Annoyed that i waited for the 9.7 "pro" now...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hancox, Mar 19, 2016.

1. hancox macrumors member

hancox

All I really wanted was an upgraded Air 2 - the "pro" pieces really don't do much for me...

Honestly, I'm seriously considering a refurb 64GB wifi air 2 at 509 - which i could have had ages ago. Ugh.

2. 617aircav Suspended

You have lost nothing by waiting. Fact is you have saved money.

3. hancox thread starter macrumors member

hancox

Sorry, should have been clearer - I've been without a working iPad for months.

I'm also not so sure on the "saving money" part, unless Apple drops the price of the Air 2, which history doesn't support that much (especially if they try to differentiate with a "pro" name).

4. Three141, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

Why are you annoyed? the rule of thumb is if you can wait; wait and you did which was a good decision.
    Think if you had rushed and bought an ipad and after the return period you realise they have a brilliant revision for the device?
    If I was you I would wait until it is realised and if it still does not float your boat buy the current model at a cheaper price than what you would pay today win/win for you.

5. AFEPPL, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Why are you annoyed? What does it matter if it's called Air 3 or Pro? It's going to be an upgraded 9.7" iPad.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The days of Apple being predictable are over. These days, anyone interested in purchasing an Apple product (especially iPads and Macbooks) need to really pay close attention to WHAT Apple actually releases and WHEN they release them. It was always the case but more so now.

I had an iPad 4 that I had been holding on to in the hopes that Apple would produce an iPad Pro that would suit my needs. When I saw what they produced, and that there was no simultaneous Air 3 announcement, I knew (instinctively) that the Air 2 was going to be "it" for at least another 6-12 months before a replacement was announced. The processor, RAM, and unique capabilities via iOS 9.x meant that it would still be a very good tablet for the foreseeable future. But the fact that it was already a year old meant that I didn't want to pay full price for one.

2-3 week after the iPad Pro was announced, retailers started having sales on iPad Air 2's. First it was $50 off, then $100, and then $150. That's when I jumped in and bought a BRAND NEW 128GB iPad Air 2 for $549. While the sale was going on, some said to "wait". That there was a possibility of a November announcement of the Air 3. They also believed that there would be even better deals for the Air 2 on Black Friday. Common sense would say that neither of those were going to happen... and they didn't.

We're just a few days away from the 21st. Rumors will become fact or put to rest then. Wait to see what Apple ACTUALLY announces. Make a decision THEN based on that... not what some huckleberries on a forum say about what might be announced a few months down the road.

As for me, although I bought an Air 2 about 6 months ago, I'm interested to see what Apple announces. Depending upon that, I might buy the new iPad (Air 3 or Pro 9.7 or whatever it'll be called) and hand down the Air 2 to my wife (who is currently using my old iPad 4)

8. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Right now a 32 GB iPad Air is $449. An upgraded iPad Air 3 would've cost the same.
    The 9.7" iPad Pro (32 GB) will be $599.
    So Apple just raised the prices of their new 9.7" tablets just because of the Pro name.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

QFT. The rumors that peg the new model at 600$ also say the Air 2 will drop to 400$. Will it happen? I honestly don't know, but if the rumors are right, it also means the refurb prices will drop with the new prices. I dunno, I'd be interested in waiting 2 days at this point to find out if I might save 100$ over today's pricing.

10. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Right now a 32GB Air is $449 because it's a generation old. The current iPad Air 2 is $499 for a 16GB. IF Apple winds up starting the next 9.7" iPad at $599 with 32GB of storage, then the base model is only $100 more than the current gen base model, but you get double the storage.

11. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

You're right, I meant to compare it with the Air 2. Still, it's $100 more for the base model.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Have you used one. I had my doubts too but my air 2 was a very loved device but the Pro replaced it just for the screen real estate. It is awesome hardware!!!

13. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

That's why sometimes it's best not to overthink things.

If you been without a working iPad for months...well, that your fault. And this stage, you might as well wait and see what Apple unveils tomorrow.

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Again, we're talking about the price of a product that hasn't even been announced yet. It may very well be $599 for the base model, but let's wait until that's confirmed before we get upset.

And like I said, at $599 for 32GB, that is $100 more than the base model Air 2, but you're getting twice the storage. I was going to buy a 64GB iPad next time, which would cost me $100 more anyway, because 16GB is just really hard to deal with sometimes, but 32GB would be enough for me. $599 for a 32GB Pro would be the same I'd pay for a 64GB Air 3.

15. Skika macrumors 68030

Meh i have been sticking with my original air in hopes of an air3, but lost hope now with all the 9.7 pro rumors. I also decided the next ipad i buy will have to have force touch as i am really missing it going from my 6S to ipad.

16. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I ended up going with a samsung galaxy tab s, the amoled screen is fantastic, in fact before i buy another iPad i'd like to see if they switch to them, the phone is rumored to be doing so next year

17. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

AT&T has a certified refurbished 128GB Air 2 with LTE for $609 with contact.

I checked with Apple and they are eligible for AppleCare.

18. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Interesting that you did...more power to you.

The amoled is indeed gorgeous, but I have zero interest in a win10 tablet even though all my desktops/laptops run Windows.

How's the battery life?

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The Galaxy Tab S is an Android tablet, if I'm not mistaken. It's the Galaxy Tab Pro that runs Windows.

20. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Honestly I haven't had a new iPad since March 2012. I use mine sparingly. My iPhone 6s Plus does 99.99% of what I need.
    Waiting isn't a bad thing. You can weigh choices.

21. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

You're right...my mixup.

But the tab pro s is a nice tablet...the S2 that came the following year was crippled by the small battery.

Samsung blew it by trying to make the S2 more iPad-like instead of just improving the S.

22. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

The disappointing part about the Pro coming today, if Gurman is correct, is that the Pro line seems to have gone to "if you want LTE, you have to buy literally the most expensive one we make", which totally sucks.

To me, having LTE has actually been an offset that *allowed* me to use iPads with less storage onboard, but Apple, going for bean counter Average Sales Price increases, has gone the other way completely on the pro's.

Again, this is if Gurman is correct about today (which I think he will be).

23. Serban Suspended

it is officially the new ipad will start from $599 32gb storage

24. hancox thread starter macrumors member

hancox

What I'm more interested in is whether or not the Air 2 drops at all. If not, it's really going to confirm my annoyance - there was no point in waiting.

25. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

It is NOT official. Until today's event, the pricing is just rumor.

That said, it may very well be that price. It's just not official until the announcement.