Another Iphone Killer fails - Samsung Galaxy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrFillster, Aug 27, 2010.

1. DrFillster macrumors member

Thought I'd write this for those of us considering jumping ship. After the iphone 4 proximity sensor fiasco, I thought I'd try out the Samsung Captivate.

Pros:
    Beautiful phone - Wallpaper is exquisite
    Integrates with Google nicely
    Voice commands are awesome "Navigate to ..."

Cons:
    Can't use active wallpapers - battery life is dreadful!
    Can't read calendars AT ALL - especially if you use exchange. There is a garrish black on dark purple background that you CANNOT customize
    Android marketplace is pretty much non-navigable

Much more but have to run.

Phil

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Another thread fail.

Thanks for sharing, most knew this would happen before it was even released :D

Cant wait for one of those "Cool story, bro!" pictures

3. GunBlazerX macrumors member

What? I don't really see how it is a thread fail lol

4. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Who called in the iPhone killer, besides insecure fanboys?

Think of it this way, how many phones has the iPhone killed? None.

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

The Galaxy S hasn't failed, it's a damn good phone.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's a wonderful phone.

Now I'm not saying it's BETTER than an iPhone4, and I'm not saying iPhone4 is better neither. All I'm saying is they're both great phones, and it comes down to which OS you prefer.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Because the thread title does not match the content. "I don't like my Samsung Captivate" does not equal "Another iPhone Killer fails". I was suspecting something more concrete besides one person's opinion. Remember, opinions are like azzholes...

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Who deemed the Galaxy phone an iPhone killer?
    Who deems any device another device's killer? Is there a government body? Agency?

The whole thing is ridiculous. Every industry has multiple players. And that's good for all.

The idea that every phone WANTS to replace the iPhone as the phone of choice is also silly.

Not every phone/manufacturer is looking to "defeat" the iPhone. They are looking to make the best phone they can and sell as many as they can.

All silly nonsense provoked by people too insecure with their own devices and have to beat down anything that they see as a potential thread.

On the playground - they're known as bullies. On a forum - they just come across as loudmouths who like to feel important.

9. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

This thread is fresh out of the BULL'S AZZ!

Your cons are completely wrong!

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

11. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

am i the only one who never thought this was even close to a iphone killer?

"layers on the sarcasm pretty thick"

12. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Could be because no one has called this phone an "iPhone Killer", nor has it failed.

13. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

The only way to get decent Exchange support on Android is to install TouchDown from Nitrodesk.

14. DrFillster thread starter macrumors member

Wow, you guys are tough today. It's a forum I.e. Full of opinions. You guys dontcseem to mind expressing yours:D

I'll have to try out the touchdown app. Thanks for the heads-up

And sorry but Ive had both phones and it pales in comparison. I'm not sure where you've been hiding but every manufacturer would love to have the success that apple has had in the last few years. Their maker cap is one of the highest in the world.

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I adore my iPhone, but even I know that the Galaxy S(especially the Epic), is an awesome device. The Sprint version(Epic) is only let down(IMO) by the Samsung proprietary UI skin. Stock FroYo would have a lot better.
    The other variants don't offer much in hardware aesthetic terms.

16. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

This thread is ridiculous. Total fail. I own both a Captivate and an iPhone 4 and they are both amazing devices. I use live wallpapers and my battery life is great.

OP, pack it up.

17. JadedBen macrumors regular

The Galaxy S is a fantastic phone, a guy at work has one. It's fast, awesome screen, easy to use, does various things i wish my i4 could do (without jailbreaking), nice design, etc. I'd have one.

Would i sell my iPhone4 for one? Of course not! Does this mean it's failed? Of course not!

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

the title is kind of misleading after the simple comparison is read....

When I read fail I expect to see actual numbers of the device sold (Droid was successful when you are thinking sales for example) and more than the 3 simple pro/cons stated... I haven't read any news that stated that samsung wanted this phone to kill iphone sales... How much time/days did you actually use it to see if the battery was really being consumed by the wallpaper? nothing about call quality? internet browser? apps that work similar/better/worse than in the iphone? did you have flash 10.1 installed and how was it? price of the device and plan dif. in $ compared? If you are gonna put only your opinion and call it 'Fail' in the title then you have to explain in more detail...

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

I got to play around with some phones today at my nearest AT&T Store and thought the Samsung Captivate was the best of the three I played with.

The SE Xperia X10 was the one phone that disappointed the most. This is the one I anticipated since last year when it was still code named Rachael. It is $349.99 without contract, but it just felt bleh. Even if it gets the upgrade to 2.1, everybody already moved onto Froyo and Gingerbread. It just felt like a mediocre phone with mediocre responsiveness. The BB Torch needs a refinement in their multi-touch. Very bad at pinch to zoom a picture. Nice form-factor, but the OS still seems it is in beta mode. The Captivate felt the slickest and most responsive of them all. Still not as smooth as the iPhone, but very close to it. Very nice screen. Samsung is my least fav of the three manufacturers, but they had the best iPhone alternative over there.

20. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

The SE X10 is pretty bad. Some nice visuals but it's still on Android 1.6. Seriously Sony? That old?

21. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

If you don't like TouchWiz, then you can put the stock back on. Thankfully they didn't lock it down.

I love my Epic. My only problem is the Marketplace. If you know what you are looking for and search for it, then you can usually find what you want. It's still annoying though...

22. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I think that they're done making 'iPhone killers'
    I think that people think of everything the wrong way. Think, in the beginning, what made the iPhone SO successful. The fact that it was completely different from everything else that was out at that time. So for any company to truly kill the iPhone, they're gonna need to think of something NEW to make, something NO ONE has done yet, until then, they're all just failing at copying each other and it's not gonna go anywhere.

23. Perihelion macrumors regular

I gave serious thought to getting the Galaxy S Vibrant before I got my ip4. I was coming from another android phone so the move to the Galaxy would have been a reasonable upgrade. The clincher was when I was lent an ip4 for 24 hours. I was sold that same night, the experience is smooth and integrated and everything just "works" better than Android. Android competes well in some specific features but its not nearly as integrated an experience IMO.

24. h0ttballer macrumors member

I own an IP4 and have used the galaxy s phone couple times because a friend of mine owns one.. It is obviously not a fail phone. The Galaxy S is in my opinion, the best android device in the market right now. It is all about OS preference.

25. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

Android is way more intergrated.