Annoying random logout in Lion!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by yalag, Aug 31, 2011.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

This one is driving me nuts. Randomly lion would log me out. I'm not sure if it's some random keyboard shortcut I'm pressing by mistake of what, but every now and then it just logs me out!! It goes back to the choose user screen. Anyone else experienced this??

2. baryon, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I'm having the same issue! I even made a thread about it but no one would reply. I just happened to me, I opened my MacBook Pro to wake it from sleep, and there was a spinning wheel (NOT the beach ball cursor, but the grey wheel you get during boot) ON my desktop, in front of all my apps. It was NOT my mouse. Then shortly after, I get a grey screen and I am at the login window. All unsaved work is lost.

This has happened to me around 6 times since I have Lion, and it's very annoying! Anyone with ideas, please help!

Here's the log for the most recent crash/logout:

Are you running any third-party software, or anything like that? What stuff runs when your system starts?

3. ph0rce macrumors 6502

This happens to me quite a lot on my macbook pro (intel core 2 duo).

It doesn't matter if i'm using Safari, iTunes, Final Cut Pro 7 or Mail.

Every so often it'll just completely hang and sign out.

Total rubbish from apple as there was no issue for me with snow leopard. Wish they'd get their act together. What load of garbage / rubbish / (I want to use an expletive but I know a load of you will complain).

You'll understand how annoying it is when you have lost half a final cut project.

Tim Cook you better sort this out.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm surprised not more people are complaining as it makes you lose all your work

5. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

So now that we have a few people with this issue, let's try to figure out what may be causing it (other than just Lion being crap).

What special drivers are you guys using? I'm using a Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet driver, but never had issues with it before Lion. There's nothing else really that runs in the background.

My logouts generally happen when I feel like I'm running out of RAM (I have 4 GB), especially in Photoshop, when it's doing something complicated and I switch to another desktop. It has already crashed twice on the desktop-switching animation. Maybe it's related to multiple desktops?

Once it happened while waking the computer. I woke it and boom, logout.

How do the logouts happen? I get a spinning grey wheel on top of my frozen desktop, it looks like this (it's not an actual screen shot but a montage I did to explain what it's like):

Brush Tool.jpg

After that, my entire screen goes grey for a few seconds, and then I'm presented with the login screen where I have to type in my password.

That's all I can say really…

6. phobox macrumors member

This has happened to me too, only once however. I get the exact same thing, the spinning grey wheel over my desktop and then bam.. back to the login screen. Very strange indeed. Could be something to do with mutliple desktops and a lot of system activity as the prev poster mentioned, I recall it happened to me under those conditions. No sure fire way to recreate it however. Its not happened since, but Im glad to see Im not the only one.

7. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Same WHEEL. I don't have any special drivers, its just a normal macbook pro with nothing plugged in. I guess it's just out of ram.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Have any of you guys installed Boom from the App Store?

I remember seeing something about that app causing spontaneous log-outs on Lion recently.

9. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

**** i have boom installed.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You can read the comments here about it: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36700/boom

Apparently 1.2 is supposed to fix that issue, but Boom generally seems to have its fair share of bugs. I'd stay away from it for the time being.

11. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Nope, I don't have Boom installed.

12. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Post the crash report. I would suggest try creating a new user and logout all other users and see if the problem happens in the new user account.

13. edalzell, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

edalzell macrumors newbie

Just happened to me on my MB Pro.

How can I help debug this?

EDIT: WindowServer crashed. Crash log attached.

Attached Files:

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah, it is a known problem with the Snow Leopard kernel and the Lion kernel. The code which switches between GPUs is buggy. My temporary solution was to the disable automatic graphics card switching in the Energy Saver preferences. This helps, but this activates the AMD GPU on my Early-2011 Quad-Core i7 17" MBP, even if i do not need it (90 percent of the time). So i looked for another solution, and found gfxCardStatus (based on a MacRumors project, IIRC). gfxCardStatus is just an application (no kernel extensions) which communicates with the kernel via userspace (vs. kernelspace) IOKit calls. I've activated the Intel HD 3000 IGP, and the sudden logouts do no longer happen.

Hope this helps you a bit. :)

15. edalzell macrumors newbie

My crash stack trace is different though:
    Code:

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0   com.apple.QuartzCore          	0x00007fff89c19320 slab_alloc + 373
    1   com.apple.QuartzCore          	0x00007fff89c1919b magazine_alloc + 332
    2   com.apple.QuartzCore          	0x00007fff89c26872 CA::Render::LayerNode::update_frame_transform() + 140
    3   com.apple.QuartzCore          	0x00007fff89c25aa8 CA::Render::Updater::prepare_layer0(CA::Render::Updater::GlobalState&, CA::Render::LayerNode*, CA::Render::Layer*, CA::Render::Updater::LocalState0&, unsigned int) + 1399
    4   com.apple.QuartzCore          	0x00007fff89c26b5f CA::Render::Updater::prepare_sublayer0(CA::Render::Updater::GlobalState&, CA::Render::Updater::LocalState0&, CA::Render::Layer*) + 120
    5   com.apple.QuartzCore          	0x00007fff89c2622d CA::Render::Updater::prepare_layer0(CA::Render::Updater::GlobalState&, CA::Render::LayerNode*, CA::Render::Layer*, CA::Render::Updater::LocalState0&, unsigned int) + 3324
    6   com.apple.QuartzCore          	0x00007fff89c1b488 CA::Render::Update::add_context(CA::Render::Context*, CA::Render::Layer*, CA::Transform const*) + 1172
    7   com.apple.CoreGraphics        	0x00007fff93521289 CGXBeginSurfaceLayerUpdate + 554
    8   com.apple.CoreGraphics        	0x00007fff93520fa6 _CGXPrepareCoreAnimationUpdateState + 301
    9   com.apple.CoreGraphics        	0x00007fff9345efbe CGXUpdateDisplay + 873
    10  com.apple.CoreGraphics        	0x00007fff93457cbd _CGXRunTimerPass + 439
    11  com.apple.CoreGraphics        	0x00007fff9346a10d CGXRunOneServicesPass + 161
    12  com.apple.CoreGraphics        	0x00007fff93473a0f CGXServerLoop + 165
    13  com.apple.CoreGraphics        	0x00007fff93940ada CGXServer + 1069
    14  WindowServer                  	0x0000000107f99f31 main + 9
    15  WindowServer                  	0x0000000107f99f20 start + 52

Not sure if this is the same issue.

16. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Likely.

The kernel communicates with non-kernel code and processes (such as the WindowServer). And AFAIK only the kernel communicates directly with the WindowServer. So the only source for corrupt/wrong data, is the kernel (or one of the loaded kernel extensions). I doubt that it has something to do with ATI/NVIDIA kernel extensions, because it happens on many different hardware configurations and hardware generations (which need hardware specific graphics card drivers).

17. n8236 macrumors 65816

I have Boom (the volume adjuster app) installed, so I don't know if it's the same app you guys are talking about. At any rate, since my installation of Lion or Boom, this started happening, though with less frequency now.

At first, I thought I may have hit the logout key sequence, but now i know it's not me. It's extremely devastating if you are working on something because you lose your work. Someone REALLY needs to fix this.

18. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

My MacBook Pro doesn't have the ability to switch between graphics cards without logging out, so that won't be the issue. My discreet graphics card is fried (factory defect) by the way, but I never ever switch to it so it's impossible for the system to make any use of it.

19. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Some applications, like Apple Aperture and QuickTime Player X can switch between the graphics cards, even if your model does not support automatic switching. gfxCardStatus uses the same mechanism.

20. robshort macrumors newbie

THANK you. Seriously. I have been trying to track down this problem for over a YEAR. If you're ever in Gainesville, let me know–drinks are on me.

21. n8236 macrumors 65816

Ok, I've vented about this issue before and it still hasn't been fixed. This started happening w/ Lion and never w/ SL.

I need to vent again because right when I was confirming payment for a flight, it logged me out. I had to call the carrier and my CC company to make sure it did/didn't go thru. Ugh. WTF! They gotta fix this.

22. brah, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

brah macrumors newbie

I am also having this exact same issue... usually when i am doing something intensive with a lot of windows open.

I am also using 10.7.2 anyone got any ideas?

never happened in snow leopard.

23. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes: You should read the thread!

24. blow45 macrumors 68000

I have with both lion and sl, so irritating, I think, I am quite sure that is that this is hardware related. I am finally sending my air for service

25. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

So there is no way to prevent that from happening? As my discreet card is faulty, it should NEVER be used by my system since it causes very serious issues. I have disabled it but if OS X just randomly decides to use it regardless, what can I do?