Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSpeakApple

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
Fake Look how badly the cardboard is Cut Out.

All i have to say is WOW look how badly the cardboard was cut out Did they use scissors or something Nice try.....

zengod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Seems strange to change design this much within a year - The Nano was an ideal size and my daughter loves hers - this looks too big to be classified a Nano - Quite tempted to by up stocks of 8Gb Nanos - they will sell well on ebay once this monsters released.

Oh and Apple take note - The same connector running through the iPod series is one of your best marketing tags but some idiot at Apple is messing this up. Take the missing 12 volt power connector on the iPhone 3G which has stopped me from using my Volkswagen kit. Car manufacturers have just started standardising the iPod connector as an option but if you change it they will just give up and it will be Apple loss.

The Palm Pilots had the same problem when they went to the Palm V and then changed the adapter again on the next release. Where are Palm now eh ?

Jobs should locate the idiot who agreed to changing the adapter and frog march him out of the office pronto....

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
...whenever I look at this design I am reminded of the Zune which I hate. If Apple goes through with this, then it will just seem like a knockoff of the Zune.

Even though the Zune design was a knockoff of the iPod Nano? And anyway, so what if it reminds one of a ZZZZune. Have you ever seen one in the wild? Me neither.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Even though the Zune design was a knockoff of the iPod Nano? And anyway, so what if it reminds one of a ZZZZune. Have you ever seen one in the wild? Me neither.
The part that reminds me of the Zune is the portion of the front of the device that the screen takes up, not the overall design. And yes, I have actually seen plenty of Zunes, half of my friends have them.

hokullani

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2006
no dock connector!!

I just can't believe this. When you look at the other pictures of the "actual" nano it is a mini usb plug in the bottom, and not the 30 pin dock connector like has been in iPods and iPhones. I just can't believe that Apple would do this. It's one thing to make the product obsolete with the older gen docks and stuff like that but to make it obsolete with absolutely every iPod/iPhone product that uses a dock connector just seems ridiculous. I think this is just an ipod knockoff that people are turning into the nano. No Dock connector! No Deal!

Godgem

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
fugly

Thos is not only uglyest ipod nano, but also uglyest ipod ever.... even 3G ipod (classic) doesnt look so fugly..

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Why would they create a case with a curved cover if the screen wasn't curved. It would produce shadows and make the screen hard to read.

Face it. It's curved and looks like a Zune with smoother corners.

Judging by all your previous posts (and your name), I'm really struggling to understand why you're on an Apple forum site. :confused:

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Steve's baby is the iPhone, he does not care if the Nano or Shuffle case design is leaked. :p;):D

There is hardly any profit left in the Shuffle and Nano, its only a means for the budget consumer to enter iTMS and a means to keep the store alive. Nothing more.

The iPod line still generates close to half of Apple's profits, and still sell in numbers far greater than the iPhone.

No profit in the Nano? Apple sells tons of Nanos at price points far higher than equivalent capacity flash players from other companies. There's still plenty of profit (and importance) in the Nano.

I miss when Apple was extremely secretive and we'd have ZERO idea what was coming next. It seems like these leaks and foul ups are happening a lot more now.

There hasn't been a major new Apple product in the last few years which HASN'T been leaked prior to Apple's acual launch. Everything from the Intel switchover to Mac Mini to the original iPod Nano was leaked...

Most people don't find out anyways, only people who frequent sites like Macrumors. Either way, all the speculation actually generates even more publicity for Apple, and the Apple special events are still widely covered when they happen. That's much more important than if some product info gets leaked before the show.

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
The design is not the issue. It's the practical aspect of it. If the screen is flat, with curved glass over it, there will be distortion of the image. THAT is the issue here, not the design.

Funplex

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Meh. I have a feeling the design will keep changing back and forth everytime they release a new version. I guess by now it's a matter of preference. I kinda like the square design because it's small and can fit safely in a pocket.

I'd have to see this new version in an apple store to get a feel for it, but it kinda looks weird. I wonder if the controls will rotate when the iPod is tipped over (performing different functions) to match up with the standard layout of play, stop, forward, back-- even when people are watching vids on it's side.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

I'm not sure why people make suck a big idea of these resemblances anyway (not the poster I'm quoting, I mean in general.) A square-shaped music player with a color screen...wow no one had ever thought of that before Apple, Microsoft, Creative, etc...

A thin rectangle is a basic shape that has certain obvious benefits. All of these companies develop numerous prototypes and decide internally which design to finally go with. Few companies end up choosing a design because it resembles a competitors' products, if anything it is a coincidental choice because most companies actually try to differentiate from the competition.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Personally, I don't really care how tall, fat, rounded, un-rounded, whatever the new iPods are...

What I am curious about is the lack of the standard 30-pin connector... :eek:

There must be a VERY good reason to change, and make all of the millions of add-ons obsolete... :confused:

Actually, there doesn't seem to be any pictures of the bottom of these Spanish cases (which I think is the only actual legitimate 3G Nano case).

They had a case out of the box in their hand, they just didn't take a photo of the bottom (unless I missed something...)

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I'm not sure why people make suck a big idea of these resemblances anyway (not the poster I'm quoting, I mean in general.) A square-shaped music player with a color screen...wow no one had ever thought of that before Apple, Microsoft, Creative, etc...

A thin rectangle is a basic shape that has certain obvious benefits. All of these companies develop numerous prototypes and decide internally which design to finally go with. Few companies end up choosing a design because it resembles a competitors' products, if anything it is a coincidental choice because most companies actually try to differentiate from the competition.
I am not complaining about the fact that they are the same general shape, just the sheer amount of similarities between the two. I understand that the Zune was a near knockoff of the original iPod nano, but this new iPod is even more of a knockoff to the Zune than the Zune was to the iPod. Is it really that hard for them to come up with something different. I would have liked to see them continue the same general design of the current iPod nano for a little longer, and improve on that. Figuring during last September's update, Jobs himself stated that the new iPod nano (3rd generation) was designed to better fit in the hand than the previous models, if this new model strongly resembles the 1st and 2nd generations, then what does that say about what Jobs said last September, and how this iPod will fit in the hand?

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
No worries

I bet you anything this is the iPod Nano Classic and Steve will introduce the iPod Nano Touch next Tuesday.

Don't you guys agree?

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Seriously, are you people seeing the same case I'm seeing??? The top edge of the case is clearly flat. If the case's front were curved (and thus, the Nano's front were curved) the top edge would be rounded, which it is not. You all need to stop complaining about how the screen is curved, because if you would just use your eyeballs, you can tell that its definitely not. The edges are the only round parts, reminiscent of the Mini.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
The part that reminds me of the Zune is the portion of the front of the device that the screen takes up, not the overall design. And yes, I have actually seen plenty of Zunes, half of my friends have them.

So it's either one of two options:

1 - half of your friends work at MS;

2 - you don't have too many friends.

Just kiddin' of course... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.