iPad mini Another screen quality difference between rMini and Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by prism, Nov 18, 2013.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

I don't know if anyone noticed but in the display mate shootout for the rMini, it is mentioned that apple is using two distinct screen technologies: IGZO and the much older a-SI! They can apparently do this by combining a much stronger light strip with a-SI. So for the rMini buyers, it is a lottery as to what screen tech you end up getting, and the worst part is that there is probably no way to know!
    It might not matter much since everything else about the screen (gamut etc) is probably the same, but for those seeking the latest tech, this might come as a disappointment.

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

If we can't tell the difference why should it matter? We didn't have a problem with gamet levels on ipad 2's I don't see this as a real issue.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

Well the ipad 2 was the only apple tablet at the time. Now you have the mini and air side by side with obvious screen color disparities.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Do you know what gamut is? Do you know the difference between IGZO and a-SI? It doesn't sound like you do. If you do, let's hear exactly why this is bad news, without copy/pasting that it's "much older technology". If you don't know, then why are you peppering your "report" with exclamation points! and words like "worst part" and "disappointment"?

This is what people do; they read something they know nothing about, then extrapolate all kinds of doomsday lingo from it and regurgitate it back with lots of drama to other people who don't know anything about it, and pretty soon it's a 10 page thread about what a piece of crap something is, without anyone truly knowing why.

This kind of fear baiting brings macrumors down; it makes everyone here look like morons.

5. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is pure conjecture but maybe the difference has something to do with the thicker and heavier rMini compared to the gen 1 mini. Maybe this was the compromise that had to be made to accommodate both technologies?
    It reminds me of the move from the ipad 2 to the ipad 3. The unit gained weight and was thicker to accommodate a bigger battery because the retina a-SI needed stronger lighting.

6. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Is this how people use these devices? Side by side? Go compare two hd tv's side by side. When you use one on its own you don't see any differences. Does everybody like overly saturated images?

7. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

You need to taper off the kool aid, I am not going to regurgitate the display mate review that does a wonderful job explaining the differences. If you can't be bothered to read it, that's your problem but don't use it as an excuse to inject wasteful noise into this thread.
    I find it surprising that Apple uses two very different technologies on the same unit. This might not bother you and that is your prerogative but it bothers me and last time I checked, I think I have the right to express myself.

8. jabingla2810, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

You're one of those people who likes to take the fun out of everything aren't you?

"Hey, look at my new iPad mini, I absolutely love it!! :)"

"Meh, but is it one with an IGZO display?"

"Huh? I don't know what that is"

"LOL Really? You don't know?? WOW! You probably have a dud!"

"Really? Oh man, whats wrong with it? Is it bad? How do I tell??"

"It's just old tech dude, Apple suck with stuff like this, they probably screwed you"

"I was really happy with it, but now i'm not sure, maybe I have a bad one?"

"Sorry man, blame Apple not me, and don't even get me started on the limited RAM issue!!"

"RAM? What does that do?"

"Oh boy, here we go!"

Joking aside, if you can't tell the difference then why does it matter?

9. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think what he meant was that apple just released two tablets with very differing qualities: one has far more PPI, the other far higher gamut.

----------

And you must be blind as a bat unless you selectively decided to ignore the last sentence of my post.

10. ComfySlippers macrumors newbie

Why has this troll not been banned?

11. mcdj, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ah, the "kool aid" and "I can post here too!"; the famous tired cliches of choice for those trying to deflect getting called out.

I read the article. I grasped it. Either you did not, or you're only interested in fanning the flames of fear. Because as the article clearly states, the difference between the 2 technologies is power consumption, and Apple has added white LEDs to compensate. The result to the end user is seamless. This is not a cause for OMGWTFBBQ!

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

No wait, actually, I'll ask again, please tell us, what exactly it is about this difference in technologies that bothers you. What possible harm could come of it to your user experience? What if you found out by some fluke that the a-SI versions actually looked better? What if another report comes out that shows the screens are indistinguishable and have identical battery life? Will you still be "bothered"?

Just trying to shine a little rational thought on you bud. Kool aid has nothing to do with it.

12. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Utter rubbish and again maybe you don't care, but please, I beg you, I know it is challenging for you, but understand that not everyone subscribes to your POV so stop trying to convince yourself otherwise. I'm just expressing something that bothers me personally, it might not bother you and I respect that and don't get all excited about it like you seem to be.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok, even though you seem to have zero knowledge about it and can't give a single articulate reason as to why it bothers you, I'm going to go out on a blind limb of fear and join you in the crusade to warn people about this dire situation. Let's call it the BEAST WITH THE 2 SCREEN TECHNOLGIES.

I'm submitting this thread to Arn. Expect to see it on the front page tomorrow.

14. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kool Aid has everything to do with it. If you followed the thread carefully, I mention that this might explain why the rMini is thicker and heavier, to accommodate a larger battery because they are using two very different display techs. So it could be that everyone is ending up paying the price. This is of course pure conjecture, nobody really knows.

----------

Did you read the last sentence of the first post of this thread? I guess not.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It's thicker because of a bigger battery, true. But it needs a bigger battery to drive all those extra pixels and a faster chip. The thicker battery was likely engineered to drive the IGZO panel first and foremost, then the white LEDs were added to the a-SI units to keep the power consumption on par with the more efficient IGZOs, so they could advertise a consistent battery life.

Now if a month from now, people are getting vastly different battery life, then something might be up. But I doubt we will see that.

16. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Sorry to offend you.

I think if you look through my previous posts during the 5 years i've been here, you will find I am not a troll, and generally try to help others.

17. zbarvian macrumors 68010

It's thicker because the battery is massive, about 50% larger than the original. Same thing happened from iPad 2 -> iPad 3, but if you read the whole DisplayMate Shootout you'd see that power consumption from the display is nowhere near as ravenous as the iPad 3 was in comparison. The result of either technology is a device identical to the other. There's no need to be bothered by this at all, it's a pointless point of concern.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

... and off we go into ad hominem attacks, the refuge of people who can't form a cogent argument supporting their position. :rolleyes:

prism - when you want to be taken seriously, debate your point with logical arguments, not by casting aspersions against those who have a different opinion.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

My guess is that they wanted to use 100% IGZO screens but weren't getting the yields. However, if the end results are the same in terms of display appearance and battery consumption, then it doesn't really matter for end users. Even the "latest and greatest" has the same color gamut. If Apple had put out some iPad minis with 100% sRGB and some with 63% sRGB with significantly different battery lives it would be a much bigger deal.

20. cababah macrumors 68000

No, but if you are used to using a device with full sRGB and then go to a device that is 60% of that, you're going to notice it even when not side by side.

Call the Air over saturated but at least reds look red and not orange. After seeing that, I wouldn't be able to "un-see" it.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You're not going to save $100 without sacrificing something.

22. jwblue17 macrumors newbie

No chance they are using two different screen technologies.

They are completely different in terms of power consumption.

If they did use different screen technologies, the ones with IGZO would have significantly more battery life.

I can't see a company doing this. Especially Apple.

The Mini 2 is thicker and heavier than its predecessor. No way that happens with IGZO.

23. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Then why not argue and prove your point? Why call him out without offering anything of substance?

24. Szarky macrumors 6502a

How about the iPad Air will have a uniform, even white background meanwhile the Retina Mini looks like someone pissed on the bottom of your screen near the home button :p