Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Time for some new blood at Apple. Good luck and good bye, Jony and your minions. Apple will be just fine, despite the internet's commentariat, who have been predicting your imminent demise for three decades now. The same people who were trashing Ive and his team when they were with Apple are now mourning their exit. <YAWN>
This person didn’t work for Jony Ive. He was part of hardware engineering. My guess is this guy did quite well at Apple and is just looking to do something new/different. The way Bloomberg reports on this is kinda ridiculous. People come and go from companies all the time. Unless it’s someone in the c-suite it really shouldn’t be news. But Bloomberg knows anything with Apple in the headlines will generate clicks so…

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s definitely going to be a humanoid robot to compete with Boston Dynamics and Tesla.
I don’t think that OpenAI has been doing anything with robotics. That’s a whole different field and expertise.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
If this person was at all responsible for the flat sides we have on recent iPhones then I say good riddance.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Holy Smokes! Another day, another tech person leaves a large Silicon Valley company to join another tech company. Along with many dozens of others in the Bay Area that employs around 400K tech workers.

Shocked! Totally. Definitely an event to get frothed up about.

Clutch your pearls, Apple is doomed. Again, and again, and again.

Last edited:

blodyholy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Iowa
I'm not sure I would pay for this service. It's a pretty steep price, even for some great color options. But I do appreciate MR giveaways

View attachment 2313728

That’s a really good question. The way I see it, from reading some of Ives' interviews, Lovefrom is about ideas and looking at how people interact with them. It doesn’t have to be a specific hardware product, even though thats what Ive did at Apple.

I found this an interesting read. He talks more about the process of ideas rather than any product or design.Ive brings the company to the table rather than design POV.

Edit: amd I stand corrected. See Klasmas post below.

Thank you both for responding; interesting read. Although, an AI-centric phone seems a bit niche. Sort of like those ‘gamer’ or crypto devices. 🤷

Edit: Apologies to ronntaylor; I didn’t mean to include you in my reply.

Reactions: steve09090

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Genuine question: what product of significance has LoveFrom created?
Ive isn't running a standard design company and doesn't appear to have any requirements to market himself, which isn't really a surprise.
But he has been doing some consulting with AirBNB.

From what I have read he only does projects he is passionate about - like this....

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
This person didn’t work for Jony Ive. He was part of hardware engineering. My guess is this guy did quite well at Apple and is just looking to do something new/different. The way Bloomberg reports on this is kinda ridiculous. People come and go from companies all the time. Unless it’s someone in the c-suite it really shouldn’t be news. But Bloomberg knows anything with Apple in the headlines will generate clicks so…
haha - in my experience most of the time a bunch of narcissistic game players are the C suite..... with the odd amazing individual who makes the difference.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I have a Pentax K-01, which was designed by Marc Newson. It’s a polarizing industrial design that one either really loves or really despises, no in between. I personally find it unique and gorgeous in design. Wonder if Marc will apply his same style to these products

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Jony Ive started at Apple in 1992. It took the strong personality in Steve Jobs to bring out the creative best in him. How much of that did he lose when Jobs died? Does this team have a figure that pushes back and stretches them?

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Jony Ive started at Apple in 1992. It took the strong personality in Steve Jobs to bring out the creative best in him. How much of that did he lose when Jobs died? Does this team have a figure that pushes back and stretches them?
No a lot of what Apple was like back then was not what Ive was expecting and by that, it had been a concentration on profits and making stuff as cheaply as possible with no regard of quality. There were hints of Ive's genius before Jobs came back such as the eMate, the Mac AIO (which was like a giant precursor to the original iMac), and the over-engineered visually interesting 20th Anniversary Mac.

Ive felt because operations began to have more of a role, and Ive himself was getting more of a management role, something he didn't much care for, that he had done all he could for Apple and had little to contribute. Apple is completely fine though so I wouldn't worry to much about it, it will just lose a little of the magic.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
The New York Times is suing OpenAi for copyright infringement
This will be the story many will follow closely. OpenAi may be in for a world of hurt. And that will be true in many nations, as OA could find itself fighting lawsuits around the world.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Announcement video is coming along nicely ...

1703719790574.png

1703719726527.png

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Don't care don't give a f for Jony Ive who ruined Aqua UI.

All I want to know is how many reporting to Scott Forstall still remains

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
There is room to reinvent the capabilities of smart phone in a non phone form factor from an AI first perspective.

The way to think about it is if everyone had access to a flawless personal assistant at their call 24/7, what would be the best technology to interact with it.

The device needs to:
  • Provide visual, audio, and location data to the AI
  • Process the requests both locally and in the cloud
  • Provide visual and auditory feedback back to the user
Smart phones can handle this, but not necessarily ideal. A device that relied less on manual interaction by the user probably makes more sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.