Another which MBP thread (sorry)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flyersgl, Jul 15, 2010.

1. flyersgl macrumors member

I am trying to decide between three 13” MBPs. Pretty sure all will meet my needs just fine--surfing, light photo/video editing, basic business productivity. It won’t be my main Mac. Right now I am happy with the performance of my 2006 macbook, but it is physically wearing down and no longer that pleasant to work on. I am looking at:

Current base 2.4GHz MBP, $1099 educational discount.

Refurb prior gen (or at least before last bump) 2.53GHz MBP, $1,189.

Refurb current 2.66GHz MBP, $1,289.

Like I said, I think any would suit my needs, but I am unclear about the changes from the prior gen MBPs to the current ones. The prior gen one seems a good compromise between the two current ones, but I don’t know if the current ones have advantages. I am also not sure if I’d see a big performance upgrade by going from the 2.4GHz to the 2.66GHz. I have yet to come close to filling up a hard drive on any computer I have ever owned.

Money IS important, but these are only separated by $200 so I don’t want it to be a driving factor. The free iPod is also immaterial. I don’t need it, and would just end up giving it to my kid rather than trying to get money for it.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

• Choose base 13" current generation 2.4, the old 2.53 is a slower system and more expensive. The cpu is just one part of the computer.
    • the better graphics card 320m and better battery life in the new one kills the old one.
    • older software on the refurb 2.53 also. Not 100% it has os x 10.6 even!
    • bad motherboard on the old 13" 9400m (see thread about why the heck will my harddrive not work!) MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.7 Problems Don't purchase the old 13".

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Base 13 for sure.
    I wouldn't recommend a previous generation because the newer one has better graphics, battery, etc. I couldn't recommend a 2.66ghz upgrade either as the performance gains would just be a few seconds here and there when doing hard core processing. Otherwise it's unnoticeable difference.

Tell me how you like your Mac. I'm planning to buy the baseline MBP too!

4. willieva macrumors 6502

You'll be hard pressed to notice a speed difference between the different processors. The current base mbp will be just fine, and has the best battery life. Save the money and give your kid the ipod. He/she will be psyched.

5. flyersgl thread starter macrumors member

Wow, consensus! I appreciate the input. My kid is already happy to be getting the old Macbook, she'll freak out when the touch arrives.