Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Who wouldn't want to continue working for Jony Ive. He's a legend.
He’s not a legend. It’s relatively easy to make a sleek looking thin device that looks sexy. The innovation and talent comes in being able to achieve that in a device that is also functional to use. He very often missed the mark and chose form over function making the product a less powerful piece of tech than it could have been for the sake of aesthetics. He was not the right person for tech products. But his reputation somehow superseded the reality of his skill set. It’s a case of emperors new clothes.

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
I hope the new AI hardware will be as think as 'Always ultra thin', so I can put it in my underpants and use it hands free :D

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
There is room to reinvent the capabilities of smart phone in a non phone form factor from an AI first perspective.

The way to think about it is if everyone had access to a flawless personal assistant at their call 24/7, what would be the best technology to interact with it.

The device needs to:
  • Provide visual, audio, and location data to the AI
  • Process the requests both locally and in the cloud
  • Provide visual and auditory feedback back to the user
Smart phones can handle this, but not necessarily ideal. A device that relied less on manual interaction by the user probably makes more sense.

Ok the first device trying the above.

I think the Rabbit is the next palm pilot and not the next iPhone, but the rationale about why the current system is broken in an AI world is valid. It probably will require a new player as it would be to dangerous to the existing smart phone players.

Pretty certain Ive could design a better device, or more likely a family of devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.