Another iMac fan control thread :/

Discussion in 'iMac' started by argais00, Jan 3, 2012.

1. argais00 macrumors newbie

I've read the posts here in the forums and none seen to answer this question so I will go and repost/edit what I have asked in a dead thread :)

I have an iMac 27" Mid 2010 (2.8 i5 Quad), I replaced my failing HDD (smart failing, system lockups, etc), with a new one and been trying fan control software after fan control software and so far nothing worked.

I am runnning lion (10.7.2) and I've downloaded iMac fan control and applied the patch mentioned at another thread here in the forums where the OP patched the software for 64 bits and s.m.a.r.t. temperature reading.

I saw on most peoples screenshots that their desired speed is set to the one they selected, but on mine this is what I get.
    [​IMG]
    Basically, I cant control the fan speed for just the HDD fan :/
    Any ideas on what to do?
    If I tell the fan to go faster it just works, but if i tone it down, no deal :(

Help please? I am going nuts with the noise this is making now :( And I don't know what else to do :(

Look at the HDD fan desired speed, its not what I set at all :( not to mention the speed it is running at :/

Edit: Link for original dead thread, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1156571

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You have to disable the HDD temperature sensor. I simply shorted mine with a bit of wire but there are different sensors in different iMacs.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Have you tried restarting the machine after adjusting the settings? Have you tried smcFanControl? I've had smc running on my 2006 iMac for years now and it's been great since it tends to overheat easily.

4. argais00 thread starter macrumors newbie

@blueroom so if i short the sensor the software will be able to control de fan? 100% sure? :D

@MarkMS ya i've restarted the computer, reset the smc, tried smcfancontrol and everything else you can find with mac fan control on google :D

5. HabSonic macrumors regular

I agree with blueroom, I'm pretty sure the problem is the HDD temperature sensor. You can't set your fan below Apple's default RPM for a specific temperature and when the HDD temperature sensor is not working properly, it makes the fan run at high RPM to protect the computer.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I put an SSD in a 2009 iMac, the Seagate 1TB it replaced had a two wire cable going to a 4 pin connector. A simple link of wire was all it took as it seems the HDD sensor is resistive or diode in nature. My iMac is very quiet.

7. argais00 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so how do i go about shortening the wire? any wire on that plug will do? or do i have to cut the plug off?