Another "why was my thread moved to wasteland?"

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by RobertD63, Dec 14, 2008.

1. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

I'm Just wondering why this thread was moved? No reply saying why or anything? I was going to Post in it to :D. Lol

2. 119576 Guest

The issue has been outlined in another thread with a similar topic.
    (while it is a different statistic being discussed, the principal is the same)

Courtesy of WildCowboy

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

There are often issues like this that aren't explained.
    I've experienced a lot first hand.
    Just ignore it, hopefully you will find a reason in the future.

4. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

So your telling me that you move threads to somewhere where no one can reply or do anything to the thread just because its not getting hits? Or being helpful (not sure if you really can be much help in photo gallery). To me that seems that it has NO point what so ever. Your moving a thread to where it can be used anymore while its still taking space on the server.:confused::confused:

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Issues like this should be handled in a PM to a mode or admin and not in a public post.

6. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay? I wouldn't know who to send it to. They might have no idea of it. Things are ran a little weird around here.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's spelled out in the forum rules.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

Not sure why you think things are weird here. This is one of the best run forums out there, especially given its level of traffic.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You can contact a mod by using the "report" icon next to any post.
    BTW, contacting mods usually don't work for me.
    I had a big issue going on and send Blue Velvet a PM about it, he never replied.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

At least half of the threads posted here, could, or should be wasted.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Perhaps she never got the PM. There are others mods and admins you can email if you feel the need.

11. 119576 Guest

The moderators are incredibly busy and as far as your PM to BlueVelvet, she may not have received it. You could try PMing another moderator to resolve your issue.

[edit]damn you, rdowns[/edit]

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I would have PMed another mod but I don't think any other mods were involved in it and I believe (s)he is the one that closed it.

13. 119576 Guest

All of the moderators are there to help and to moderate, not only those directly involved with individual cases.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I tend not to reply to PMs that are discourteous and rude.

15. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

I hadn't expected this kind of reply. Firstly, I think when rude/short PMs are sent, moderators cannot take them personally and should respond to them, in the event some reason was not given in the thread when it was wastelanded. Just common courtesy. Someohow, it does not seem right for a moderator to simply ignore a PM, which then often leads to the OP starting a topic in Site Feedback. :rolleyes:

Secondly, I thought all PMs sent gets posted/discussed in the Moderator section of the forum, although that may be the case when a post gets reported.

16. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Now I would love to know why the posts I did in this thread where I showed the message I sent to Blue Velvet was deleted.

17. 119576 Guest

You're looking at it the wrong way. It is not the moderators' job to put up with people being rude or abrupt, it is their job (voluntarily) to keep the forums free of troublemakers and of pointless threads, among other things.

If a user is taking the time to send a PM to a moderator, they should also use a little restraint and common decency in their message. If they are angry at the time, they should calm down first, reassess their situation and then send the PM if they still feel the need.

No moderator or indeed user should have to put up with rudeness at all.

This can be discussed with a moderator through the medium of polite private messages.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That courtesy should be extended in the first place. I am a volunteer here who puts considerable time and effort into this site and will not tolerate being spoken to discourteously as someone's servant with remarks that are purely conjectural. I have confidence in speaking for other moderators' views on this.

Which, once again, is stressed in threads here and in the Forum Rules as something not to do:

All PMs do not get discussed in the Moderator section of the forum. Only relevant ones.

19. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

As I states before, the last time I did that he never replied.
    Also, I never have had any intentions to be rude.

20. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

@ Blue Velvet:

Well, ok, thanks for that. It seems like which came first, chicken or the egg. :confused: I realise moderation is volunteer-basis and you're not getting paid, but then you should know it's a thankless job and you signed up for it, so you should expect a certain level of animosity or curtness when dealing in PM with disgruntled members, where often politeness is the first thing to go.

21. bartelby macrumors Core

Then they do not deserve a reply. I know if people are rude to me in real life I just ignore them.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I expect it but I do not have to respond to it. I will also add:

How to send messages to moderators

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

To mods, especially BV..
    Sorry if I ever seemed rude or ungrateful to you, those were never any of my intentions.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's OK. We're handling this by PM now... let's not clutter this thread any more with specific questions about your problem.

25. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Interesting thread about dealing with mods.

Since we're on the topic of contacting mods, may I ask:

- if a post of mine is deleted, and I wish to enquire with the relevant mod, how can I find out which mod to contact?

Example: I had a post of mine deleted in a thread about condoms and the french, (which iBlue also posted in btw), and while smutty, it was no more smutty than many of the other posts.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't iBlue who deleted my post as her posts were just as smutty as everyone else's in that thread. So who to contact about it?