Another "Apple CS is starting to suck!" Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calviin, Oct 24, 2011.

1. calviin macrumors regular

I ordered the 32 GB white iPhone 4S. But once I found out that 25 min of 1080P video takes up 4 GB of space, I decided to exchange it for a 64 GB one. I called the Apple store in Brea, CA and asked if I could exchange it. They said yes and I could come in that day since they had it in stock and would hold it for me. NOPE! I don't know if the guy lied or something but they either didn't hold it for me or they didn't have it to begin with.

I called the store at 3rd St. Promenade and they too said they could swap it out. When I got there, they said they had it. But this time, when I got there, they said they couldn't do it! WTF? What's going on?

Today, I called Apple and asked what I can do. They said since I ordered it on apple.com, I would have to ship it back and then they would send me a new one. But they said it takes a week just to ship it back. That would mean at least two weeks without a phone. Seriously? Why can't they just send me one and if I don't return one, bill me full price for both?

Even if I don't get a 64 GB one, I want to exchange it since there's a gap between the plastic and glass. Apple QC and CS are really starting to get on my nerves... This same thing happened when I tried to order my MBP. :mad: What should I do now?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

yes return it and buy in store ...saves time!

4. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I just find it really disappointing that someone, anyone, didn't recognize that you were purchasing a product that you didn't actually want and set you straight before you went through all the trouble of ordering it.

5. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

first world problems....:rolleyes:
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this, isn't it the truth though?

6. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

1) Call Apple.com to return it.

2) Call your provider to move up your eligibility discount, stating that you just returned your phone to Apple for a defect and plan on purchasing one in-store. If you've got an account in good-standing, they will usually do this for you.

3) Check your eligibility online, make sure it says $399 for the 64GB before you leave for the Apple Store.

4) Go to the Apple Store and pick up a new 64GB!

7. juswest macrumors regular

Title suggests maybe you were disrespected or were given no suitable resolutions.

8. Pravius macrumors regular

lmao, far from flamed.

9. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I think it might be due to the huge influx of new customers they're getting due to iPhone 4S on Sprint and Verizon. They're selling way many more products than Apple Retail can keep pace. I'm sure they'll add more staff, and more retail stores to help alleviate the situation.

Either way, don't worry. Just wait until November or so, when the 4S feeding frenzy is starting to go down, and you can get some nice service. Although, with Christmas shopping around the corner, it might not be as optimum as it can be until end of January.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

11. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm honestly not trying to troll or anything. It's the fact that they said they would have one for me and weren't able to deliver. If it was once, fine, but the fact that this happened not just twice for this iPhone but also for my MBP pisses me off. I got the 32 because I have a 32 ipad and it was enough. If I had known that how high the bit rate is (and no complaints there), I would've gotten the 64 gb. No one knew exactly how much space video would take up.

12. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I know you're frustrated, and they shouldn't have told you that they could swap it for you, but I think it was a mistake on their part. When you asked to exchange it at the Apple Store, did you tell them that you had ordered it from the online store? If you have a warranty repair that needs to be done, the Apple Store is the best place to go. If you want to do an exchange because you ordered the wrong item, etc. then you have to go through the online store if that's where you ordered it.

Did you specifically ask if they could send you another one at full price and then credit you when you send the first one back? If they said no, my guess is that it has to do with the phone company and activation. That can make things very complicated.

Good luck getting things sorted out.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

+10:rolleyes:

----------

It is not hard to figure out that the 8mp camera will create some monster files. YOU just made a mistake:mad:

15. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Did you tell them what carried you were on? If not then that is on you.

And apple CS has 90% approval. I guess that means you fall in that 10%

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

Since when is an Apple product bought online, not returnable at the store?

Is this a carrier issue with IMEI or something?

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You can take it to the store if you have a warranty issue. If you want an exchange or return because you're not happy with it for some other reason, you usually have to go through the point of purchase, in this case the online store. It's the same way with Macs, not just phones. Although, it sounds like that might be changing in the near future. http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/24/apple-retail-stores-to-offer-in-store-pickup-of-online-orders/

18. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Why not? This place is filled with useless threads. "What should I buy, I dropped my phone, I farted, I called someone today, If an iPhone was made in purple would you buy one, ect.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

We did know how much space videos required on the iPhone4 (720p). As the other poster pointed out a safe assumption for the 4S is "more". ;) If you don't manage to swap it, 3.5 hours of HD video on a phone ain't bad!

I tried to get an Apple store to hold an iPad 2 for me but was told "no" by three different stores. It's interesting that you found one that said they would. I suppose next time get a name (if you didn't) and hunt them down.

20. djuzi05 macrumors regular

Another "Apple customers are turning into whiny babies" thread

21. samcraig macrumors P6

This is my favorite part!

22. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

I had the exact same post about a week ago and got no sympathy either. So i can see your problem, but I also see the general point. We screwed up and then expected Apple to help fix it. Which in the past they would have, but it seems now that they are less likely to be as helpful. I generally feel that the mass market appeal of the iPhone has created less educated customers which has created lots of non-issues that they bring to the Apple store ("only one speaker works on my iPhone!") and has decreased Apple's tolerance. Either way, I'm in the same boat as you and still trying to figure out what to do.

I don't blame them for not taking it back, I DO blame them for telling me that they would and then I drove an hour, waited in line, and then drove back. That's poor management on that particular Apple store manager though, not Apple as a whole.

23. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

You would think people get paid by Apple to defend them at all costs, it doesn't matter what was said, how you were treated, to the apple fanboy the customer is always wrong, at fault, and should apologize immediately. :rolleyes:

Anyway, to the OP.....ALWAYS get a name. When a rep says they could do something, know who they are and hold them to it, and if you waste the gas to go only to find out they can't, ask very specifically for the reason why you were told one thing and they do something different. Sometimes you might not like the answer they give, but at least you would know for the future.

Good luck.

24. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

If they outright said "No." I would've stopped right there and enjoyed my phone and just manage more carefully. But considering the fact this is my first iPhone, I really had no idea what even the iPhone 4 sizes were that large. My complaint is the lack of communication between Apple's phone service and Apple's store service. I doubt you would enjoy driving an hour there and back for a promise that can't be kept. I'm not trying to defend myself but to explain myself more clearly. Yes it's my fault I didn't get the 64 in the first place and yes, it's my fault for not doing research. But no, it's not my fault for being misled and having wasted time and money based on information I was given by Apple.