Another data over usage question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MiniD3, Dec 30, 2013.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Reading through past threads, there does appear to be an increase in "unknown data use
    For the first time ever, I have exceeded my data limit, to such an extent, I had my provider turn off my data option

The strange thing is my phone is used primarily for phone use and very seldom use it for email and never search the net with it now I have an iPad

is there anyway someone else can hack my phone for data use?
    ....Gary

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What are the data amounts you see per transfer? What time of day are the data transfers happening? Does the data usage follow a predetermined pattern or is it just random [every so hours]?

Do you have any apps that you allowed to run in the background? Which apps do you normally use? Is iTunes/App Store auto-update enabled?

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi,

I haven't been able to access the actual type yet as the service providers site where I can view my account is down,
    data appears to be mid afternoon,
    I don't allow auto updates for the apps and only update them when I am home and then use wifi from my home modem
    main apps are,
    Weather, tides and calculator,
    grandkids do have a couple of games there

Will be glad when I can get more detail viewing the account

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Games can be a source of data consumption (especially if they have an online element). Games like Candy Crush, Clash of Clans... et al require a internet connection. So there can significant data drain through those.

Weather apps do check in the background and do use data, but not enough to cause your excess data consumption.

To check per app data usage go to Settings > Cellular. Then scroll down until you see the list of apps that have used cellular data recently. Each app will be listed along with the usage it has taken.

The higher the MB amount, the more data the app has consumed.

5. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Cant find that list on my iPhone but did find that automatic downloads was actually on, thought I had turned it off?