Another 4S Battery Drain thread...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheSacredSoul, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

... But I've tried most of the supposed fixes. Resetting Network settings, disabling auto-time. Disabling Siri. Disabling Ping. Brightness at 50%, auto brightness off. Bluetooth off. Only 3G on.

After 6hrs and 30mins of moderate usage, I am at 14%. Was down to 90% from 100% within the first hour. What I did in those 6 odd hours,

- 2 to 3 phone call, not exceeding 1 min each
    - Light Safari surfing
    - Moderate Whatsapping
    - Moderate texts
    - About 5 pictures
    - Recored a 20 sec long video.

I removed some LaunchDaemons from my 4S using a tool from Cydia. It did a backup before deleting each daemon but I think I only have the draining issue after deleting the daemons though I thought deleting launch daemons was supposed to help with battery.

Currently waiting for it to completely die so I can refresh the cycle. I really want to avoid restoring and setting up as a new phone. Any more suggestions I could try? On a 4S with 5.0.1 and Jailbroken.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

No need to get hostile on me... I think there is a legitimate issue, that's why I posted a new thread. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

4. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

that sounds normal.

dual cores take more power.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

6. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is my last resort. Want to exhaust all other possible solutions first. And if I did restore as a new phone, all my messages and whatsapp texts will be gone?

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

yep

might be able to save texts by copying file sms.db from var/mobile/sms/, then restoring as new, jb-ing, and then restoring the file. You can try to copy the whatsapp user data folder, keep in mind when you restore it youll prob have to fix permissions using ifile (read write execute)

8. pilotgeg macrumors newbie

Do you have PUSH email enabled? That is the single biggest problem I've had with my battery. Recently, I used the SBSettings tweak to turn PUSH off when my phone is disconnected from power and then turned on when it IS connected to power. My battery life has improved dramatically using this tweak.

Or, you can just turn PUSH off and have it fetch every hour. That will do the same thing.

9. mi3x macrumors member

6 and half hours it's about normal. That's why I also get. There is no battery drain, that's the normal usage time.
    What would you expect? 8, 9 hours? Not gonna happen unless you use it as a phone only.

10. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I also average 6-6.5 hours of usage. Even with restoring as new..

You didn't say what your standby time is.

The next thing to try is draining the battery (till the phone sits off), the charging it completely up.. I'd do this a few consecutive times just in case.

Other then that, check your email pushing/fetching times.

Your usage time is around the average of iP4S users on 5.0.1. Just have to make due till iP5 comes out, or revert to an iP4 on 4.x.x software..

11. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice guys. My mail is switched off firstly. So I am sure its not Mail. I also discovered icloud was activated just for calenders though I have never used it. Disabled that too. Just finished recharging for the first cycle. Will do it one more time tonight and see how it goes. Thanks again!

12. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to add on, seems like the recalibration was the trick.

Usage : 27 Mins
    Standby 1 Hour, 54 Mins.
    Battery just fell to 99%.

Will do another recalibration tonight just to be on the safe side.

EDIT : Seems I spoke too soon, fell to 98% within 2 minutes.

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

Thats pretty damn good.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's the best advice right there.
    Restored from backup on a normal day by 2PM my phone is down to 50%.
    Setup as new by 2-3PM same amount of normal usage 82% left now.
    Big difference IMO.
    It shouldnt be your last resort but the first.

15. mantic macrumors 6502a

I would experience speratic instances of my battery depleting very fast. I narrowed the cause down to the speed of my 3G connection. I confirmed the correlation doing speed tests on each day for a month. Somedays my download speed would get into the .99kbs or less range, and it is on these days that i could literally wach my battery percentage drop in the span of only a few minutes.

I'm speculating that the slow speed of the connection keeps the phone actively attempting to download things like email, message, etc. for an extended period of time. Where as, with a faster connection, the same amount of data would be downloaded in only a few short seconds.

Whatever the reason, in my case, it seems to be correlated with the speed of my 3g connection.. as the outcomes were consistant and repeatable.

16. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

17. brollikk macrumors newbie

1) It's HIGHLY possible you live in an area with just weak reception. No matter what you do, in areas like this your phone will drain quicker.

2) Your location services... Are they on? You never mentioned this. In addition to this, did you turn off Auto-time zone, Diagnostics & usage, traffic, and location-based iads?

3) Your stand-by and usage time. Post exactly what they were.

4) Wi-fi... was it on or off?

5) You mentioned cydia. What other things did you add from cydia? There definitely are certain tweaks that can cause more battery drain.

18. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

1) I live on an island. Singapore to be precise. Reception is pretty good really.

2) All system services are off for location services and only a few apps are switched on for it.

3) I posted my current standby and usage time on the previous pic. Note that is is right after recalibration.

4) When I had the drain, wifi was off. Just 3G. The pic I posted on the previous post, it was today at home. Wifi was on.

5) Winterboard. Zephyr. Zeppelin. Gridlock. Activator. AdBlocker. Barrel. ClockHide. ColorKeyboard. CustomNCBackground. Cydelete. Direct Closer Pro. f.lux. Fake Operator. Folder Icons. FolderEnchancer. GridTab for Safari. Iconoslam. Icon Renamer. KillBackground. Lorem. ManualCorrect. PasswordPilot. StayOpened. UpdateHider.

19. brollikk macrumors newbie

Dude look at how many cydia apps you have installed.

Winterboard. Zephyr. Zeppelin. Gridlock. Activator. AdBlocker. Barrel. ClockHide. ColorKeyboard. CustomNCBackground. Cydelete. Direct Closer Pro. f.lux. Fake Operator. Folder Icons. FolderEnchancer. GridTab for Safari. Iconoslam. Icon Renamer. KillBackground. Lorem. ManualCorrect. PasswordPilot. StayOpened. UpdateHider.

I just bolded what I personally would suspect may be causing SOME battery drain. But your set up is FAR from a stock iphone 4s... It is almost hilarious that you would mention all that stuff about your phone before mentioning all the cydia stuff.

20. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

What's your theme for the signal bars?

21. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I don't understand why people are so attached to their backups. I always restore and set up as a new phone as a jailbreaker.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Incredible you complain about battery life with all this stuff (I bet you even have more) running 24/7 :rolleyes:

23. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

This might come in handy for some who like to setup new phones when restoring.

Starting with setting up a new phone, I create a basic setup (no apps) with all my info (wifi pw, email, address book, settings, etc). I then sync my phone with iTunes so that copy can be backed up. Once syncing is complete, I go into ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and move—not copy-- the backup to a separate folder I create titled ‘Basic Backup.’ Once I’m done with my ‘basic backup,’ I move-on to creating a ‘full backup.’

The full back up consists of essential apps (apps that no matter what are always on my phone) along with the ‘basic setup’ I created earlier.

I begin by deleting the ‘backup’ that was created from the previous sync from ~ /Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup--reason for this is so iTunes can create a whole new backup folder in Mobilesync/Backup.

Once I finish setting up the phone with all essentials, I sync it to iTunes. Once the iTunes is done backing up the phone, I copy the backup that was created in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup to a separate folder that I create titled ‘Full Backup.’

By doing this, it eliminates setting up a new phone every time; I just delete the backup that was created in MobileSync/Backup and copy one of my backup into this folder and that’s it! New phone set up every time.

Edit: Before beginning this process, delete all current backup copies from ~ /Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

24. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Well there are texts, camera roll, and contacts i want to keep....as I imagine most people are...unless there is an easy way to save those and import them on a new phone

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can transfer contacts and the camera roll pics back.
    Not texts though.