Another Study Shows Non-iOS Tablets Surpassing iPad in Global Market Share

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 2, 2013.

1. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Cost will be a factor....maybe not as much now, but tablets aoround $300-$400 will be the norm and iPad is just alot higher than that for the latest and greatest.

2. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

This is just like the desktop OS economics of the 80s & 90s, only Apple had a bigger headstart. But headstart or no, you don't maintain market dominance without licensing your OS.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Because some people NEED to believe that the only reason people don't buy iPads is because of price. And that the reason Android tablets could outsell the iPad has to be some "err" in the system.

4. hexor macrumors 6502

For some reason I always read how after a newer model of an android tablet comes out they all of a sudden say "boy, the last version has _blank_ problem, I'm glad they fixed it in this one".. Furthermore a lot of these android tablets are made so cheap up front that after a year you hear about other problems such as terrible battery life.. because they used a cheap battery that doesn't last long but looks good when you first buy it..

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

I was answering the statement, "Apple will not compete on price."

Since the Nexus 7 is not an Apple device, I didn't mention it. :confused:

6. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

Games, eBooks, Films, TV, etc.

Who buys a tablet just to surf the web? The screen's too small on most tablets.

7. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Meaningless data. This report shows shipments. Remember that Microsoft shipped a huge number of Surface tablets and just wrote most of them off as no-sale. Samsung did the same thing last year.

Meaningful data is sales and customer satisfaction. What are people buying and what will they rebuy when the time comes to upgrade.

Another meaningful data set is users - Apple tablets, including the iPodTouch which is really a micro-mini-tablet, get resold and passed down so that a higher percentage stay in use as opposed to other types where they get trashed.

8. WilliamG macrumors G3

Not really surprising. Apple hasn't innovated in a while. Heck, even as a huge Apple fan, I just picked up a couple of Nexus 7 2013 models, - wife and I love 'em.

Now watch the iPad mini with retina display come out in a few months. Then I'll have even more tablets! :D

9. FirstNTenderbit macrumors 6502

FirstNTenderbit

I am not sure I understand what point you're trying to make. IF you're saying everyone else shows shipped when Apple counts sales, unfortunately you are wrong. What Apple calls 'sales' or 'sold' is exactly the same thing everyone else reports as shipped.

Source? Apple's own SEC filings.

All the other meaningful data sets you mention are irrelevant to the specific topic. The study is directly addressing one thing while you are addressing totally different things. Not to say those things aren't important. They just don't relate to the topic of the post.

10. bgillander macrumors member

Actually, it is about shipments.

11. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

I was just stuck in an airport for 3 days, and 9/10 phones I saw were iphones, and probably even higher a percentage of tablets were ipads. From this data, you'd think it would be 4/10 tablets would be ipads, but that's not how it was. I wonder if I was riding the greyhound bus or something it would be different, that the only reason people choose them is cheap price.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

regardless - the point is pretty much the same. Unless you think that millions of tablets are going from Samsung/etc directly into landfill. Because there's no way all of these stores have stockrooms that can indefinitely hold all of these tablets.

----------

utter nonsense

13. FirstNTenderbit macrumors 6502

FirstNTenderbit

Your post made me laugh.:D Thanks for that. What if all of the other people had their HTC One's in their pocket because their self esteem was high enough they didn't need validation from total strangers seeing their phones? Then your observations would be rendered moot.

I am just kidding. But my supposition is equally as likely as yours.

14. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

When did Samsung that.

And a company can ship more and more items quarter after quarter and not sold a big chunk of them? Really?

Do you know where are located those secret warehouses full of smartphones and tables not sold?

15. Explicitic macrumors 6502

Most Android browsers' default user agent isn't even Android. That's the biggest reason as to why there is such low web usage stats for the OS.

16. Winfahl, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

Winfahl macrumors newbie

So at 22.6%, the "others" beat Samsung for the largest percent. By the chart, they have to be made up of manufacturers with a market share of less than 4.3% each. Sounds like a bunch of cheap generic tablets. I remember seeing a tablet for $79 as Black Friday door buster at our local home improvement store last year.

17. spicynujac macrumors regular

Well the source I'm looking at is the link in the article to the chitika survey that shows 84.3% of tablet activity as ipad, with 5.7% Amazon Fire and 4.2% Samsung. It's interesting that Amazon is #2, when it is so far behind Samsung in sales. The non-use of Samsung tablets on the web is the most shocking data in that chart.

Look, personally, I prefer iOS and this may be a really silly, superficial thing, but i just hate the way the screen jitters on Android when you flip back and forth among your icons, where ios is smooth and crisp. Android also doesn't seem as "clean" and simple to me. Then there are issues with software updates and the shorter lifespan of the product vs apple who tends to support models for much longer. And a lack of Android tablet apps. Better manufacturing quality and components used in Apple (ie battery).

That being said, I own ONE Apple product and am not tied to any brand. I regularly read the new reviews of tablets as they come out, as I did the Nexus 7. I will buy whatever I deem the better device. But look, I think ios is superior to Android. Android may have more features, but ios is just what I prefer. Kind of like how some people prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8 (like me). It's just a better OS. The Nexus 7 interested me. I read some reviews that unless you get a data plan you can't really use it as a GPS, which turned me off. It's a nice product, and I'll wait until the next ipad mini comes out before I make my decision. But as of today I'd rather have the mini than anything else. What are these tablets you say are "better than the ipad"? They are ALL cheaper than the ipad, so if there is a better one, why isn't it in first place?

18. Picka macrumors member

Web usage is irrelevant.

As an example, I recently bought an Asus Memo Tab (10") for my parents who can barely use a computer. It was mainly to view pictures and videos. At €250, it's better than an ipad (for watching videos/pictures) because it has a micro sd slot and it's about half the price. The interface was very smooth (Running 4.1) and they only needed to learn how to navigate through the Gallery app.

They will never go online with it, yet according to some people here, the tab will be gathering dust as it's not shown on web usage graphs... Android is a seriously powerful OS, and it can be configured to be as easy to use as anything out there, that's the beauty of it.

The reality is that very few people need the very best tablets for their normal uses. An iPad or a Nexus 10 is simply overkill for most people, especially when a €250 tablet can do the basics so well. That's the reason why so many people are picking Android tablets, it can do what they want at a price they can afford. Not everyone needs to have the latest and greatest to feel validated or part of some elite group.

19. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

But what about web usage?

This shows that a lot of lousy tablets are purchased that spend most of their lives sitting in drawers and closets.

20. egoistaxx9 macrumors 6502

see it like this: it's one company vs many android tablets makers. all of us know that, if apple was giving iOS to other companies to make tablets, iOS tablets would be unbeatable.

21. Gigaman macrumors regular

22. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

People do not see the service behind the iPad

Most people see the $ sign, and see an iPad is $$$ more, so go cheap.

Tablets are no linger a luxury, price competition is fierce. People buy $70 tablets simply because it IS a tablet.

If apple wants to sell for more then the average tablet, they must emphasize all the included services one gets, because on hardware alone, Apple will loose big.

23. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Apple already sells every iPad they can make.

Apple doesn't need a write-down or firesale to clear unsold inventory like other companies (RIM, Microsoft, HP)

Sure it would be nice if Apple sold more iPads... but they're doing OK

You realize they're the #1 tablet manufacturer... right?

24. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

At one time Apple was the #1 PC maker too.
    A lot of help that was.
    (Almost all PC makers ran Windows, and compared to OS, the Mac was a tiny minority. )

Also, the reason Apple sells all the iPads it makes is because they cut back on production (see some past MR reports).

The Lifestyle ads are nice but they don't tell the VALUE you get.
    Right now people look at what they get for the $, and they see some non-iPad tablets that seem to have most of the same or better features for HUNDRES of $ less then iPad.

It's The 90's Mac Sys 7 vs Windows all over again, but his time there is no Jobs to change the world again.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

They're probably domestic brands in places like China, India and South America that no-one from the west would have ever heard about.