MacBook Pro 2012 still relevant?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hunterheath33, Nov 15, 2014.

1. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

I currently have a base model MacBook Air from 2010. It stutters quite a bit. I want to purchase a new Mac but don't really like how expensive the retina MBPs are because they aren't user upgradable. The bestbuy Black Friday ad shows they are selling the 2012 cMBP for $899. Is this a good deal? I will probably upgrade the ram and then maybe to an SSD next year if I purchase it. I mostly need it for browsing and papers. Thanks!

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

For browsing and papers your 2010 mba should not stutter.
    Don't expect the 2012 cmbp to perform better for those activities.
    I would evaluate what is wrong with your mba and go from there.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Where do you see this deal for $899? I can't seem to find it.

4. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

It's on best buys website. Click on their Black Friday ad

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

I wholeheartedly agree.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My opinion only, but that looks to be a decent price on the "regular" MacBook Pro.

I have a 2010 MBPro and it's still doing fine. Even "better than new" after an SSD upgrade...

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

IIRC the base model 2010 MBA had 2GB RAM.

Depending on your OS, that's a bit lean, and being a MBA it isn't upgradable.

This will mean that your memory pressure will be greater on Mavericks and Yosemite than than a 2012 spec cMBP which has 4GB (as do the current MBAs).

If you want some speed, and have purchased it in the past, try Mountain Lion.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

There are a lot of assumptions involved. A base 2010 mba is certainly capable to run word processing and a browser with no hiccups whatsoever. I guess the OP hasn't even looked at the activity monitor or istat.

9. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

I have. It was using a lot of swap memory too. The biggest issue with Yosemite is that my safari tabs constantly reloaded. And I had around 5 open. The main reason I was interested in a cMBP is because of the larger screen, SuperDrive, and the fact that it can be upgraded by myself

10. srshaw macrumors 6502

I have an early 2011 mbp and have zero interest in the new models. The lack of hard drive capacity is a deal breaker. I really wish apple would produce a laptop with a proper hard drive. I really don't want to have an external hd stuck to my computer.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Is the memory pressure green? Mavericks and Yosemite always swap.
    Safari tabs never reload by themselves. Sounds like a software issue to me.

12. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

Sometimes. Occasionally in the red

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Just from safari and browsing? That's unusual, but it means you need more ram.

14. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately I can't upgrade anything with my MacBook Air. It also has a paltry 64gb SSD, which really restricts what I can use it for. Do you have any recommendations on a computer (Mac or PC) that would suffice for my needs with a larger hard drive and at a reasonable price? I would love for it to last me 2-3 years and then I will buy a high end Mac when I get more money. Thanks!

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

Any macbook in the current lineup will work just fine.
    The cmbp has a slow, but user servicable hdd and older gpu.
    The cmbp is still a very good laptop especially if you need the ports and superdrive.

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

That's a great machine - go for it.

You should also get a mover's coupon from your local post office - it will take another 10% off.

17. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Software

Given the likelihood of a problem with software (not necessarily Apple software), I shouldn't rush towards more memory or a replacement computer … let me dig out a couple of memory-related screenshots …

18. meson macrumors regular

It's a great machine still, especially for those with budget constraints, and the need for connectivity and the superdrive. After a ram bump and upgrade to an SSD, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

19. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Memory pressure graphs

I found only one of the shots. Here's the text that originally went with it:

This one shot alone, exemplary of (a) above, is probably not unusual. The other examples were unusual enough for me to have said, don't assume that more memory is appropriate when red – alone – is mentioned.

Attached Files:

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

In this case install istat. It will tell you how many % of your memory are really used.

21. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

iStat Menus

Thanks – I made great use of iStat Menus in the past. Over a long period I concluded that it was too problematic for me. YMMV; my environment was/is unusual. The last version that I tested was 4.22.

iStat Menus 5 is available. Maybe less problematic, but I no longer need such utilities so I'm not in a rush to test it.

22. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you are waiting for an "upgradeable" MBP - that boat has likely sailed out of the Apple ecosystem - with probably only the MacPro being anything close to "upgradeable" within the next couple of years. Windows makers do offer some refuge now for upgradeability, but they will also trend towards where Apple is already.

23. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Like Meister said, you shouldn't see THAT much lag. I would not buy the cMBP from 2012 in 2014. The rMBP is thinner, lighter, has an SSD, faster RAM, faster graphics, and much better screen. It isn't upgradable, but neither was your MBA. Just get good specs upfront and you should be happy.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

For his use there should be no lag at all.

25. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

New MacBookPro9,2

After much thought … I'll almost certainly avoid the newest MacBook Pro. For me the solid state-only storage and Retina display will be a waste of money.

Instead: http://web.archive.org/web/20140816155501/http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/specs/ and value for money :)

Incidentally, what's the 'c'?

Getting better than the HDD alone

I wondered about putting something very fast in the SDXC card slot. Then, a nice chat in irc://chat.freenode.net/#zfs with reference to various web pages, including these on Amazon:
    – and an Apple Support article, About the SD and SDXC card slot with attention to point 4, 'What is the maximum speed that my computer can use when reading and writing to an SD card in the SD card slot?'. Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Ultra_High_Speed_.28UHS.29_bus

From the chat in IRC I learnt that I'll probably not get what I want from anything in the SDXC card slot.

Instead I'm considering a mobile SSD, maybe the Maplin Phison 128GB USB 3.0 External SSD Drive for £79.99.