Anti-Virus & Internet Security on mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsmed, Apr 9, 2009.

1. itsmed macrumors regular

itsmed

hi is mbp safe from viruses has anyone ever got a virus and does very one use Anti-Virus & Internet Security. in the next two weeks ill be getting my first mac and i want till c if ill need Norton or something like that :confused:

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

If your MacBook Pro use 100% Mac OS X then no... You don't need an anti-virus.

If your MacBook Pro use
    50% Mac OS X & 50% Windows... Then yes you need an
    Anti-virus.

Windows is like a virus and shoud be controled.

4. itsmed thread starter macrumors regular

itsmed

ill be keeping my old pc for anything i need windows for so ill be ok. has no one ever got a virus or security treat on a mac

5. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

You might not need an anti-virus. But still use common sense because there actually are a few mac trojans out there. Don't just blindly give apps admin access. Make sure it's a trusted app. Many people got infected by installing iwork '09 from torrent that had a trojan hiding in it. To say that your mac is 100% safe from everything is just pure ignorance.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You don't need Antivirus software with Macs. Now, if Windows will be accompanying you, then you might want to consider one for Windows if you feel your Windows usage will be significant.

However, a good way to keep Windows in line would be not to access the internet while using it.

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I have been running my older Mac laptops for years without any antivirus software and without any issues.

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

One of the best anti-virus programs is the one between your ears.

Think before opening or downloading things, consider the source.

9. itsmed thread starter macrumors regular

itsmed

would the best thing be to get it. no point spending £2000 on a mbp and not keeping it as safe a it can be.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The best thing would be to not get it. Anti-virus on a Mac behaves in the same way as viruses do on PCs. It does nothing but slow your computer down.

There are trojans (which are NOT viruses), but as long as you don't give your password to something that you are installing–unless you know EXACTLY where it came from–you don't have to worry about those, either.

Failté to the world of Macs!

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios