Announcement next Tuesday?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gaelan, Jun 12, 2007.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

Are people expecting an announcement this coming Tuesday? I keep reading posts like, "hopefully next Tuesday" and "just wait until next Tuesday". Is there some merit to this or is it just wishful thinking?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Historically Apple announced things on tuesdays, now people often say in jest (and sadly seriousness) that the next "big thing" or product revision is comming "next tuesday".

3. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

tuesday after WWDC just seems ridiculous to me.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Actually it might not be. Think about it for a moment. Right now the home page features Leopard.Conquer Time and Spaces. This is confusing to the consumer who can't get Leopard till October, so it is unlikely to stay featured on the home page for 2 1/2 weeks until the iPhone comes out. So they can either move the Vroom with a View MBPs back up there, or replace it with something. Last fall there was a showtime event planned Sept 12. Instead of announcing the 24" iMacs/Core 2 Duo iMacs then, they showed up the previous Wednesday. Given all this, Apple may feature new Santa Rosa updated iMacs either Tuesday June 12 (not likely, give Leopard a little more play than that), Wednesday June 13 (more likely, 2 days but still within the media buzz week), or Tuesday June 19 (most likely, give Leopard 1 week on the feature, and the iMacs 10 days before the iPhone is out). The link to Leopard would simply move to one of the four smaller boxes. The new iPhones ads (far right) is the obvious choice as the next to go. The other possibility is iMacs Tuesday June 26 and once the iPhone hits that Friday, they will alternate the main page, a simple refresh will take you from one to the other.

5. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

it just seems misleading to hold a big event like WWDC and make no mention of an update that is scheduled for one of their products within the next two weeks.

i would also question how they would work that into their "major in mac" program.

btw, what is the big benefit of santa rosa compared to what is currently in the imacs?

6. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i Hope they come out, i anticipated the release of the new Aluminum ones so I put my iMac 24" on ebay.. so i dunno

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I think it's in Apple's best financial interest to get machines out soon. Then, people will buy Leopard when it comes out (hopefully). :rolleyes:

8. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Why? They also made no mention of the Macbook/Pro updates. That's not what they're using WWDC for.

Mainly the new chipset, which allows for an 800MHz FSB (up from 667), and a slightly higher fastest CPU (2.4GHz up from 2.33). The CPUs also have a few other benefits, but mostly the faster FSB. Oh, and it supports 4GB of RAM, up from 3ish.
    Theoretically Apple could also use Turbo Cache or whatever Intel calls it, but I doubt they will in the next iMac, as they didn't in the Macbook Pro update.

9. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

The MB/MBP updates occurred before WWDC. If they were updated post WWDC, then the same rule/complaint would apply.

I bought an iMac after WWDC. They were not updated and no plans were mentioned about an update. I would assume lots of people did the same thing, at least those that are in need of a new computer and can't/don't want to wait any more.

At this point it would seem strange for an update to occur so soon after WWDC. Keep in mind I'm new to Apple, so I'm not really familiar with how they manage their product lines.

10. myjellyass macrumors regular

That was a bit pre-emptive; it was never even very certain, hence RUMOR. Do what you like with your hardware i suppose, just seems a bit silly to sell it when you dont really have any idea of whether you'll be able to get another.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just like the Tuesday before was ridiculous.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

He pretty much said it. Mostly looking forward to the new rumored aluminum case. Of course I want the latest in specs. Mostly the new 4GB RAM ceiling. The FSB and speed bumps are more negligible.

I have been torn between a Mac Pro/Cinema Display and an iMac. The Mac Pro is overkill and the RAM is $$. Similarly the Mini is underpowered, notebook drive, Core Duo. Yet the iMac is white. The rumor of aluminum iMacs solves this dilemna for me, especially since I really like the space saving appeal of the iMac. Ideally a mid-range tower is perfect, but short of that those are my options. I considered a 15" MBP and Cinema display, but don't like laptops as desktops, takes up to much space with external KB, again smaller drives and drive speed, and cost as much as a Mac Pro. Here's hoping we get those aluminum iMacs, and sooner rather than later.

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Wishful thinking I fear ... ;)

FJ

14. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I just don't see what the connection is. Updating any of the Macs, especially the iMac, doesn't really seem to have a connection to WWDC. Especially when Apple's been doing these things independent of big events now (probably garners more press-plus they can do them when they're ready).

Besides, all the rumors point to late June as more likely.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Agreed, the only thing about late June that worries me is competing w/ the iPhone for press attention, which is why I think 6.19 is more likely than 6.26.

16. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

Like i said that was different. Those updates were before WWDC. People weren't waiting until that particular Tuesday for product information to use for purchasing decisions. Lots of folks, like myself were waiting until WWDC to make final purchasing decisions.

I'm not discounting that there could be some product announcement on any given Tuesday, but it would be unfortunate for those who purchased based on the absence of any new info from WWDC. Apple has a schedule of updates. I know they are not going to lay it out for consumers months in advance, but to pass WWDC only to update a product 2 weeks later seems to me a disservice to its customers.

17. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

With Apple, you'll always be told to wait until Tuesday :rolleyes:

18. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

The connection is that its an Apple event that's held to give people information about upcoming products. I just figured something that Apple has scheduled (product update) to occur in the next week or so would be divulged at such an event.

In a perfect world, Steve would have said, "To all of you waiting to by a new iMac, just hold off another week or two at the latest. We have somethig special for you".

In reality, people went ahead and purchased an iMac based on the absence of such a remark.

19. KingofAwesome macrumors regular

I highly doubt any updated systems will be out between now and the iPhone launch.

However, I think that we will see new machines coming out in mid- to late-August. Why? Because if Leopard comes out in October, then the new machines can ship with vouchers for Leopard at that point. A new machine released now will not do as well since we know that the new OS will not be arriving for four months, but if the OS is due within 30-60 days, a new machine and a voucher should enjoy much better sales.

This is all speculation of course, based on no special information, but I expect to see a scenario like this happen.

20. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

@roland.g - i read through what you were saying and it seems like a good idea for and seems all legit like that it *could* happen i myself was hoping for an iMac but we didnt see one. I think possibly tuesday 19th could be a good idea for apple because as you said it gives leopard some time then iMac some time and then again iPhone on the 29th afterwards, but who knows..... I just hope for that.

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't see that happening. The only time Apple gives out free or shipping cost only for the new OS is 14 days or so prior to release, or from the time of the announcement of an actual availability date to that date period. Apple won't worry about upgraders in the 30-60+ window b/c there is no need to upgrade the OS. Many people don't want the .0 release, they want the .1 or .2 once the bugs are worked out. Only people waiting for Leopard will go after it right away. For the general consumer, those buying after the release get the benefit of the new OS. Similarly many regular consumers bought MBPs the week prior to the last update and either know nothing of the new ones or it doesn't really matter to them. However, those here at MR operate a little differently and plan according to the cycles, etc.

22. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think an iMac update will give me buyers remorse of my recent iMac purchase. I got a nice machine that will last a long time. I think it will just further perplex me as to how Apple runs its business. Like I said, I'm new to Apple. I've been reading a great deal about the company, its CEO and its history. Seems secrecy is a huge part of their strategy, so maybe they just incorporate this secrecy into how they communicate with their consumer base.

23. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Good point. In a way I think what Apple's done here is pretty smart. They've garnered themselves almost a free solid month of coverage. First the Macbook (negative to most of us, but I don't think the "mainstream PC press" is bright enough to get that, then the Macbook Pro, then WWDC with 10.5, then the iPhone, then the iMac, all on seperate weeks. Gives them a lot of exposure, at least in the Cnet type outlets.
    That's not what WWDC is. Although I'd never rule out them announcing something like an iMac update at the WWDC, it really isn't the venue for it, by it's very nature.

If you want an iMac, I'd hold off until the update if you can. Should be pretty soon, and as mentioned, it's kind of expected around the end of June. No one was expecting it this week.

24. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

When did you buy? Why didn't you wait for the update? And what's perplexing about it? Companies generally don't pre-announce things, for the obvious reason that they can't afford to kill sales on the current model.

25. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Expecting, no. Hoping, yes.