Another decision...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Videomanmac, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

I have been looking at the 15" MacBook Pro with the dGPU for quite a while now. However, I have been thinking with macOS Sierra, would I be better off going with the non dGPU version and getting a file sharing service like Dropbox or iCloud Drive? The non dGPU comes with 256GB instead of 512GB, so storage space would be a concern for me.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If you don't need the dGPU, you can order the integrated 15" with a 512 GB drive. Though the upgrade price is pretty horrendous. Really hope they increase the base storage with the next release.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For what it's worth, you can add up to 256GB of extra storage with Transcend JetDrive, which is practically seamless. It's not as fast as the internal SSD, but for media files it's plenty fast and much cheaper than Apple's upgrades.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What tasks are you doing that have you questioning the need for the dGPU?

At the moment, dropbox keeps your files on your computer(s) and the cloud, so that won't work if you're wanting to save space on your SSD. They announced a new feature that basically has a short cut on your drive that points to the cloud. That's not rolled out. iCloud is a more traditional cloud storage, where you can store data - depending on what you're looking to do, and how large your files are (and how slow your internet is), this may be a feasible solution

5. Videomanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

At my high school, we had the 15" Model with dGPU, and I was maxing it out at times as I do live streaming to the internet, and also the occasional iMovie. Whether if I will be doing those tasks in college, I am not sure, I will be for sure running Windows in a VM, as well as web development. I am a CyberSecurity Major.

6. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

As an owner of the infamous 2011 MBP, I recommended to stay away from any machine with dgpu from Apple.
    I spent 1700€ for a machine which i'm afraid to use it with an external monitor and force it 24/7 to use the Intel graphics.

7. grahamperrin, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

No problem here with a 17" early 2009 MacBookPro5,2.

Forgive my ignorance, does that use an SDXC card slot? I ask because in 2015 I took advice and decided against that approach. YMMV.

8. SoundsEclectic macrumors newbie

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member