the future, it's not worth doing at all.

As far as people needing an "artificial companion," what do you think your phone is?