Another deadly shooting? Trigger happy security guards?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WillEH, Apr 21, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

To see video, click link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ting-Florida-Internet-Cafe-Caught-Camera.html

Shot in the back while running away, security guard protecting or too much force? For you to decide.

** I Mroogle'd it.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You know you are in a bad neighbourhood if you have an armed guard in an internet cafe.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The article does not say that the robber was running away. Being shot in the back does not equal running away. I don't have much sympathy for the robber.

4. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Watch the video, looks like he was running away to me. :( - Not saying it's right or wrong, just from what I saw, I thought he was running away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OjzSf0-AZg&feature=player_embedded

5. rhett7660, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I don't know. From the looks of the video. Suspect one is shooting and running outside and ends up on the driver side/back seat area of the get away vehicle.

Suspect two is also shooting and gets hit as he is going out the door, but he is still shooting or at the minimum fires a round or two (can't tell in the video, or he may have just pointed his gun at the guard, which still means the guard can/should fire at him). He is the one you see fall to the ground after he has been shot while in the store.

Then the suspect that is near the driver side/back seat area opens fire on the location.

I think it is a good shooting. To bad for the bad guy.

6. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Give him a medal and remedial marksmanship training. He should have killed both of them.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It's not so much marksmanship training he needs. Rather how to stay calm under fire. There are many police shootouts were both the suspect and officer are just a few feet from each other with neither scoring a hit after many rounds fired. Odds are in a shootout if you take a second to aim you will likely win. While a normal reaction is to shoot while ducking, dodging, etc as the guard did.

Given that he is working in a neighborhood that requires an armed security guard in an internet cafe. Then he should consider taking one of those Israeli Counter Terrorism Training courses. He should also invest in some body armor.:rolleyes:

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unnecessary, perhaps, but live by the sword, die by the sword.

He sought cover, and no patrons were hit.

I think he did quite well.

10. ender land macrumors 6502a

I have no sympathy for the armed robber. Absolutely none.

You charge into a store trying to rob it (with guns) and get shot.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This statement

adds significant context. It's very possible this was no ordinary robbery.

We can't draw too many conclusions without more information, but from the video I would say the guard was well within his rights to fire at the fleeing robbers, because they placed him in immediate and mortal danger by covering him with their weapons even while running away. With both sides armed a firefight was inevitable.

I can't tell from the video who fires the first audible shot, but the second (the fatal hit to the second robber) is obviously from the guard. A classic smash and grab gone wrong - the criminals were disorganized to begin with, and panicked once the guard drew his weapon (the unharmed criminal could easily have shot the guard after the tussle over the bag but chose to flee instead).

A terrible incident, fortunately nobody else was hurt.

12. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Armed security guard....just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Luckily the two suspects look like they weren't 100% committed to robbing that business. If they were I think more than more person would have died.

The security guard is justified in shooting them seeing as they committed first degree armed robbery. Glad nobody was hurt. One less scum bag to worry about.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The Armed Security Guard is armed for a reason ... to shoot armed thugs like these

as stated above ... die by the sword

14. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

+1

The robbers made a choice, in their case a bad one.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Here is my take: Whatever you do in life, it has its risks. Going into a place masked and with guns in your hands means you take the risk of getting arrested and sentenced for armed robbery (that would be the best outcome if everything goes exactly as it should), you take the risk of injuring or killing people and then being arrested and sentenced for murder (unless your guns where fake or not loaded), you take the risk of being shot and injured and possibly killed by someone acting in self defence, and you also take the risk of being shot and injured or killed by someone who oversteps the mark of self defense in the heat of the moment, or who actually intentionally shoots at you as a punishment.

Not even in the last case, where someone intentionally broke the law to shoot you, would you have my sympathy. If any damage happens to you, and that damage was a predictable outcome of your attempt at committing armed robbery, then in my opinion all the damage is entirely your fault.

16. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

What scares me is these "security guards" have a 2-5 hour class and are then given a company shirt, flash light, baton and told to go forth and protect society. They do not have the training needed to be effective.

I know a guy who is a prime example of this. He worked as a security guard at a McDonalds. I am really surprised nobody shot him or beat him up. He thought his crap didn't stink and harassed a lot of people.

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

They have Armed Security guards at McD's where you live in Missouri?

18. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Not here where I live but down the road they do apparently. St. Robert Missouri.

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

:eek: ... I live in a city with 5 million people and it has it's fair share of unsavoury neighbourhoods ... however we have no armed guards in our fast food joints.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

No sympathy for the bad guy.

The robbers obviously had no issues with using their weapons to cause bodily harm.

Luckily the innocent customers were spared being robbed and/or hurt thanks to the "trigger happy" security guard.

The robber being hit in the back may have prevented 2 or 3 more round being squeezed off which could have hit an innocent person.

The thus make some deliberate/calculated decisions. For them there were some miscalculations as well.

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Some followup to the story: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/crime/os-internet-cafe-apopka-shooting-murd20110422,0,7471124.story

The scene cuts obfuscate the true circumstances of the incident. I'd have preferred seeing the inside and outside footage in their entirety.

While one can debate ad nauseum differences in gun laws between countries, and you can make fun of the rent a cop, this occurred in the U.S., and the guy was doing his job. 2 armed robbers came in, security guard drew his gun, one guy hightailed out quickly, the other not so quickly and was firing. Robber number two gets hit and later dies from his wounds.

Occupational hazard.

P.S. Nice sensational thread title. You could work for Fox News.

22. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Yes...I know. It's beyond ridiculous. St. Robert and Waynesville are right next to each other and just outside of Fort Wood. St. Robert is a little less classy. Cheap hotels, stripper joint. Having a military base next door doesn't help much sometimes its hard to know rather it's a 50 cent concert complex or a military complex. Can't stand the place one bit.

23. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    No sympathy whatsoever. People make choices and have to live with the consequences.

Looks like an armed guard was exactly what that store needed.

24. Abstract, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't like the idea of guns, or armed guards, but if you're going to have armed guards in the US, it's probably justified that a guard shoot robbers when they come in and start shooting.

Trigger happy guard? No way. The robbers lost my sympathy when they started shooting amongst innocent people.