Another petition for Matte 15" Pro option thread, Appl Listen Up!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackfrost123, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

The title pretty much sums it up, to me that glass thing was a horrible, horrible choice, they might have thought they could make it less reflective. Actually, forget "might", I am quite sure they got the materials ok that this was going to be less reflective and went ahead with the design. Up close though....it's horrid...it's about 3 times (roughly) more reflective to me than the previous gen glossy, it's glossier than any other pc or mac put side by side in stores, it gets impossible reflectivity from any angle...so please apple listen up:

PLEASE APPLE OFFER US A 15" MATTE OPTION, TAKE THAT GLASS AWAY, WE CAN'T HANDLE IT, WE ARE NOT ALL 15 YEAR OLDS WATCHING MOVIES ON PROS, SOME OF US WANT TO ACTUALLY DO SOME WORK. WE ARE PAYING A LOT, LOT OF MONEY FOR THIS MACHINE, LEAVE IT UP TO US TO DECIDE WHAT SCREEN WE WANT.

Since you admitted that your high, high end customers are not happy with the glossy in the 17" presentation, that means they are not happy with the 15" either. We too are not happy. So make it happen.:apple:

2. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Haha. I'm 15. But idk, matte doesn't look that great to me.

3. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry man, don't mean to diss 15 year olds or any age group, or movie watching, just wanted to put a point across. :)

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

i would struggle to do my professional work on a matte screen... simply not accurate enough.

5. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Kasten, lose the picture and then we can talk. Most professionals feel otherwise, and its been documented, apple themselves (almost) admitted it on a keynote.

6. stepheneleven macrumors member

stepheneleven

I too think that customers should be given a choice, us 17" people complained enough to get our choices back so you can try too, I would get a 15" for my girlfriend if it was available in matte.

However, prepare to get flamed by the glossy owners, looks like it already started. They need to feel like they made the right purchase by condemning the other option. Good luck, I'd love to see a matte 15".

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple admitted on THE keynote that there was no reason offering the matte option, but they were going to do so exclusively for the 17" because the people with the real money who are paying for the 17" demand it. Matte diffuses light which results in obvious inadequacies. It would be nice to see a 15" matte option but its not going to happen. Schiller admitted it himself.

8. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

They admitted on A keynote, the most recent one concering the 17" like I said and you agreed that people with real money wanted it. So you are agreeing that the people that matter demand it? The real pros. They never said a 15" wouldn't happen. Light diffusion results in obvious inadequacies, what? And glare isn't an inadequacy?

@stephen, excellent points!

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

There is only one annual keynote, its the Macworld keynote. Which Apple wont be doing ever again just incase you didn't know. And they as much as admitted a 15" matte wont ever happen. Look at it this way, about half of current 15" Unibody owners would kick up a massive fuss if they introduced a matte version, and would feel conned. Plus it would detract from people purchasing the 17" which makes Apple the most money and gives them the highest profit margins. If they do introduce a matte version 15" Apples going to make you pay extra for it anyway.

10. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

There was last years keynote, so this keynote, was A keynote amongst the others in the previous years.
    You have point about the fuss the current owners would kick and that it would be massive, but you are even more conceding to my original point of the importance, value and demand for the matte despite your negating it what with the star trek pic and all. That said, they 've done plenty of things to enervate a lot of people and still got away with it. Can you link to where they admitted it verbatim that a 15" won't happen?

11. darkus macrumors regular

Why would anyone facepalm this thread. Having more options out of Apple rather then less is always a good thing. Its completly idiotic for someone to think its better for apple to only offer the glossy version instead of both glossy and matte.

With that said, I whole heartedly hope for an official matte version from apple. I hope they will bring it. I dont want to have to resort to the techrestore option (but credit goes to them for filling the demand in the marketplace)

12. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Makes no sense you are right for people to want no options...btw thanks for the techrestore heads up, wasn't aware of that.

13. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

"ANOTHER" petition?

Why didn't you just add your name to the bottom of the other petition? Or would one, long petition have hurt the cause? Better to have many little, tiny ones?

Don't know why I'm writing here, I should have started a new petition.

14. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

hey lighten up, so I started another thread, big deal, there are 5-10 themes in this subforum anyway why not divide them up in threads and not let anyone open a new one...don't make sense.

15. chariotofFIRE macrumors member

I really think the 15'' MBP previous to this design was the best computer in the world. It was really ahead of its time. The thinless was incomparable with computers 2 - 3 years ago.

Matte screen is the best.

16. silvershorts macrumors newbie

This is one of the strangest things I've ever read. What kind of pro work are you doing, man? If it's print design a glossy screen won't help you, if it's web most end users have matte screens. If it's video, you'll have a consumer-level monitor hooked into your set-up.

And how is a glossy screen more accurate? It just reduces light hitting the screen, making the image appear darker. It doesn't do it in a calibrated way, it just darkens everything.

17. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

The irony in that is that people actually say that Glossy is inaccurate.

My design teachers said that it depend on what type of paper you use to print (glossy vs matte).

And it also depend a lot on your environmental light. If the light around you are stronger then your computer, or your office use saturated colours for decoration, you're likely to get inaccurate colours.

18. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Wow - another matte vs glossy, "I bought (-insert- matte/glossy) so I have to defend my purchase" threads/posts.

I really don't care if a certain someone thinks matte is better, or glossy is better - despite how deluded some member's claims are to back up their relevant purchase.

I do agree that Apple should have given their 'Pro' line of laptops, and the people spending their hard earned money, the choice in the first place. The arrogance of Apple to say what is right/wrong for the people who use their products to make a living is incredulous.

19. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

When will people clue into the fact it's a personal preference? Unbelievable.

Any bickering either way is just ridiculous. I hate glossy. I much prefer matte. Some people are the opposite. Although I don't agree with them, it's not my place to dictate to them they should have matte screens, and the opposite situation is true as well. Due to this, Apple reneged on a completely glossy line. I hope this carries through to the 15"...then we can get on with our damn lives without these threads filled with moronic arguing.

EDIT: I was writing at the same time as MagicWok...same idea! Wicked.

20. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

ditto... I thought the same when I opened this thread

21. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I think Apple would introduce a 15" matte screen only if 15" MBP sales went deep down.

I agree with kastenbrust: if they introduce a 15" matte screen too soon, the value of their word drops to zero.

- thistle

22. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah well its "another thread" with "moronic arguments" (yet the very people who commented read it...:rolleyes:) because apple is asking for ********s of money and not offering a simple option that right or wrong elicits strong preference differencies to a lot of people. To add insult to injury not only are they one of the few manufacturers to not allow a matte option but they add a super reflective glass layer on top that makes their former glossy screens look matte compared to that glass!!!!!

23. lordthistle macrumors 6502

:) This is incredibly true. After the Unibody MBP, I am in love with screens that I used to hate only 4 months ago...

I am very confident that MBP sales will drop eventually. In a couple of years or sooner, when matte MBP owners need to change their notebook, I think that not everyone will buy a MBP again. If we just need to attach an external screen for working happily, then many of us, the ones without narcissistic tendencies, will just buy a MB.

thistle

24. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Buy a Dell. Buy an HP. Oh wait! They have glossy screens too...

He just wants attention for himself and this is the best way he could come up with it. If he was serious about this he'd know that a unified movement is more likely to succeed than one splintered into several "petitions" with only a few signatures each. But its not really about success. Its more about bitching. I mean, I haven't seen a single one of these matte people DO anything, you know like get the screen replaced, get a matte screen cover, or just not sit directly in the sun. All these things would help, but they just want to complain.