Another should I buy iPad now thread, i.e. help me justify buying one today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rafalski24, Feb 12, 2011.

  1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

    Sep 27, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Hey guys,
    So I really want the iPad, for fun, and possibly to develop on. I know I want the iPad 2 when it comes out, but am thinking I may just buy one today. Then sell the one I buy today when the second one comes out. I will probably eat something like 100 bucks, but at least I have an iPad. What do you guys think, stupid (but should do it). Or too stupid, and shouldn't do it.
    Also another perk, if the new one is faster, it will feel even faster since I will have had a bunch of time to play with the "old" one.

    Thanks for the advice,
  2. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816


    Jan 18, 2008
    Don't, it's not worth eating $100 when the new one will be here soon enough. I sold mine in January and have been toughing it out since then, be strong! :D
  3. alust2013 macrumors 601


    Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    I'd wait. I think you'd eat more than $100 if you tried selling it after the announcement, especially if you know you will want the upgrade to begin with.
  4. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 27, 2009
    Denver, CO
    alright, I suppose you talked me down. I will wait it out. I guess I just needed to hear that from someone. All my friends, I suppose, just enjoy seeing me throw away my money (they all said "yeah man, go for it. It's just money").
  5. Piggie macrumors G3


    Feb 23, 2010
    8, 9 or 10 weeks to wait for iPad2 ?

    I'd wait without question, unless you buy one now for a very reduced price.
    Unless you really want your purchase to devalue $150 - $200 ish dollars in around 9 weeks.
  6. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    Since you plan to upgrade, then wait. I would only suggest getting it if the current model does everything you need it too, and you weren't planning on upgrading.
  7. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 16, 2010
    you'll eat more then $ it and use the hell out of it w/o thinking of upgrading
  8. ssgokou29 macrumors newbie

    Jan 20, 2011
    i was one the same boat with you and caved, a couple weeks ago...i'm satisified with my purchase...with the rumors of what was coming out, it would make or break my deal for upgrading, i figured i'd upgrade to the ipad 3 when it comes out with the ipad already out, there are tons of information out there, where as with the 2 it'll be time before everyone figures out the hacks/ of luck to ya waiting, it'll def be worth it in the end when you finally pick yours up:D
  9. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

    Feb 12, 2011
    Saint louis, MO
    Refurbs aren't too bad now

    The Wifi only models are getting a good discount Refurb'ed on apples website, only 429 for the 16gb, 499 for 32 & 599 for 64. If you are planning on selling it anyway, could be a good way to go and saving money at the same time. Apple states that refurbs have brand new batteries & outer shells, and come with the same 1 year warranty....
  10. carola4700 macrumors newbie

    Jan 8, 2011
    ipad 2 in APRIL? Really?

    We're being told that IPAD 2 is launching possibly in April but could this be false and for those of us who are DYING TO BUY it already (!!), we can end up waiting longer than we thought. Do you guys feel fairly certain about this 8 week wait? And, I do wonder whether there are going to be all kinds of kinks to iron out with IPAD 2, meaning even if it does come out mid-April, we could be waiting till May till they correct glitches??
  11. MrWillie macrumors 65816


    Apr 29, 2010
    Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
    He's in the good ole US of A. It will be released here before then.

    I think it will be out before then. They are already rumored to be in production now.

    I think the OP should wait. He has lived his whole life without one so far, so a few more weeks or so won't hurt him. (My grandma lived to be 98, and she never had an iPad.) Yea, the refurb prices are tempting, but dual core CPU, different GPU, better screen, and more ram should really open things up for developers.
  12. newdeal macrumors 68020

    Oct 21, 2009

    I had one and sold it and lost probobly $200 on it. I am actually considering buying another one but I know I shouldn't. I loved the ipad but for what I use a computer for it does 95% of what I need...the other 5% is watching videos that are flash only and so if the touchpad was out right now I would buy that instead because it looked awesome
  13. carola4700 macrumors newbie

    Jan 8, 2011
    Here's an interesting link.

    This is an interesting link in terms of % possibilities of the various rumors:
    Personally, I'm just crazed having to wait another 2 months and then learning it may be months more. However, there is probably no one who really knows the answer....However, I would still like to know what people think about NOT buying the IPAD2 when it first comes out due to the usual kinks of a new product. I want to hear that it doesn't matter: just go ahead and buy the first day!
  14. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 20, 2009
    I would wait. I sold mine around a month ago to wait for the iPad 2.
  15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

    Jan 31, 2010
    Midlife, Midwest
    A couple of things:

    1) You mention you were thinking of getting an iPad "to develop on." Thats not really possible. The SDK for the iPad (and other iOS devices) runs only on Macs. I guess an iPad would come in handy as far as testing or inspiration was concerned. But, to repeat, all development of Apps for the iPad has to be done on a Mac.

    2) There is nothing written in stone that Apple HAS to bring out iPad V2 this spring. It might come out by the end of the summer. And secondly, I'm pretty sure that at least half of the nonsense people say is going to be part of V2 isn't going to happen. Its probably going to have a camera for Facetime as well as some memory and CPU upgrades. But probably not much else.

    I think we are at least a couple of years away from the point where newly-released Apps are going to have problems running on an original iPad. In other words, Apple isn't going to move the hardware benchmarks so far that the first forty million or so iPad customers find themselves left in the cold.

    So, aside from a camera (which, IMHO, Steve Jobs left out of the original for very valid reasons) it is extremely unlikely that iPad V2 is going to be able to do much of anything that iPad v1 can do. It might do some things slightly better (some web pages take a fraction of a second to load) - but again, the overall experience on iPad v1.0 is pretty good - bordering on amazing. How much better than amazing do you want?

    Its possible that Apple may offer some discounts on version 1.0 units once version 2.0 starts shipping. But I wouldn't plan on "fire sale" pricing. Apple never does that - not with refurbished units. Not with anything.
  16. Sydde macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2009
  17. erwinrommel20 macrumors newbie

    Apr 10, 2010
    If you need to justify your purchase, I think you should save your money. Buyers remorse is just around the corner.
  18. carola4700 macrumors newbie

    Jan 8, 2011
    ipad 2 THINNER and LIGHTER

    I agree with Vdrew that there may not be a whole lot of changes especially for those of us who don't need the tiny extra speed or power....but I think
    THINNER AND LIGHTER is a big deal and isn't that what they always do on new versions- try to make it lighter? So, if only, if only....i knew that it wouldn't be thinner or lighter to the point of actually NOTICING,......i wouldn't bother waiting the 2,3,4,5,6 months
  19. thesmoth macrumors 6502

    Oct 7, 2008
    Do NOT buy one before the update.

    I just got one a few days ago (borrowing from a friend) and i'll explain why you should wait.

    1) It is quite slow and stuttery. Viewing PDF files with iBooks, goodreader, or papers, when switching pages and zooming in/out, you get a lot of lag, stuttering, and checkering of the screen. In a lot of games when starting them up and using the menus, there is little bits of lag and stuttering. Even when using the main menu's/settings, there is stuttering/lag. It feels slower than my android phone.

    The games in general run really well, no complaint there, but it feels like they are really pushing the hardware to the max. Infinity blade looks amazing on the iPad, but it won't get any better than that, and even then it stutters sometimes.

    Having the PDF files load and transition smoothly with no lag, stutters, and checkering would make the experience much more fluid and seamless, and simulate better the feeling of reading actual paper and not a screen. As it is now it's not that great. I think the second generation with faster hardware and more ram is REALLY going to make a difference in the user experience over the iPad 1, even for the stuff that is already out. After using the iPad for a week (and not just in stores) it's very obvious that this was an experiment by apple, and now that it has been massively successful you can bet the iPad 2 will really take the experience to where it should be.

    The iPad 1 is already lacking in ram/speed to just do simple mundane things in a smooth and seamless manner, and so imagine in 6-12 months how you'll feel when all of the new apps run poorly (the current ones generally run very well, but as I said they are a bit laggy sometimes).

    I had this huge feeling of gadget lust because the iPad is to 'cool', but trust me as soon as you get it that feeling wears off and you're left with the reality of your purchase. You are left with the fact that you need to use it for the limited functions it can perform, and that is it. It is only an app launching platform, and is only as good as the apps, and for the iPad 1 it is lacking in ram and speed to be able to give you an optimal experience for this. Also as people have mentioned, the iPad is a tad on the heavy and big side. Even a little bit lighter and smaller I think would make a big difference in the long term, and make it more comfortable to use.

    Many people may disagree, but they are wrong and deluding themselves. It's easy for me to be honest because I didn't sink any money into this device and I don't need to justify my purchase to help me sleep at night. It's an AWESOME device, with some really great fun apps, but it is lacking in what it should be. The iPad 2 will really be great, because even the same stuff the iPad 1 can do is pretty great, it just needs to be faster, smoother, and have more ram for caching things and not checkering the screen.
  20. jeans94621 macrumors regular


    Jul 10, 2010
    Maybe there is something wrong with your friends iPad because I bought mine three weeks ago and even after jail breaking it I don't have those problems. My apps open up just like on my phone. There is no stutter. There is no delay. I have fake clock on it but I didn't notice those problems before I did.
  21. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 7, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Buy it now imo.

    Sure the announcement will most likely be soon but then it will be a few more months before you will get it. You really want to wait at least 4+ more months? I wouldn't! :)
  22. MrWillie macrumors 65816


    Apr 29, 2010
    Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court

    Are you sure your friend doesn't have a Galaxy Tab ???
  23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Oct 14, 2010
    IMO ... waiting is the way to go right now ... I think iPad2 will be released soon :cool:
  24. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 27, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Thanks everybody. I am definitely gonna wait it out. Really appreciate all the advice.
    Think I may just have to upgrade to 8GB of RAM to hold over my "gadget lust"!

Share This Page