Annoying Apple iMac Purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kiantech, Sep 5, 2011.

1. kiantech macrumors regular

Just bought a new iMac today 9/5/2011 from the Santa Monica store in CA and I am a little disappointed. I bought the entry level iMac $1199 model and it came with snow leopard pre installed... WTF? I knew that it was snow leopoard but how would anyone else know (ie non techie folk). I called the apple store and the lady told me that they still have a few with snow leopard. Shouldnt they at least notify people before you walk out the door. I already bought Lion so installing it again was not a problem, but waiting for 4gb plus download a non native install isnt the same as an upgrade. Also, Apple updated the keyboard layout to a more lion style look, I don't want to sound like a cry baby but I expect apple to have at least updated their hardware when the major OS came out over a month ago. I usually do not complain about stupid stuff, but after spending over $1k I expect better from Apple. I guess I should order online next time to get the newest refresh. Still upset, my parents would not have noticed what the difference is between lion/snow leopard. /end rant

Wanted to share that don't expect the newest OS updates in store even a month later, and do not be surprised if no one mentions anything.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Stop whining and move on. What a pointless thread.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

non techie people wouldnt have cared and never would have noticed.

and still been happy.

5. kiantech thread starter macrumors regular

6. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Hope you got the trackpad upgrade because lion is useless with the magic mouse. Just return it for one preinstalled. There's no restocking fee. The photo and specs on the box should've told you 10.6 was preinstalled on it.

7. kiantech thread starter macrumors regular

Like I said, I do not want to sound like a cry baby why not expect the most current version of an OS. I wouldnt complain if 10.7.0 was installed, but a major version is a different story. Just getting the word out.

They would notice when they can't install software because it requires lion in a year.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

and which software are you referring to?

9. kiantech thread starter macrumors regular

I'm referring to software that is not out yet, ie software that eventually required a minimum of snow leopard and at one point required a minimum of leopard....tiger...and so on.

10. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

least you got the free snow leopard usb stick....

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Since it's a free upgrade, it's not a huge issue.

Edit: Just looked at the site and it needs to be claimed within 30 days of purchase so I withdraw my comment.

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The ones with Lion have the Lion galaxy wallpaper on the box. Pretty easy to spot the difference actually.

13. kiantech thread starter macrumors regular

Opps, guess I am an idiot to not know all of apple's box artwork?

14. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

complaining about upgrade compatibility over software that is nonexistent atm...

15. MacHamster68, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

so you are asking Apple for lion on every iMac they sell , fair enough if you are willing to pay more , they had produced already thousands of 2011 iMac's before lion was released ,even before the 2011 iMac was released , because if a Mac is released in 2011 production did actually start much much earlier otherwise they would not have enough in stock to sell some in every store on release date so as they produced a lot of them before Lion was released with snow leopard installed it would not be possible to legally sell those as New Mac's , as to get Lion on those they would need to open the box to format the hdd and install Lion or even open the iMac to swap the harddrive for one with Lion on ..and once that box is opened they cant sell them legally as new, so Apple would make a loss and Apple does not make losses on purpose and if they do someone has to cough up the money and that the customer in the end

when snow leopard was released it was the same some Mac's came still with Leopard, and a free snow leopard disc
    when Leopard was released it was exact the same some came still with Tiger and a free leopard disc
    and when tiger was released ....
    and when panther was released .....
    only that way you get a brandnew Mac out of a unopend box , otherwise nobody would cough up the full price knowing that New iMac was turned on before to install a new OS ,and as everytime you take a iMac out its box there is a risk of damageing it too
    ...just have a picture of hundreds of untrained warehouse workers in china in my mind opening thousands of boxes of brandnew iMac's and the mini's and the Mac pro's and the MacBooks...only to istall Lion :eek:

i would certainly not want to get one of those if i were you ;)

btw the OS does not get installed at the end of the production line its already installed on the HDD when the HDD gets fitted , at the end of the line the box gets sealed and thats how you buy the iMac

16. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Whoops, too late! Back to the nursery.

17. kiantech thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with you, however the apple seller could have said, "hey this has snow leopard on it, just go to this website for a free upgrade to lion" He did not mention anything to me.

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

OK, that is a reasonable request and assumption. Not everyone knows about the box art.

A little venting first thing gets it done so you don't kick the cat or holler at the kids. Now that you feel better everyone can move along.

Cheers,

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Do you know how long a support software for each OSX? Most of OSX softwares can still even run on Leopard 10.5! And some can even still run on Tiger. I wouldn't worry about compatibility. Especially when Snow Leopard only a generation behind Lion. Plus at the moment, Snow Leopard runs cooler than Lion on most Macs

You should feel lucky for getting Lion and Snow Leopard on one package of Mac. Any Mac after this don't get legacy restore DVD and only left with restore partition on HDD, which can be screwed more easily. And you whine about this? Oh please

20. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

I suggest taking it in and getting your money back. Get a nice Dell with Windows 7 on it. I'm sure you'll be much happier with their service policies, and with Win-7.

21. MacHamster68, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i am not surprised about that at all , some Apple staff at Apple stores (london covent garden and bluewater in my experience ) have possibly even less knowledge about Mac's then your parents,but they work for just above minimum wage and thats important today and not the knowledge about the things they sell, when i was last time at bluewater with a mate who bought a iMac 27" the 2 sales people we met did not even know what sandy bridge is or what it is for ....they maybe thought about sand castles according their facial impressions

22. turbobass macrumors 6502

Firstly, you should have just returned it instead of creating a thread crying about it. Or, you know ASKED A SALESPERSON WHICH OS YOU WERE BUYING if it meant that much to you.

Finally, you're probably better off because aside from the keyboard the fact that yours comes pre-loaded with 10.6 means that you can revert if you wanted to, whereas Lion-shipped Macs can't be rolled back...

23. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

this. ROFL!

----------

yeap Apple is just looking for the hipster type of ppl that know customers service and not so much on Apple!

24. se7endreams macrumors newbie

i think it's better it had snow leopard on it. lion sucks.

25. MacVibe macrumors regular

I think the thread starter is kicking the cat. :)

My amazon.com mac was sold with snow leopard but arrived with lion- I got cheated out of a snow leopard disk!

Cheers!