Anti-Virus on a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Aug 1, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I just got my MBP a week ago and of course I've heard all the stuff about how Macs never get viruses and whatnot, but I'm sure this is just because there are more PCs out there so hackers target PCs more often. If a Mac gets targeted and you don't have anti-virus, you're basically screwed. My university offers free anti-virus for Mac and PC, but will it slow down my MBP if it's always running in the background (I have 4 GB RAM)? Do any of you guys have anti-virus software or think it might one day come in handy?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    As long as you are smart about what you download, and don't download shady things from shady places, you won't be in any danger of "malware or trojans" because technically there are no viruses on Macs just those first two. :)

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It probably will not, but without knowing what it is - we cannot tell you.

If you are going to run Windows – you will want it for both sides of your computer. If not, as long as you don't download illegal things you will be fine.

4. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

OSX is a more secure platform, viruses struggle to infiltrate it, and to date all malware has required the user to give it permission to install.

if i was a virus writer, i would be flat out trying to make an OSX virus for the fame and attention, being the first virus for OSX.

5. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

No platform is safe. There are a lot more windows viruses than mac viruses, but they do exist. Being safe about your surfing and downloads is the best defense against viruses and such. I'd get antivirus and firewall protection if I were you. Much, much better safe than sorry

6. kperrone macrumors newbie

kperrone

It wouldn't be the first Mac Virus. There have been viruses for the Mac OS before. They are just very rare and the last one recorded was in 2001. I personally believe that it is NOT because OSX is a more secure operating system. It is secure yes, but nothing is 100% secure: We all know this. I believe that it is simply because no Virus creators would benefit very much from making a Mac virus. The user pool isn't large enough to waste their time. It's to much more beneficial to create and windows virus and watch it spring up on the news the next day.

But like I said, that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I'd get one. It won't hurt. I use ClamXav simply because it's free. I love free stuff.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

To stay more on-topic to the OP if you are getting it for free, I'd take it. You can just turn it off if you don't want it. I personally use Intego to be courteous to PC users because I transfer a lot of files. I'd say once a month I find something on my computer, but Intego has a lot of other features like amazing spam protection.

8. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

if your really worried about it you could download iantivirus... its free just google it

9. adamk77 macrumors 6502

10. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

i don't use anti-virus. I've gone to every sketchy malware infused website on the planet with nothing to show for it.

Just don't for instance, illegally download a program, ilife 09 for example, before its even released.

11. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I don't have an anti-virus. My friend works for a higher education inst and they insist all macs have anti-virus, Sophos to be exact.

It's totally rubbish and causes many problems with Time Machine, which is ironic really when you think about it :p

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not that Macs don't get viruses. It's the fact that there ARE no viruses in existence that run on current Mac OS X. No anti-virus program can protect you from something that doesn't exist because they don't know what to look for. Until a virus is developed for the Mac, a virus definition can't be created, so anti-virus is useless in that regard.

A Mac CAN be infected by a trojan, but that requires the user to actively install it, which involves entering your admin password. If you're careful where you get software, that isn't a concern.

Many Mac users feel they need to run anti-virus software to detect Windows viruses, so they don't send them to Windows users. If you want to do that, it's fine, but in my opinion, it's irresponsible for any Windows user to run without their own anti-virus software.

13. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Use common sense how can you defend yourself if you dont know the attacker ALL antivirus is worthless unless you work in a windows environment and do not want it to spread to them Macs are not affected!

14. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

isn't it a lot harder to make a virus for a mac?

i don't know anything about making virus'
    i just heard that somewhere.

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

A few years ago when ever a friend or I needed a serial for something I'd use my iBook just because all the nasty Win32 viruses/trojans/worms would auto download as the .exe/.vbs files and pile up on the desktop uselessly while I got what I needed...hahaha

16. theJamie macrumors member

I have downloaded ianivirus since my college said all computers need antivirus. However, I dontppan on installing it till someone checks it computer.
    I do know Trojans cab latch onto macs, but I can't remember the side effects.

17. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The Trojans for OS X tend to come along with pirated software like Adobe CS4 and iWork/iLife '09 in the most recent case.

IIRC, payload-wise, they can be a keylogger/data catcher/can respond to outside commands. (just like most any other trojan)

18. adamk77 macrumors 6502

UAC is implemented much better on the OS, so if the files do get infected, it won't spread to your system files. But that doesn't mean you're not vulnerable. Maybe a virus can't crash an OS, for example, but they certain can steal sensitive information stored in your user space, etc.

19. celticpride678

20. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'd say don't have one at all. If you must, use clamxav.

I have symantec internet security installed but only because my work requires me to have it in order to use my system on the network. It's crap, I get kernel panics every so often for no apparent reason.

21. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

iMac since June/08, and UMBP 17 since April/09. iMac has been powered on since June/08. Neither has anti virus, anti spyware or firewall software installed. I have zero problems so far. I've had 4 pop ups, but thats only because I've switched from Firefox to Safari.

There is currently no reason to run such software if you're smart in how you approach 'downloaded' software.

One can use serialbox

Tom

(moderators feel free to delete this post if I am not allowed to say Serialbox)

22. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I've never used an anti-virus on a Mac. No problems in 17 years.

23. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

because people THINK they need it and will pay money for it

and plus with all these sms exploits people will buy anything if they think it will protect their stuff

(i know apple fixed the SMS thing)