Anti glare option is it clear?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by farhat2tube, Jun 14, 2012.

1. farhat2tube macrumors newbie

This may already be up somewhere, but since the anti glare hi res option is available for the mid 2012 uMBP, is the anti glare an extra coating on an existing screen without the glass panel?

Does the anti glare show these little specs that makes photos less clear or is it 100% similar to a windows notebook without glass screen..?

my iphone has an antiglare layer and the image became less clear and not sharp compared to one without any additional layering.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I'm pretty sure it's the same screen, just without the glass in front of it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not an extra coating. It does have the glass removed.

4. farhat2tube thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea i understand theres no glass, but the actual lcd ( the one underneth the glass) is layered with anti glare coating or do the have an anti glare screen similar to those desktop monitors from a windows pc..?

Ill be doing alot of rendering and archicad thus it needs to look seriously clear and non glossy..

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The antiglare screen is exactly the glossy screen with the glass removed. There is no extra coating on it.

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Why do they charge MORE for it then? Lol.

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Because they can.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly! Supply and demand, baby!

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I am fairly certain there is AR coating on it.

10. farhat2tube thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously? Is it worth it though? I can order anytime, the only prob being anti glare hi res or the normal gloss.

Although i love the black glass look, i own a dell xps 1640 and the gloss is unbearable outside and in a studio. But the dells screen is so crisp and clear, retina-like.. But afraid if i change to non glossy, although i dont mind colour fade (coz it will be true printing colour-good for architectural renderings), im afraid of the visible pixels and grainy images from anti glare screens most that ive seen.

11. Eallan macrumors 6502

I'm reading this on one right now, it is absolutely not the same screen with glass removed. There is definitely some sort of matte finish/coating going on here.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have any official sources that refer to that? Because I've never heard of anything that indicates that. I'd very much like a link, if you have one.

13. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

If you were to upgrade the screen get both the anti-glare and hi res option. At that point it is very much worth it.

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I don't have anything official. However, I did own one and have quite a bit of experience with displays. For comparison, the display is quite different from the MacBook Air (which is glossy but no glass).

The display under the glass MacBook Pro is likely the same as the Air, whereas the Antiglare option has a coating (see: screen-door effect)

15. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

You can't get anti glare without high res.

16. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Good call. I thought it was the other way around.

17. kolax macrumors G3

It is a matte finish, not a glossy finish. Your post implies that all Apple did was remove the glass and call it an antiglare, but it is a proper matte panel, like they've always used on their matte screens.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Everything I've read for years implies exactly that, and other than the perception of a few users, I've never found anything that disproves that. This has been discussed ad nauseam in this forum, as I'm sure you're aware. I would welcome anything from an official source that proves otherwise.

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You're wrong. End of story. Where is your "official" source?

20. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Probably the same place where your "official" source is hiding.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where is yours? That's what I've been asking for. If you can prove I'm wrong, I'll cheerfully accept that. All I've heard so far is perception, not proof.

22. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I didn't say I had one.... However, I have quite a bit of knowledge on display types. And I owned one for christ sake.

How about a video to prove it to you? You will see in the video that the display underneath the glass is glossy and thus NOT the same as the Antiglare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4LLOhLH20E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1jZp3P2NHw&feature=channel&list=UL

So I have to prove you wrong despite you offering NOTHING to support your claim. I offered hard knowledge not simply my perception. See the MacBook Air comments above.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So have I. That doesn't prove anything.

24. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

What did you offer exactly? Stuff you "read."

Watch the videos and come back to me.

25. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

When you definitively tell someone they are wrong and you are right, usually it takes more than just having some knowledge of something to prove your case.