Annoyed at Macrumors ignoring UK problems

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by thecritix, Jul 11, 2008.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

Myself, along with many other apple enthusiasts and Macrumors members today queued and eventually purchased an iPhone 3g.
    There were massive system failures with O2 which have damaged the launch and the smooth running of the process.

Despite my reporting the problems to macrumors, and others posting in the forums it doesn't even make second page...

Why?
    Because macrumors is sooo America Centric its ridiculous..

I love the site and spend alot of time here, but Its very very frustrating that seemingly UK users are ignored....!

(I'm not intending to upset anyone, but I do feel that we are totally unrepresented!)

2. Squires macrumors regular

Squires

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There are tons of UK and EU mods online, right now, clearing the place up because it's busy as hell. There are threads about O2 in the iPhone Help forum. There are stories all over the press and web about O2's problems..

I'm not sure what more you want us to do...

4. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't understand why the story of O2's system crashing and my (me being one of the very first) order taking two hours to complete...

Especially considering the problems we already had with O2.

I feel it would have been valuable at least page 2 news, possibly front page while we were waiting for america to join in.

Please don't think I'm having a go! Its an awesome site, Its just frustrating, as I know if this had been in America there would haev been a fuss made for weeks!

(The 3g iphone rocks btw :apple::apple::apple::apple:)

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What's this 'UK' I keep hearing about. It sounds like a place, but I don't remember ever hearing about it in my US Geography courses. :rolleyes:

There have been problems everywhere. It sounds more like an Apple problem than a specific carrier problem anyway. Things will clear up. Just relax a little.

6. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Firstly, you chose to queue today (well, it takes all sorts) and, secondly, what do you want the MR posters to do about it? Or is it a principle thing? Demanding your right to whine?

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

U.K. visitors make up 9% of the site's visitors.
    U.S. visitors make up 60%.

I live in the U.S., and I was asleep during the U.K. launch after having been up for the previous 48 hours (check the story times :) )

Sorry it didn't get covered. It probably would have been if I was awake. I'll add it into the latest story.

arn

8. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

1. MacRumors is an American site with a majority of American posters. (see Arns stats.)

2.Stop whinging

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Any chance we could have some sticky threads on UK stock availability (current/pending ) in the iPhone forum? Will make some in that 9% very happy! :)

(O2 - our only carrier is being rediculous - can't call them without waqiting 20-30 minutes, they refer you to the store, the stores aren't answering their phones. Therefore the only real info is from word of mouth from those who've visited the stores - a central place for this would be useful)

Thanks.

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Can you give us a country by country breakdown?

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

and visitors - does that include members?
    When i look at the forums, it seems visitors = non-members/members not signed in.

So the country breakdown might well be different for members/visitors. Anyhow, not grumbling at all, cracking site :)
    Doing well to cope with all of us hehe

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

13. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Sounds like a problem with O2 that should be addressed on the O2 website.

If you're going to rant about a problem you're having with your iPhone and O2, I'm not seeing the logic in calling out the owner or the moderators at MacRumors.com. Wouldn't your energy be better directed toward resolving the issue with O2 -- the company that can actually do something about it? :rolleyes:

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

hehe - you've obviously not tried to get in any form of contact with O2 today ;)
    30 minute phone calls, unanswered phones, no information, cluelessness? I think i'd imagine there is some pressure release venting.

For me, the strange thing is that Macrumors is so US/UK/Canada heavy. I guess the nonnative english speaking countries have a non-english macrumor equivalent?

interestingly, on the stats from Google, the UK is above Canada:

Uniques 3,318,630 513,163 361,135
    % 55.60 8.60 6.05

15. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

You're right, of course, but I also didn't rush out today to buy the new iPhone. Problems with activation are "legendary" after the first go-round, so I'm waiting for the lines to die down and the initial launch problems to be resolved before I buy the phone. I'm not clear on why anyone would expect this time to be any different, particularly given the reputation of the companies involved.

16. kabunaru Guest

I am annoyed by the fact that MacRumors is not spelt MacRumours. ;)

17. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Okay, which one of you lives in Guinea-bissau?

According to that table Ireland is quite well represented here, considering our population.

18. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Then is would be misspelt and I would be annoyed.:p

20. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Then I would be annoyed because you're annoyed :D

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm quite surprised at the US stats, 60% seems awfully low really.

22. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It does sound low at first... but it's a remarkably consistent percentages amongst like-sites.

arn

23. pinks macrumors regular

I think you raise an important point, and I really don't think it's fair to suggest that you're "whinging" (as some others have done). The truth is that this is an internationally recognised website and should reflect a range of international perspectives. After all more than 40% of visitors come from beyond the borders of US!

While I think that MacRumors does, in general, achieve strong international representation, coverage of the iPhone 3G launch has occasionally been a little parochial. This is hardly surprising given the localisation of tariffs, costs etc. Nonetheless, there are contingent risks of alienating non-US audiences.

I wonder if the solution might be more clearly signposted forums dedicated to specific geographies (US, UK, Australia, Ireland, etc.)

Just my £0.02 worth.

God save the Queen!

24. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

It seems to me that everyone has an equal opportunity to post their opinions/questions/problems where ever and when ever they want regardless of their place of origin.

Not every issue becomes a major story right away, deserving or not. That's true with this site, and with any journalistic outfit worldwide.

I also don't believe every country represented here needs their own division. I like interacting with a global audience and feel that flavor might be lost with people staying "close to home."

25. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

Way to make me feel bad arn!

Anyway, all I'm saying is that, there is no need in many cases for geographical boundaries, some of us are American some British and many others from different nationalities.

If the sales system had gone down in an American state, I think it woulda made front page news..! I think rather than making seperate forums as suggested above.. we ought to make it more of a global thing and less divided like that.

Anyway congratulations arn on an otherwise very well covered launch, build up and long may macrumors (or possible rumours*) continue to prosper!

Cheers
    Nick