iPad another low ram thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fabricman112, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

Attached Files:

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Just like you said in your thread title why do we need another thread. You could have just posted in one of the existing threads. This just fragments the discussion.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

My iPad 2 suffers from low mem on occasion. I've just learned to not keep to much open and a fresh reboot every week.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And what makes you think that is caused by low memory?

5. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Return it. I have five tabs open, and I don't know how many apps. My Air's log only shows two low memory logs since I bought it on launch day, and one was while streaming a video to my TV (the video stopped, so I'll assume that was the Low Memory incident), while downloading all of my apps at once. I never noticed the second incident. :confused: Maybe something is funky with the Air you bought.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Did you try that specific link on your Air? Mine crashes it immediately. I am thinking its a page rendering problem and not a memory problem. I can open tons of tabs on other websites that are just as busy if not busier. It must be some custom control on that page that doesn't like iOS Chrome or Safari.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Here's the thing: You don't have a clue how iOS works. You have as they say just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Whenever you start an app, it keeps running forever. When you switch to another app, the other app is frozen (unless it is an app that needs to continue running in the background), but it stays in memory. Then you start the next app and so on and so on. No matter how much RAM you have, eventually your iPad doesn't have enough memory. It would happen with twice the RAM as well, just with more apps.

And when there isn't enough RAM, the oldest app gets killed. You don't notice it, because (a) you haven't used it for ages, and (b) when you tap on it it just restarts. What you see is normal operation of iOS. It's designed to work that way.

----------

How do you know it "suffers from low men"? You can keep as many apps open as you want. It makes absolutely no difference. When the iPad doesn't have enough memory for all apps, it terminates the oldest one. You never notice. It still looks like it's running, and when you tap top it again, it just starts again and goes right back where you left.

8. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Less than 10 minutes after my post above Safari closed on my Air, and I had a Low Memory log. I don't know if that's a RAM issue, or a bouncing around 5 tabs issue. :confused: I flipped back to the Apple Store tab I had opened earlier, and it switched to the home screen. The Apple tab closed. I dunno.....

Attached Files:

9. Fabricman112 thread starter macrumors regular

Fabricman112

well... here are the first lines from the console when killing the only process (Safari) I can kill and then launching safari again:
    Nov 12 23:50:57 SuperMEGAultraPad medialibraryd[6704] <Warning>: {MediaLibrary} [MediaLibraryService] Cancelling any active or suspended import operations in progress for process <unknown process> (process ID = 7384)
    Nov 12 23:50:57 SuperMEGAultraPad medialibraryd[6704] <Warning>: {MediaLibrary} [MLWriter] Cleaning up any remaining transactions for ended process <unknown process> (process ID = 7384)
    Nov 12 23:51:05 SuperMEGAultraPad kernel[0] <Debug>: launchd[7420] Container: /private/var/mobile/Applications/224337E7-6A0D-4CBF-BE29-34155D7EBE01 (sandbox)
    Nov 12 23:51:23 SuperMEGAultraPad MobileSafari[7420] <Warning>: Received memory warning.
    Nov 12 23:51:24 SuperMEGAultraPad MobileSafari[7420] <Warning>: Received memory warning.
    Nov 12 23:51:24 SuperMEGAultraPad MobileSafari[7420] <Warning>: Received memory warning.

after that every idle job gets jettisoned so if that doesnt show insufficent ram I dont know

10. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

I cant even have 2 safari tabs open of decent webpages.
    If i switch back on my air it reloads.
    It has not enough ram. Period.
    I love the speed and the overall tablet but if they dont increase ram next time im not upgrading. And im not kidding, this is the first time ive said this.
    And im a iphone/ipad user since start.

11. irDigital0l Guest

If only what you said was true...

wouldn't need to upgrade my iPad 1.

12. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

iOS 7 combined with 64 bit tends to do this :( at least it isn't the device itself!

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're always going to have a low memory problem, even if Apple puts 8GB of ram into the device. RAM is a finite and limited resource, that coupled with how some default iOS apps are set to only use a certain amount causes logs like that to show up. It isn't a problem at all, the software is all working correctly.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Agree with this post. So true.

15. double329 macrumors 6502

What I don't understand is, people suggests exchange for new one if you suffer from the low memory. You are exchanged for the same device with the same amount of RAM. How will that make thing better or get rid of issue if that is really a low RAM issue?

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think the point was that many people dont have the issue, so his must be defective. There may be a little bit of sarcasm in those comments... ;)

17. redman042 macrumors 68020

My understanding is the logs are deceiving. Even in light use, low memory entries will show up just due to the normal house cleaning going on behind the scenes.

That said, if you can't keep two tabs open, then something IS wrong (unless those are two seriously complicated websites or sites with large resolution images).

Try restarting the iPad. If that doesn't work, do a backup, restore as new, then restore from backup. There is some garbage in there somewhere that is mucking up the works. This should clean it out.

18. double329, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

double329 macrumors 6502

I am sure its site content, in this case it might be the html5 code and/or how iOS manager memory. I mentioned last week, you couldn't get more than four tabs in safari for just opening apple.com. As of today, doing the same test. I can open twenty tabs of Apple.com and safari never crash. It sounds like what ever html5 code in Apple.com is now fixed.

BTW: 24 is max safari tabs you can open.

19. FrankB1191, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Safari just closed on me again today (second time that I can remember), and a Low Memory log was.....logged. :D I had three tabs open, and was switching from Best Buy to Walmart. Safari simply closed, and I didn't loose any of the tabs when I reopened it. I dunno, but you can see my other log above.

EDIT: I had 5 tabs open just prior to Safari closing, but zapped two I wasn't using.

Attached Files:

20. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Most likely. My replacement Air has been great!

21. NeoiPad macrumors member

The same happens to me

This is UNACCEPTABLE

22. PhillyAnt macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Right now I have 7 tabs open and when I double click in my home button I counted 20 apps running in the background. I clicked on the link to the web page at the start of this thread and it opened with no problems at all. So far I have not run into any of the problems that others are complaining about on my iPad.

23. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well, once again Im pretty sure this truly an iOS 7 issue and possibly Safari itself. It is quite possible that Safari is maing bad use of RAM and some systems are affected more than others. If it was truly, positively the 1GB of RAM, guess what? Every ipad Air user would be suffering from this and it would be front page news. The Apple stores would be mobbed with returns and exchanges and who knows what else?

And if it was just RAM quantity being the problem, people would be posting issues about lots of other apps suddenly not working or whatever. But, thats not the case. The recurring theme here is Safari and Tabs. But, serious games seem to be unaffected. Streaming HD stuff, working with office like apps, photo maipulation, etc. Its all fine. Hmmm.....

I feel for the folks that are having issues but I believe that their concerns are misguided and they are pointing the finger at the RAM when its likely not the RAM. Yes, the logs say "low mem" but that still doesnt mean its the amount of RAM thats the issue here.

Hope I said that right ;)

24. Fabricman112 thread starter macrumors regular

Fabricman112

i compiled an old xcodeproject ( thx to whoever coded the original ) :) ... its an app that uses up all memory and eventually crashes...
    and it always shows about 800MB free to start, with memory warning at 560MB and crashes at around 700MB..
    and 560 MB should not cause any issues in any browser

in any case 2GB wouldnt hurt apple...

25. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I didn't see your post until a few minutes ago, and opened the link.....Crash! I also got another Low Memory notice immediately after. :confused:

Between Walmart and the 9-5 link, I'm racking up too many low memory logs. :D

P.S. I tried to open the link a second time, and it stuttered but didn't crash.

Attached Files: