Annoyed with Apple.. again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookPro13", Mar 1, 2011.

1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Long story short - purchased my first MacBook Pro 13" on the 2nd of February 2011, was delivered on the 7th 2011. The MPB stopped working on the 8th 2011 and I rang Apple and they shipped a replacement for that computer which I received on the 14th of February 2011. That replacement had two faults, audio and an issue with the bottom of the laptop not built right.

I rang Apple and told them about these problems on the 26th of February and they agreed to ship another replacement and because the update had come two days earlier I asked would it be possible to get the 2011 model as the replacement - he said that as it was a second replacement, he would need supervisor permission and said that it was going to be the 2011 model as the 2010's weren't being built anymore. He said this would be approved Monday the 28th.

Monday 28th arrived and I looked at my order status and it hadn't changed from my previous order of #1 replacement. I rang them and they said it hasn't been approved yet but the person on the phone said she would try and speed it up.

Today, 1st March 2011, the order status has been updated and estimated shipping is 3-5 business days (was 24 hours last two times) and from the specs below that, it is the 2010 model I am being issued.

I am annoyed because I specifically asked for the 2011 as a replacement and the guy on the phone gave me the impression that I was getting a 2011 model.

(I wouldn't be complaining but seeing people returning older MBP's than mine and getting 2011 ones with no questions asked, I feel I am entitled to a 2011 as well.)

What do I do now? :(

:apple:

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

return for refund...can challenge with CC compnay if necessary...buy the new 2011 model

3. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

That's the problem with your (our) generation, you have this sense of entitlement.

Call up Apple and POLITELY check up on the progress of your laptop.

I'm one of those people that got to exchange my one-month old MBP for the newer ones.

4. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Problem with getting a refund is that I got a 17% employee discount from my uncle and he is only entitled to 3 discounts a year and it would be pretty unfair to ask him for another one.

5. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I would get on their case. I know you have, but it doesn't mater if it's your second, third, or gazillionith replacement. As long as Apple keeps shipping you faulty machines, you are entitled to another one. And, theoretically since you purchased your computer within a few weeks of the upgrade, you were probably entitled to the new '11 even if you received a good computer from the getgo.

6. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

My sense of entitlement has arose from seeing others getting free upgrades, nothing more.

(I am also sure that most of those getting free upgrades haven't had to send back two laptops to Apple like I had to do).

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Seems to be the least hassle.

Edit: Never mind, just read about your uncle's employee discount. Seems like there's nothing you can do, other than what you've been doing.

8. superego macrumors member

First of all, I think it's great that you didn't settle for anything less than a flawless laptop. If they said that you'd get 2011 model, you should ask them about it once more. Then again if you finally receive a perfect 2010 model, maybe you should stick with it, as it's notoriously difficult to get a perfect laptop from Apple these days.

9. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

The definition of entitlement is with regards to legality.

Since you were sensibly near your return period AND you had a faulty machine, it would have been much easier for you to go to Apple and plead your case about exchanging for a different machine.

Another aspect, Apple's rule is that they only offer replacements after 3 legitimate cases. You are only on your 2nd. Thats the reason why it's taking so long.

10. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Maybe try calling back again and actually being pleasant and civil, people tend to respond well to that.

11. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I rang Apple just there and enquired about the order, mentioning that I was told that I was going to get a 2011 model this time.

The guy on the phone was great and seemed dedicated to my cause and I have confidence in him in getting me a 2011 replacement.

We exchanged email addresses so he can keep me up to date on what is happening.

I sent him this email just to make sure he fully understood my situation and to keep written evidence of the scenario;

He responded within minutes;

So now I just have to wait I guess.. :eek:

12. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I was both pleasant and civil EVERY time that I have rang Apple since Feb 2nd.

13. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

The tone of your original post would not lead most people to believe that was the case. Sounds like you have a handle on your situation so, good luck.

14. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Typing out an OP of a thread where I am annoyed, is a little different to speaking to someone on the phone.

I am smart enough to know that being polite on the phone is the best way to get things done.

15. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

You deserve the model you bought originally. Nothing more, nothing less.

16. Mik3F macrumors 6502

You took the words right out of my mouth. If Apple choose to upgrade you then that is there prerogative, not yours to make them

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Wait, the uncle with the 17% employee discount didn't tell you to wait a few weeks?!? The impending release of updated models was no secret.

You got a great machine for 17% off! That you aren't getting upgraded and others are is life. You already got more than you paid for.

18. 482214 macrumors 6502

Perhaps not - when you take into account the extra time and energy he has spent on this ongoing 'saga', a 2011 model is fair compensation. It has happened twice now and this shouldnt be the case from any premium brand, no matter what product it is.

Buying an apple laptop should be a pleasure - something to be excited about from initial ordering to when you power it up the first time. Excellent customer service should be hand in hand with this journey. Instead he was let down... Twice!

19. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I got 2 defective MBP's for what I paid for..

20. tjb1 macrumors 68000

So because others have gotten theirs replaced you feel entitled to have your 2010 model replaced with a 2011 model? Apple is doing what they offered to you, fix/replace with identical model for 1 year or until AppleCare is expired. You have no right to demand a 2011 model because your 2010 model was defective. You are also not entitled to a return/refund because you bought yours before the refresh...is Apple just supposed to stop selling the 2010 models 6 months before the 2011 so you dont whine when the 2011 comes out? I bet you would be complaining because you couldnt buy one then.

Yours is being fixed, you dont become entitled to the 2011 because yours is defective. The 2010 has no problems that would cause a recall and be cause for a substitute of a different model.

21. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Legally he WOULD have a case in court, seeing as apparently many, many users got their OLD models replaced yet he can't? Why is that? Either Apple applies the same rule to everyone, or they apply it to no one. He IS entitled, legally, as well, because they no longer produce the 2010 models, yet they OWE HIM a working model. How can you even disagree with that? If they can't procure one for him, another solution MOST be come to, otherwise legal ramifications will be in order. At least, they should be. They can't leave him with a defective product.

You people are all up in arms because he used to word entitled. Normally, yes, that's annoying, but legally, now, he is. There's a difference between a store manager being nice once and bending the rules for one person, but for hundreds, possibly? No, that's messed up.

22. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

By your argument if your mom gives you a birthday gift she has to give me one too.

Just because Apple is kind enough to do a favor for 1 person (or 1 million) doesn't mean they are required to do a favor for you as well.

It's not messed up. That mentality is everything that is wrong with our "entitlement generation".

23. Tapiwa, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Tapiwa macrumors member

Oh really? Are you a lawyer?
    There is no case there.

All Apple owes him is a working computer if it fails during the warranty period.
    They could send him a refurbished 2010 model and call it a day.

Edit:
    To the OP: I can understand why you're annoyed, getting two faulty computers in a row.
    I hope you do get a 2011 model for your trouble. It would be nice.

24. 482214 macrumors 6502

Agreed - people unlike the use of such definitive vocabulary. I can understand why. A persons perception of his explanation will depend on how they interpret it all as an individual - and of course, rightly so.

I believe Apple will continue to face such troubles until they set clear and rigid policies that all sides can follow. What they do for one customer, MUST be the same for EVERY customer.

It doesnt help them when individual Apple employees take sides and then even publish it for all to see via an e-mail.

If I was in his situation I would be very annoyed that I'd been sent 2 faulty units and had to wait what must seem like an eternity for a fully working version.

Personally and without trying to upset anyone here, I hope you do get your upgrade and that it works straight out of the box.

You would do well to put your experience on the various review sites available. These are routinely monitored and can often lead to surprising results... Positive results!

Good luck

25. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

All seems to be resolved, even if I will have to wait another week or two before I get my hands on this one.

[​IMG]

Thanks for everyone who was in support of this. :)