Another 38 or 42 thread, but I need help!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Zillan, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Zillan macrumors member

Hey guys

Ive been to a German Apple Store yesterday and took some pictures of my arm and the apple Watch.

The white one and the SS link are the 38 versions.
    The space grey sport is the 42.

Wrist size: 155mm

What is, in your opinion, the right choise for me?
    38 or 42mm?

Thanks for any advice!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

38. I personally think the 42 looks terrible on your wrist. Way way way too big.

3. Phima256 macrumors regular

38mm all the way. Fits you perfectly.

Also, the SS Link looks sharp on you. But I know that's a huge bump in price.

4. tylerdw89 macrumors 6502

Same size wrists here. I went with the 42mm. I suppose technically the 38mm is more in line with our wrist size, but I like the larger screen. As long as it doesn't hang over the sides of your wrists I think you're good.

5. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

Go with the 38. You should be able to see some of them band wrapping over the top of your wrist instead of letting it go straight down. I tried both and going with the 38.

6. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If it is not immediately obvious to you that one is too big or too small, I think that is a sign that either size will work, and it's up to your personal preference which one you pick. If you can't decide, just toss a coin. :D

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

10. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Yea i think the 38 is good. The 42 looks really silly on you. It's comically large. like clown shoes

11. bacATapple macrumors regular

In the picture where you have both watches on the 42 looks rather large, but some of it is an optical illusion I think. The 42 watch's band is on very loose and the white 38 band is fastened tight. When I see the picture of the two watches separately I actually like the 42 better if you don't pay attention to how loose the band is. The 38 looks very small.

12. Zillan thread starter macrumors member

That is a great comment and indeed the 42's band was very loose (due to the fact that it was a large band on its miminum size/hole).

All other replies, thanks a lot for the comment! I appreciate it!

13. franzkfk macrumors regular

franzkfk

14. mama2twoboys macrumors newbie

mama2twoboys

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Another vote for 38. It fits perfectly and is proportional to your arm and wrist.

While I have no problem with 'large' watches, outsize watches are something else again, and resemble nothing so much as a small kid trying on his father's massive wrist watch.

16. dandrewk macrumors 6502

My wrist size is nearly identical to yours, but what is more important is the width of your wrist, measured form the outer points of where you intend to wear the watch. My width is about 50mm.

I ordered both watches, but after trying them on (and soliciting advice from the images), I'm going with the 38mm. While have a slightly larger screen is attractive, I want it to look nice. Equally important, it has to FEEL nice, since I intend to wear it a lot. A smaller watch is bound to be more comfortable.

The larger watch with the larger band that we tried on tend to exaggerate the oversized look, but not that much. The 38 looks better on you, as with me.

P.S. For further validation in the selection, look at the guided tours on the Apple Watch site. Lots of closeups of watch-on-wrist, and you can see they avoid the "too large" look of some 42mm watch-on-wrist images we see here.

----------

Oh, here are my images if the two:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

it's kinda weird because I feel like your wrist is probably about the same size as mine, but when I tried the 42mm I knew it was the perfect size for me. I tried the 38mm and I thought it was way too small!

Now that I'm looking at the picture I took, it does looks a bit big, but in person it looked perfect and I asked different people around me and they all thought the 38mm was way too small for me. How did the 42mm feel like in person for you?. You should probably go do another try-on and bring someone with you who can see it from a different perspective.

here is a link to my picture, I don't know why it won't let me post it here.

http://postimg.org/image/avogv0js7/

18. trek360 macrumors 6502

Another 38mm vote. I would only recommend 42mm if you value screen size over fit.

19. dandrewk macrumors 6502

From looking at your image, it seems your wrist is considerably larger than the OP's. The only way to know is to measure circumference and width.

20. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I'd say usability should trump looks and go with the 42.

21. Zillan thread starter macrumors member

Same here, 50mm width where i intend to wear the watch. 150mm circumference. You are making some good points here. I'm also concerned that the 42mm watch will look weird because it has to bend immediately from the starting point of the band.

What I'm also worried about is the flesh-touching size for good measuring results of the sensors.

22. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I just checked and my wrist is about 184mm. it's funny tho cuz looking at my wrist I can't think of someone with a wrist smaller than mine! from my perspective it looks so small.

23. Zillan thread starter macrumors member

Well my gf was with me and she said the 38 looked like the perfect size for me but the 42 was not too big either. I think i'm having a kind of wrist where you can go both sizes. The Apple employee said 38 was the best pick for me but i could feel that he didn't want to make the final decision :)

24. whatos macrumors 6502a

I agree. For some reason many Apple customers are so busy admiring whatever they are about to buy they overlook the fact that it's to be used. Even a 42 size is going to seem quite small when actually using it.

Think about it, do you ever scrutinize other people's watch for size? I sure don't.