Anodize Your iPhone (or iPad)?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PTVMan, Dec 4, 2012.

1. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

2. S.L. macrumors regular

S.L.

Someone provide links to skins or thin cases that would essentially produce the same effect. ;)

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

4. Gray bishop macrumors regular

+1

5. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

You can buy skins that will do the exact same thing. Why would you pay $250 for that.

Go check out Sticker boy. They have extreme fit for side skins and you can get skins for just the middle part of the back. Waste of money this is. What happens when you drop your phone?

6. Radiating, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

Radiating macrumors 65816

FYI this does not void your warranty in the US, even though the manufacturer FAQ says it does. If your camera or screen breaks or any functional component malfunctions Apple still has to replace it by law even if you modified. The only exceptions are of the modifications make it is prohibitively expensive to warranty or they can prove the modification is responsible for the damage.

Unfortunately you will just get a normal replacement under warranty and will have to pay for the anodizing again so it will probably be cheaper to repair the phone out of pocket.

The law was designed because a few decades ago manufacturers would force consumers to buy "authorized" accessories at hugely marked up prices or their warranties would be void.

----------

Anodizing provides a metallic finish which nothing except anodizing can replicate and then the phone is etched with the original logos. Stickers look like stickers. This looks much better. There's a huge difference.

7. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

looks awesome! But I wouldn't spend that kind of money. Like others have said, wraps will achieve the same look at a fraction of the price. Not to mention you can swap them whenever you want a color change.

8. bloodninj4 macrumors member

The same thing that happens when you drop any phone.

I think this is very cool. But I agree about the pricing. Once anodizing becomes available on a larger scale and the pricing drops this could be very useful. You could use your phone without any casing then to refresh your phone you could get it anodized.

9. Davewithak macrumors regular

Looks awesome and I would love blue with my white iPhone, but I can't see paying more to change the color than I did for the phone. Still awesome though. Maybe some other companies will start doing this and the price will go down.

10. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Yes a $250 difference to have 1/3 of your phone have a different color.

And then when you get sick of it you can't change it back to the original state.

Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and of course if people want to pay the price of the actual phone itself to get a different color, to each their own, but I don't see why people don't just buy stickers. You can mix and match and peel them off when you get bored of them.

11. bloodninj4 macrumors member

why get your car repainted when you can cover the whole thing in massive stickers... I suppose anodizing adds another option to customizing

12. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

First of all, this whole anodize program is not to repaint your iPhone because it was scratched up and damaged, causing the phone to chip off. Yeah you can do that but the program is designed for people to want to simple change the color of their iPhone. You can buy stickers for the iPhone and you can barely tell that it's there. The only way you would think it's a sticker is because of the simple fact that you know iPhone's don't come in different colors besides black and white.

Doing this will have the same effect. People will assume it's a sticker until they actually see the iPhone up close.

What a weak argument comparing this to having your car repainted.

I'm not bashing at people who want to do this. What you do with your money is your own thing. I was simply stating a ten times cheaper option that has more options and gives you the same effect.

Just look at the picture below. The only way you would be able to tell if it's a sticker or not was if you saw it up close.

Attached Files:

13. Radiating macrumors 65816

When you put a colored sticker on your phone no matter how good the cut, it will look like a cheap peice of junk and look worse than the original in most cases. Vinyil has a very distinct cheap appearance that looks like vinyl.

Anodizing something does not in any way look like a sticker, it's a lustrous brilliant finish with a lot of depth to it. On top of that it looks like a factory product, except everyone will know it's not a factory product so a ton of craftsmanship had to be put into getting the result, and this will be amazing to people.

Seriously your post is the equivalent of saying "why buy the hope diamond for $50,000,000 when you can have one made of chrome plastic and construction paper for $0.05? That's a savings of 1 billion to 1, and you can even get a red hope diamond. You're missing the point.

You might also liken your viewpoint to the person that doesn't see the difference between vinyl tiles painted to look like stone, that everyone can tell are a cheap peice of junk, and real granite.

14. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

I'm not bashing people who do this and it's pointless to compare this to another situation as the list can go on forever. I personally just view this as overpriced and having more cons than pro. Yes, you get the whole realistic factory look but when you end up denting it, dropping it, etc you're stuck with it until you decide to cash out another $250 to have it redone.

Like I said, whatever people decide to do with their money is their thing.

15. bloodninj4 macrumors member

no one is disagreeing with you
    I would like know how you reached the conclusion of what I bolded

http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/04/anostyle-adds-new-anodized-colors-to-your-iphone-5-or-ipad-mini/

if the above quote is correct then it is a clearly much different process then just adding stickers to your phone.

16. Radiating macrumors 65816

You can put ghost armor protective film on anything anodized and it and it will maintain it's luster. It doesn't work so well on darker anodizing but bright colors like these would maintain their look almost identically.

17. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

For another $30. Like I said I just view this whole thing as having more cons than pros. Having a sticker will essentially act as a protective film as well, seeing as it covers over the surface of the actual phone.

It does look nice however.

18. Gray bishop, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

Gray bishop macrumors regular

some people will pay to have their phone look uniquely different
    I do agree about the pricing though, I'm currently looking for local anodizing places here in NYC that might do the same thing for alot less....

19. Partridge macrumors 6502

It's not the actual anodizing that's the expensive part.

They have to disassemble the phone down to the bare aluminum, strip the existing anodizing off without removing too much metal, reanodize it, color it, seal it, and then reassemble the whole thing and still have a phone that is A: working and B: cosmetically acceptable.

Remember that this phone is considered to be the most challenging phone FoxConn has ever manufactured, and now you want to have it completely taken apart and put back together again.

The cost comes from labor, and the fact that they have to essentially self insure themselves for the inevitable phones that get damaged in the process and for customers who nitpick the results. Especially the second point, because you KNOW that people who shell out $250 to change the color of their phone are going to be expecting PERFECTION at the other end.

Look at how much Colorware charges for work, and they're painting the electronics.

20. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

21. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Either the blue or the teal is calling to me just so loudly, but my wallet is telling my brain to shut up. Hahaha :) Maybe after my warranty is up.

22. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

What a missed opportunity, Apple. These look incredible! I would love to have a red iPhone, but even their other colors are enticing to me.

23. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I feel like if they treated the iPhone 5 just like the iPod Touch.. literally every color they put out would sell. I remember watching the keynote and being incredibly impressed with the anodized color options for the iPod Touch and wishing there would be a blue iPhone 5 in the same blue the iPod Touch had.. and now welp! It can be had. :eek:

24. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Same here! I think they wanted the markets to be kept separate, though. iPod touches for kids, iPhones for teens and adults, and teenagers being that transitional area.

I love the contrast the colors have with the stock black and white glass! It's bold, but not gaudy. There isn't a single color combination on there that I dislike.

That price is too high though. The ipad mini costs only a little more than the process to anodize it.

I wonder if that ghost armor actually works.

25. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Yeah the prices are a shame but I do agree its a more than fair price for something like this. It makes sense to keep the market segmented though.. I'm sure they get more profits in the long run anywho. I just can't get over how good the anodized white ones look.. Particularly the red and blue ones. So stunning. I already paid $600 for my phone so almost half the cost of it to color it seems silly. Maybe if I had all the money in the world :)