Another stolen iPhone recovered with Find My iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Oct 31, 2011.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/luqu4/my_iphone_was_stolen_and_i_got_it_back_with/

:D

2. mavis, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S (64GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Every time I read stories like this, it makes me stop and appreciate how nice it is to live in a country where things like this just don't happen that much.

Edit: Three negatives because we all should live in countries where petty larceny is a way of life? :rolleyes:

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

When I read storries like this I call.... well let's say sometimes the way they describe the "police" helping them just doesn't pass the smell test sometimes. Unless some police in some areas don't have to follow the law or due process. I'm sure the story the OP linked to is 100% ture..... :rolleyes:

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Good that the person got their phone back, but that was completely their fault.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Your police must be special.

All we have here is a union providing police services and few services at that. They would no more help someone find a stolen phone than pass up a donut house.

Our police do not respond unless someone is dead.:eek:

6. Dnix macrumors 6502

7. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Only site I could go to to read a bit of a feelgood story about a wrong being righted and watch that person get the replies you read like these. So just to summarize.....

Cops get insulted because that poster obviously had some bad experiences with cops, so ALL cops must be bad.

It's obviously the person's fault that their phone got stolen because they put it down for a second, just like a rape victim had it coming because of how she dressed? :confused:.

And of course because this is probably something that wouldn't happen in one poster's immediate surroundings, it coudn't POSSIBLY happen anywhere in their country.

I think that some people need to step out of their tiny little self absorbed boxes, open the windows and see that there is an outside world where things just happen and get handled in different ways than things would normally handled for YOU.

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

A person all wrapped up in himself makes a pretty small package

9. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

We had this happen at my job. I work in Law Enforcement and a man came up to me saying someone stole his iPhone. He had his girlfriends iPhone with him and showed me the screen of where it was in real time. We could see it moving as the guy walked down the block (this amazed me as I am new to iPhone now). Anyhow a unit went out with him, and the guy with the phone was the only one on the street, arrest was made, and iPhone recovered.

Amazing app.

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Sorry, but how did you get that from 'things like this don't happen that much'? :confused:

All I'm saying is that reading these forums makes me appreciate how nice it is to live somewhere where petty theft isn't a common thing. Stories about Find My iPhone, about Royal Mail intercepting packages, about how you'd have to be stupid not to have a passcode lock on your iPhone, etc. By comparison: I left a $400 mountain bike unlocked in front of the library by my house earlier this year because I got a new bike and thought someone might want the old one. It sat there, unlocked, for THREE MONTHS before I noticed one day that it was finally gone. Where I come from, you would be stupid to leave your bike parked pretty much anywhere for three MINUTES without locking it to something immovable. Three months sitting in front of a public library without a lock. And that's just one example (I have many) ... So, yeah. That's what I was getting at in my first post.

Oh, and it's kind of sad to me that you think a story about a phone being stolen from someone doing volunteer work is a "feelgood" story. Sure it was recovered, and Find My iPhone is great, but the fact that this even took place shouldn't make anyone feel particularly good.

11. autigerMark macrumors member

autigerMark

Good for you.

12. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Japan? They also pulled the US into war when they bombed Pearl Harbor in WWII and did an enormous amount of war crimes on the countries they invaded, including raping and torturing women and experimenting horrific medical procedures on people.

While I am not saying that's anything compared to Japan today, no one is innocent and every country (US included) has its own problems. As much as I hate to say it, losing a phone to a petty theft crime is a lot better than many other countries' situation. Your argument doesn't really make sense. You should try leaving your phone in a random restaurant or mall in Tokyo and see if you can find it again in an hour without help from a service like find-my-iphone :rolleyes:

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Funny you mention it, I actually did leave my iPhone at the gym once. It was still there when I went back for it an hour later. ;)

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

So is there anybody who doesn't have find my iPhone now?

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am afraid that this does not convince me.:cool:

16. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Question about Find My iPhone: Is it possible to use it without having iCloud active on your phone? And, if it is only possible through iCloud, do I need the separate Find My iPhone app?

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Shocker that someone named DroidRules might be a bit stuck on how the law works.

The good news is as police become more familiar with this feature they are likely to be even more encouraged to take advantage of it to right a wrong. Rarely do they get so much help in tracking down a criminal and get them red handed, so I think a lot of police will ultimately be pleased to help someone get their iphone back.

The hope is the casual thief realizes that it is not a good idea to snag an iPhone and they will end up stealing crappy droid phones only to end up dumping them in the nearest dumpster when they try to browse the web.

18. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

Android phones for years have had apps like WaveSecure, Lookout, and Mobile Defense that can do remote tracking/locking/wiping.

19. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

cant you turn off the phone even when its locked?