Anti-ZiPhone hostility on this Forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by spook, Mar 30, 2008.

1. spook macrumors member

Is it only me, or is there a lot of hostility on this forum towards Ziphone, mostly beyond the norm. It almost strikes me as political stance, the tone of the words in most posts seem very hostile and almost like they're on a crusade.

They come out with a lot of terms, BOOTLOADER permanently downgraded, this is broke, that is broke, I'm sorry but there is the same with the iPlus with the 3.8 bootloader and google maps facilities.

OK, so it down grades the Bootloader, which we still don't the future consequences of, but lets get rid of the:

Bootloader permanently downgraded crap, really this should be
    The bootload is downgraded, as of yet there is no way to reverse this.

If you follow this Permanently line, then we might have well just said, the iphone was permanently locked. It wasn't because we just didn't know the cracks that could be expoilted at that time.

As a little bit of advice, please leave of the hostilities.

2. Red Sox macrumors regular

Yeah I agree, people need to f***ing relax.

So, tell me, why does the bootloader downgrade matter anyways? Are there even any disadvantages?

3. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Meh, I personally love ZiPhone, its not even fair! I mean, I unlocked mine (1.0.2) and it took some time, same for the upgrade to 1.1.1 (revirginize and stuff) but I just did the upgrade to 1.1.4 and used ZiPhone, not fair, just some clicks and Boom! Im much in debt with Zibiri.

Victor

4. spook thread starter macrumors member

I'm wondering how hard they will really make it for hacked phones to upgrade.

Just think about it.

2.0 Firm upgrade out, if this bricks hacked phones, no one will upgrade, they will stick with 1.14, this is no gained revenue for the telecoms company and no revenue gainer for Apple.

But..

If they make it possible for Hacked phones to upgrade to 2.0, there still will be no revenue for the telecoms but apple is able to scoop off some for the online app store.

People are going to continue to hack it, so while they have to make a pretense of protecting the telecoms are they really going to shut it all up and lose all chance of any revenue?

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm not sure if you know this, but you left out the fact that Zebri (ZiPhone) stole this method from the iPhone Dev team, and now takes credit for it.

Downgrading the BL does have its effects as well. The 3 of you need to do some more research.

6. spook thread starter macrumors member

nope, there has yet to be one clear post on the downsides, beyond the saying you cannot upgrade back up (as yet)

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I've used Ziphone and loved it. Worked great.

What's the big deal about bootloader downgrading, nickspohn? Many phones still have the old BL, it's not like there's anything wrong with it. And What about all the softwares that allow you to revert your BL to whichever rev. you want? Is that bad too?

If we're missing something crucial here, please tell us! That's what these threads area about.

8. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

ziphone is an awesome tool. I have used it to unlock many iPhones (including mine) and jailbreak a few iPods for people.

Until 3.9fb was released, downgrading to the real 3.9 bootloader was the best method to have a fully functional iPhone. Should he start using 3.9fb instead? Probably, but it is still pretty new, and could have negative consequences of its own.

If you dont want to downgrade your bootloader, then use something else. But if you do want 3.9, or have an older phone that came with 3.9, then ziphone will probably work very well for you.

9. zippster macrumors regular

zippster

i also have much love for ziphone, as it allowed me to downgrade 3x 1.1.3 iphones(1 being mine) out of the box to use vodafone sims using ziphone 2.2.

Thanks again!

10. spinstorm macrumors 65816

First of all I have used ZiPhone/iPlus/iLiberty+

ZiPhone was the FIRST method to jailbreak new phones out the box from 1.1.3 onwards not needing to downgrade to 1.1.1 then up to 1.1.2 then soft upgrading to 1.1.3!

Zibri brought out the DevTeam method and helped lots of people - who knows when the DevTeam would have brought out the Ram disk method (that ZiPhone uses) if it were not for him.

So we ALL appreciate that!

But the bootloader is an issue if you have an official contract on a phone from 1.1.2 and up and want to keep your warranty.

OR if you bought the phone and are still within the 14/30 Day (whatever it is) exchange and faulty returns period...

In those situations do you really want to make a change that voids your warranty and is not able to be reversed?

If your not on an official contract or outside that time period then it doesn't matter - its your choice BUT I think its a valid argument as far as warranty goes!

As for iPlus/iLiberty issues - yes if you downgrade to 1.0.0 or 1.1.1 you will mess up your bootloader - BUT you can always upgrade back to 4.6 before you do that!

As far as google maps is concerned - it works perfectly so I don't know what your talking about!

If you decide to KEEP the 4.6 bootloader then you can only have the baseband from 1.1.2 which does not work with google maps locate me but that is your choice - its not an issue with the software!

Either way firmware 2.0 DOES NOT WORK with the ramdisk exploit - meaning that ZiPhone AND iLiberty+ will NOT be able to unlock/Jailbreak/Activate phones with firmware 2.0 when it is released.

Apple FIXED the ramdisk exploit for the new firmware so you simple won't be able to use any of these programmes when the new firmware comes out!

PWNED on the other hand is able to work with any firmware - the DevTeam say it is NOT FIXABLE by Apple!

So from 2.0 everyone will have to use it!

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

^ He answered the BL question.

As for Zebri, it's still a fact he stole it from the iPhone Dev team, and claims credit for it. All of you that say ZiPhone works great! And stuff, you need to thank the dev team for that.

12. Red Sox macrumors regular

OK so the only reason downgrading to 3.9 is bad is because of warranty reasons. Thats is no excuse to badmouth ZiPhone. Isn't it understood by everyone that by hacking your iPhone, you void your warranty, and take all responsibility for any damage? (whether it's software or hardware related).

I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything, but if my iPhone breaks, and I can't get it replaced or repaired for free, I'll just go out and buy another one. If you can't afford to do that, you shouldn't be taking risks. Either leave your iPhone alone, or stop whining.

13. spinstorm macrumors 65816

All the changes made by other software is fully reversible.

If you do a full restore and go back to 4.6 bootloader then Apple don't know you ever hacked it and your warranty is still valid - this is specially true if your on the iPhone contract (but also counts in the other situations I mentioned above!).

Some people don't understand the effect it has on warranty and may expect Apple to fix their phones when if they has used a different option Apple would never have known they even hacked it!

ZiPhone has been known to break Wi-Fi as well. It is badly coded and can cause that to happen (hence the fix wi-fi button in ziphone though iLiberty+ has the same button to fix ZiPhone problems!).

Also Zibri "stole" from the DevTeam and didn't credit them so there is general mistrust of him as a result.

To summarise ZiPhone negatives:

-permanent warranty voiding bootloader downgrade
    -possible broken wi-fi (not fixable at this time)

And although what you say makes sense most people don't hack their phones expecting to have to buy a new one! they just do it and when it breaks claim ignorance!

Eitherway from the June update only Pwned will be able to unlock/activate/JB the firmware as ZiPhone AND iLiberty+ will no longer work as Apple have fixed the exploit that made them both possibl!

14. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I think Ziphone is ****** compared to iLiberty, because iLiberty is reversible. Who cares if 3.9 is the same as 4.6? Even if both ways you void your warranty, might as well go with the solution that is reversible! There's no excuse not to!

Also, Zibri is an ass, considering he didnt advertise that it downgraded the bootloader. If he had told people that, alot of people would not have used it/donated.

15. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Below is exactly the kind of problem ZiPhone can cause - for every person that the unlock works for this can happen:

From: http://www.hackthatphone.com/114/iphone_information_1.html

I think ZiPhone is great just for jailbreaking but using it to unlock is a BIG risk!

16. Play4keeps macrumors regular

17. spinstorm macrumors 65816

well enjoy it while you can because the new firmware cannot be jailbreaked or activated using ZiPhone!

Only pwned will work!

18. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Method of what? Let's remember who is the real originator of the unlock method if you are referring to that. And jailbreaking method? It has been out for public use ever since, I mean if Zibri stole anything, he stole something that was put out so that people could use it! Wasn't the "Dev Team" always open to the community? They even open sourced AnySIM! Your argument is not valid. And Ziphone was the first program to develop the "all-in-one" concept; so if anything, using your logic, the guys from iPlus/iLiberty/iLiberty+ stole Zibri's all-in-one concept for the application and take credit for it.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Oh dear....

The method as in, plugging your iPhone in, and then a program does all the work, and can unlock and jailbreak by its own in a few minutes. The Dev Team PURPOSELY did not release this themselves because then Apple could easily look at it and patch over it. Keep in mind when this was going on, we did not know about 1.1.4 or the SDK release. The fact is Zibri does little, and claims so much for it. No one gives a sh-t if his adsense account money was taken out. It's mostly just a scheme.

In Zibris release, it wasn't an option to keep or downgrade the BL, it was just a given, and now people are starting to see issues. iPlus and Liberty+ are out to fix what ZiPhone broke, and what it doesn't do.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Warranty? What Warranty?

Apple clearly states that, maybe apart from new phones that haven't been activated yet, you MUST have an ACTIVE AT&T ACCOUNT for warranty.

Looking up my iPhone's serial number on Apple's Warranty page states that "this phone has not been activated". If broken, I doubt bringing it back in a "restored out of box" state with a receipt 6 months old Apple is going to give me replacement. What is your AT&T Wireless number? Don't have one? What have you been doing with it for the past 6 months?

I saw a guy in the store where something was wrong with his iPhone. The Genius looked at the screen, saw it was on AT&T, checked the warranty status, backup up his phone on a computer, brought out a refurbished replacement, put the customer's SIM in it, and activated/restored his phone.

So essentially, no AT&T (or whatever the carrier is in your country), no warranty.

So what if ZiPhone does this or that. You CAN'T bring in an older phone for service anyways if your not on an AT&T contract...

Oh no! I have to download something else? :rolleyes:

21. Red Sox macrumors regular

Wow thanks for stating the obvious!

I asked why the bootloader downgrade is a a bad thing, and people responded that it's because of warranty reasons. And obviously (maybe not to you..) they are talking about people with AT&T accounts, who DO have an existing warranty.

22. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Crap, I'm kinda pissed that I used ZiPhone now because it didn't say anything about downgrading the boot-loader is a permanent change.
    and after seeing that hackthatiphone page about a common problem with ziphone, I'm getting a little nervous.
    However, this is my main question:
    1) In June when iPhone 2.0 software is released, since I used ZiPhone to unlock and apparently downgraded by bootloader or whatever, am I screwed? Now, I cannot upgrade to 2.0?
    2) Don't get me wrong, my iphone is functioning perfectly. However, those people who had the problems such as broken wifi, phone, imei errors, etc, did the problem appear down the road or did it occur suddenly after using the program?

Sorry if the questions seem to obvious, but after reading tons of posts and discussions about ziphone, it got me even more confused/worried than before.
    Thanks , Paul

23. KDuncan macrumors newbie

To have a valid warranty you need an ATT account. If you have an ATT account, why are you unlocking anyway? Just jailbreak. No bootloader downgrade needed. This argument doesnt make sense. It downgrades your bootloader when you unlock. People are complaining its voiding a warranty they dont even have!

</rant>

24. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Paul,

My phone was broken and unlocked with ZiPhone (many, many times! :D) and now I have the beta 2.0 firmware loaded. This phone is a work/development phone and I have done all sorts of "bad" things to it and have not have issues with upgrading to the latest firmware.

Curiously, my phone is currently "relocked", so I don't know what I did in all of the manipulation of the phone that might have done that or if loading the 2.0 firmware did it. I will point out, that my phone was purchased in September, so it may still have the 3.9 bootloader. (I currently don't have the phone jailbroken, so I cannot check.)

Geo

25. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

This thread is about anti-ZiPhone hostility...