Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo points to a newly-discovered product page from case manufacturer Shenzhen Coolzone Technology displaying what appears to be a high-quality physical mockup matching up with rumors and leaked parts for the next-generation "iPhone 5".

coolzone_iphone_5_1.jpg

Case manufacturers have become increasingly sophisticated with their physical mockups created for design and testing of new cases, giving their mockups very realistic appearances that have led to uncertainty about whether they are genuine devices or not. While the device shown in the photos certainly does look realistic in many regards, the low-quality photos leave many details unclear and we indeed believe the item to be a physical mockup rather than a leaked genuine iPhone.

coolzone_iphone_5_2.jpg

Regardless, the photo provides a reasonable glimpse of what the next iPhone may look like, albeit with iOS 5 rather than the iOS 6 that the device will undoubtedly ship with later this year.

Update, August 2: Neowin has posted photos of an identical mockup, confirming that it is a "non functional replica prototype".

neowin_iphone_5_replica.jpg

Article Link: Another Likely Physical Mockup of Next iPhone Offers a Realistic Look

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
That looks like garbage...

EDIT: There's no way that's a realistic look at the next iPhone. For one thing, I expect the bezel at the top and bottom of the phone to be much thinner to accommodate a larger screen and make the phone look more slick.

And, as other people have pointed out, there's no way apple uses phillips head screws at the bottom.

Then there are the rough edges, no metal around the bezels...

Farse.

Last edited:

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
For some reason I am still not 100% sold on a longer iPhone. I would rather it stay the current size than it getting awkward long. Or at least if they want to make it bigger, they make the entire device proportionally bigger.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Love the phone number at the bottom. You can be sure nobody is going to dial that number. :D

iNickk

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2009
The screen is certainly fake in the top pic - it says the battery is charging and there's nothing plugged in.

Also, those screws look ugly.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You know it would be hella amusing if Apple punked all these case makers once again. I guess we'll find out in a month or so.

mctrees02

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I just can't understand why they don't stretch the phone to keep the same aspect ratios. Stretching it only vertically is going to make images look very strange and create an odd form factor in your hand.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Gizmodo points to a newly-discovered product page from case manufacturer Shenzhen Coolzone Technology displaying what appears to be a high-quality physical mockup matching up with rumors and leaked parts for the next-generation "iPhone 5".

Stopped reading right there. :rolleyes:

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
Philips (+) head screws on the bottom?

Somehow I doubt it. Someone made a rough mockup from internet images on the off-chance they're valid. It certainly won't be an Apple sourced test molding.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
It's slightly taller with a slightly smaller bottom connection. REVOLUTIONARY!! :p

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Is Apple trying to lose to Android on purpose?
This device needed to be extraordinary, only sounds like it's going to be extra ordinary

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
The more we see the more I don't believe it. Tim states they are doubling down on security and we see more leaked than ever before. I am 100% there new tactic is to release red herrings to keep the news busy rather than let it be all quiet as this tends to cause people to go to extreme lengths to gain any information such as steeling prototypes from staff in bars, by keeping a slow release of info going out it takes the pressure off what's really going on.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Off topic... but I feel Apple lost its spirit. It feels more like a corporation and manufacturer rather than an inspiration.

It is sad that the spirit of Steve is not around and is actually disappearing faster than what I thought. That blanket that kept us intrigued about the new invention is gone and now is about the gadget.

The good news is that there is room in this world for creating minds. Maybe Apple had its chance but for sure, the legacy Steve Job left to the corporate world is that creative ambitious people are the key.

I am waiting for the next creative mind that will change the world again, who knows in what field or what industry, but that is going to be something good to watch.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I really hope that's not what the new iPhone will look like. I want wider and longer, to make it easier to use the keyboard in landscape orientation.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I just can't understand why they don't stretch the phone to keep the same aspect ratios. Stretching it only vertically is going to make images look very strange and create an odd form factor in your hand.

Because if they do that, it would lower the PPI to below "retina" status.

----------

wow a bigger screen just to add another row of icons, how revolutionary /pointless would that be

I hope the new iPhone has more innovations than a taller screen, but making it taller offers a lot more benefits than just another row of icons.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Philips screws - fake :) Apple loves their pentalobes.

Edit: Sorry cogitodexter and ermoore beat me to it :) Didn't notice until now.

I wish they had some photos of the mockup without that cheapy case :)

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Too chunky, even on a prototype Apple would never use visible screws! a mockup maybe, but probably miles off what they have planned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.